Q. After menopause, sex became painful and almost impossible. I tried Estring, an estrogen product you place up inside, but that caused a terrible yeast infection. I tried all kinds of lubricants, but they lost their slipperiness before correcting the pain and dryness.

Then I tried hyaluronic acid. It’s found in some topical products but I take it in capsules. Hyaluronic acid is said to add moisture to skin and joints.

I intended just to lubricate my knee joints from within for easier skiing. What a wonderful surprise when the dryness “down there” started disappearing shortly after I began the capsules.

Now I have sex any time I please, and the pain and dryness are so minimal that they aren’t a problem anymore. Hyaluronic acid is a bit expensive but so very worth it! My knees are doing well too.

A. Hyaluronic acid is a natural compound found in the body’s connective tissues and skin. It has been used as an injection into joints and found to work as well as an oral NSAID similar to ibuprofen (Arthritis Research & Therapy, online Jan. 21, 2014).

In the UK, hyaluronic acid vaginal gel (Hyalofemme) is used to ease vaginal dryness. A study comparing this gel to vaginal estrogen cream showed equal effectiveness (Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Dec. 2013). We could find no evidence that oral hyaluronic acid would ease vaginal dryness but your story is intriguing. We hope to hear from other women if it works for them.

1. pag

After this reader noticed using hyaluronic acid for joints had the added bonus of alleviating vaginal dryness, I decided to give it a try. I had stopped using Prempro, and wanted an alternative that wasn’t a lubricant. I am happy to report it worked for me too! Thanks for the post; no more Prempro needed.

2. Wm

I have been using Premarin for years, until recently. Recently I have been using extra virgin olive oil. The olive oil works very well and is very inexpensive and safe to use.

3. mtsk

I would like to know what the dosage strength of hyaluronic acid she was using. I have used vagifem tablets and premarin cream in the past but this does not help with the dryness outside the vaginal canal and was not enough lubrication internally without discomfort. I had a partial hysterectomy at 35 and am now 59 and believe I am in menopause. One thing I have found that works great as a lubricant is coconut oil; I believe I read about it on the site and decided to try it. It melts instantly with your body heat, is odorless and non-sticky like the KY gel can be. It immediately absorbs and lubricates I have no more pain during penetration. I would highly recommend it but I would also like to see if the hyaluronic acid would be a more natural way for me.

4. zqicvs

Is hyaluronic acid vaginal gel sold in the USA and Canada and if so under what names ?
    People’s Pharmacy response: It is more common in capsules for oral consumption, but if you search hyaluronic acid vaginal, you will find a few brands in the US.

5. MM

I received a sample while at last years TedMed conference of a great solution – it is a water based “YES” lubricant that you can order online from the UK and it is wonderful for helping with the dryness and cracking. The company is owned by two ladies and called YESYESYES. Their products are free of all the usual junk found in the personal lubes sold at most stores here in the U.S.

6. vo

Yes I would also like more info, my obgyn won’t give me testosterone.

7. LJT

Interesting about testosterone implant… where does one look for info from an MD’s office or bioidentical hormone clinic?

8. LS

Please forward to me future information/comments on hyaluronic acid.

9. Arliss

I think it is awful that Doctors do not write for Bi-Est creme with 2% testosterone. It makes a world of difference in bones and sexual desire.
    People’s Pharmacy response: Bioidentical estrogen cream would very likely have the same benefits as Premarin cream in fighting vaginal dryness. We have not seen studies showing whether it is safer than Premarin. The vagina is very good at absorbing estrogen into the bloodstream.

10. Debbie P.

The Hayalofemme gel is available from Amazon.com. I will try it!

11. VFC

Is Hyalofemme available in the US? Does it require a prescription?
    People’s Pharmacy response: It does not seem to require a prescription. You can find it on Amazon; they are getting it from the UK.

12. Y

Me too, if this works it is great news!!
    More info is needed, e.g., is Hyalofemme available in the US? Is it sold over the counter in the UK?
    Y from NM

13. V.R.

I would like to know the dose of hyaluronic acid you take and how many per day. I have seen it in 33 mg, 83 mg and 166 mg per capsule.

14. Jay H.

This is going to sound a little off the wall, but I took a two-step approach to this problem in my body. I had to have a complete hysterectomy when I was 30, and within a couple of years the vaginal dryness was so extreme that my vaginal walls were like tissue paper; they’d crack and bleed from a gyne exam. Going through menopause, of course, just made it ten times worse.
    Nothing helped, and the situation deteriorated until I finally found a very forward-thinking urogynecologist who prescribed vaginal massage, performed by a compassionate gynecological therapist who taught me how to continue daily massage and stretching at home. (She used lanolin-based massage products, and the therapy not only increased the blood flow to the area, but it renewed the supple, pliable texture my body had when I was young and intact.) She stressed that I had to keep it up myself at home; that it was a clear case of ‘use it or lose it.’
    A couple of years later, while working with a bioidentical hormone replacement specialist while trying to get a grip on severe depression, I was put on a very low dose of testosterone via a quarterly hip implant the size of a grain of rice. Not only did my post-menopausal depression and lethargy lift immediately (I mean, like OVERNIGHT!) my libido came back on line like gangbusters AND my body’s natural vaginal lubrication increased. I occasionally use a little KY to get things started, but to be honest that’s rare. The T dose is so low I don’t experience any of the possible side-effects of being on testosterone, and my physician carefully monitors my estrogen and progesterone levels to keep my body in balance. It’s worked like a dream for me–not only are my moods stable, but I have energy again, and unlike before, when a good workout would exhaust me, I’m able to build muscle mass when I work out and feel GOOD about it–energized and vital.
    All I can say is, ladies–don’t stop looking for an answer! Hyaluronic acid worked for the woman who submitted her story, but it didn’t do a thing for me. Physical and hormone therapy worked for me. These options may not work for you, but don’t stop looking! Somewhere out there there’s SOME combination of therapies that will give you back your joie de vivre! Don’t let ANYone tell you that you just have to “learn to live with it.”

15. Sara C.

I tried to follow the link to read the study but apparently it’s paid-only access. This is quite interesting to me as the estrogen cream Estrace is super expensive!!! Plus the idea of a non-hormone is appealing.

16. MJR

It’s great to hear about a treatment that doesn’t involve hormones. I do have one concern though…has anyone heard about an association between the use of Hyaluronic Acid and breast cancer?

17. AZ

How much did you take? I do not want to overdose. I am using the Vagifem and I keep getting yeast infections.

18. PRW

This is timely for me since I am concerned about the long term side-effects of Premarin Cream (prescribed by my MD), as well as my United Healthcare price of $174 per tube. This Q&A references Hyalofemme which is available in the UK. Any info on Hyalo GYN sold in the US?

19. BAH

I’d like to know what’s in it; I am allergic to all aspirin/ibuprofin/anti-inflammatory medication. Does it have any of these in it?

20. Carolyn Kay

I’ve been taking hyaluronic acid to help build bone (http://bit.ly/1iVGsGc), but I haven’t noticed any effect on vaginal dryness.

21. CAC

What drug interactions might occur with using hyaluronic acid?
    People’s Pharmacy response: We are not aware of any.

22. DS

I’d like to hear from others as well.