Q. My sister had a knee replacement in October and came home with a C diff infection. Strong antibiotics were tried but nothing helped.

She was so sick that her children rushed her back to the hospital. Her doctor suggested a fecal transplant. That sounded disgusting, but it worked. Her daughter, my niece, was the donor. My sister went back to work this week! We are all delighted it was so effective.

A. Clostridium difficile (C diff) is an intestinal infection that can cause debilitating or even life-threatening diarrhea. Antibiotics are expensive and not always effective.

A recent study found that fecal transplantation can cure hard-to-treat C diff infections in 86 to 92 percent of cases (European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, online March 14, 2014). You can listen to a one-hour interview with gastroenterologist Lawrence Brandt, MD, one of the pioneers in this field, and with Catherine Duff, founder of the Fecal Transplant Foundation at www.PeoplesPharmacy.com.

1. Jk

For over 20 years a friend has been plagued by chronic (daily) diarrhea which may have been caused by years of a “maintenance” antibiotic for a prostate infection. Doctors eliminated diseases like crohn’s and ciliac, and suggested a possible fungal infection, but were never able to cure it.
    But every year when in Japan on a business trip, he was not bothered by it. This year it occurred to him that perhaps the difference was the miso (fermented soy) soup he always consumed at least twice a day in Japan.
    On his return to the states, he purchased miso soup paste, and has consumed miso soup at least once each day. To his delight, the terrible diarrhea has not come back in the three months he has been back. Has anyone else reported a similar result?

2. Carol f

I have c diff for over a year, first family dr. Then gastro spec, then infectious spec. I have a colonoscopy but was been treated with dificid 200mg twice a day so when the procedure was done I was told I did not have cdiff and Dr. would not recommend a fecal transplant 2 and a half weeks later I relapsed with horrid diarrhea and vomiting. Tested positive for cdiff again, I need help please.

3. GC

My 48 year old daughter’s lab work was positive for C-Diff AGAIN this week. She has been treated 4 times since December 27th with Flagyl and Vancomyocin. Her local doctor has put her back on the Vancomyocin for 7 weeks at a lower, decreasing dosage. He will refer her to GI specialist if C-Diff returns!!! He says the implant is so messy! So, what if it rids her of pain and diarrhea.
    She has a GI specialist in one of our teaching hospitals. We are waiting for the call to set up the fecal transplant. The pain is excruciating! Her dentist prescribed several rounds of antibiotics in the fall and then the C-Diff raised its ugly head. We are learning a lot and appreciate this website and the article in the newspaper 4/3 that gives the link to Dr. Brandt’s interview. I am concerned about long term effects on her organs. She already has IBS, PFD, and IC. Thank you, again, for addressing this issue!

4. Sunny

I have written before about my FMT; after 5 months of C-diff, I had a fecal transplant and the nightmare stopped. This Naturopath has helped many with Crohn’s and Ulcerative Colitis with this is treatment and is now seeking registration with the FDA and is submitting his protocol for this.
    That said, I am still ill due to the toxic effects of C-diff; the toxins can impact the major organs and cause great havoc with one’s body. I have since developed several auto-immune diseases.

5. nb

Along with all of that I have found some interesting things about help for such things. I have had my colon removed and 12 inches of my intestine. The remaining intestine was reattached. Now I find that eating out can be a problem. Children’s meals at fast food places and cooking from a scratch is the answer. I do eat out sometimes but rarely eat the salads. What causes a problem is unknown, but some places, mostly fast food places, must do something to their lettuce that causes it.

6. SMP

Wondering if these types of transplants may be helpful for sufferers of Crohns & Colitis and if there are any studies underway.

7. HL

I believe these are the wave of the future in health. The gut is so much more that where you turn food into feces.
    Animals eat other animal feces when they are sick to instinctively heal themselves. I read an article of a doctor that had heard of this from a vet, if I remember corectly, and decided to try it out on humans.
    I would love to read more stories of people healed though fecal transplants.