Q. I have rosacea, and as I’ve gotten older, the outbreaks on my cheeks and nose have become more pronounced. I have tried Prosacea, Finacea, dietary change and various creams-even Vagisil! Nothing worked until a daily application of pure aloe vera (no colors or scents) virtually eliminated the blistering. It dries the bumps and it seems to prevent new outbreaks. The rosy pigment under the skin remains but is lighter. That’s a great improvement.

A. We are glad to learn of your good response to topical aloe vera. There appears to be only a little research on this treatment, but aloe vera does have anti-inflammatory activity and has been suggested for alleviating rosacea (Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, July, 2008).

1. saffy
    United Kingdom

Hi, I’ve been having rosacea for about 3 years now, no antibiotics or prescription meds work. I tried oil of oregano capsules once daily, oil of peppermint capsule, probiotic, green veg and I am using tea tree oil diluted on face and almond oil, this has given good results so far, I will try aloe vera gel too.
    Good luck everyone

2. Jane

Hi, I just want to add my experience here in hopes that some may find it helpful. I have had mild-to-moderate rosacea for several years, with primarily flushing, a frequent burning sensation, and facial redness, not so much the pimples. Over two years, I tried metronidozole and finacea, neither of which helped very much, though the finacea helped a bit. I had high hopes for mirvaso, and tried it for a week but stopped it in dismay because the rebound effect (which I hadn’t been warned or heard anything about) was terrible, and overall I was a good deal worse off than before I started it. I decided to swear off the topical prescription meds entirely, and switched to two home remedies that have worked well for me, that I read about on this site.
    For about five weeks now, I’ve applied 100% aloe vera gel as needed, which greatly soothes the burning and flushing, and also wash my face with Selsun Blue containing selenium sulfide. I’ve seen significant improvement, maybe 75-80% back to normal which I will gratefully accept, no more meds for me. I don’t seem to have the bright flushing any more, my skin is much calmer though still a little pink. Occasional tingling/burning still, but much milder, less severe, and the aloe Vera (which I keep with me at all times) relieves that a lot.
    My experience, your mileage may vary, good luck to all.

3. Mimi

Pat: What does grape juice and pectin do for you and your husband. I don’t have arthritis but bursitis in my knees….HURTS!

4. Pat C.

Certo is Pectin which also is in our body. I suspect aging reduces it? I heard about it from
    a lovely friend who lived in Ca. was filled with ‘arthritis’ and lived to 101!
    I want to be able to make up the Grape juice mixed with Pectin so daily my husband and I can
    drink 8oz of it more easily than putting off mixing a glass at a time!

5. Dori

@Kathleen, yes it was. AND, thank you Paul43, I applied aloe vera to my hives/eczema (???) this morning and no more itching! I’m a happy camper.

6. L Ryan

I’ve had rosacea for many years and been prescribed many Rx to treat it. The best results I’ve had, however, have been with Selsun Blue shampoo when I shower and a daily wipe down of generic brand of amber Listerine. I use a light moisturizer after the “Listerine” dries. I think I read about both here. This routine has worked really well for me – but appeared to shock my nurse practitioner, who would have thought nothing of recommending another prescription. Wouldn’t you think traditional health practitioners would read this column out of curiosity, if nothing else?

7. Kahleen

Pat C – what is Certo and why do you want your husband to take it in a pitcher of grape juice? Is this a home remedy for something?

8. Kahleen

Dori was the roscea on your face?

9. paul43

Aloe Vera helped my hives.

10. Dori

I was diagnosed with rosacea a few years ago, and read somewhere, maybe here, about using Selsen Blue shampoo on it. Spread it on before you wash your hair, let it set until you are through bathing, then rinse it off thoroughly. I cleared mine up. I keep up with it now by using a dab of coconut oil (anti-bacterial properties) as a moisturizer on my skin and hair every day and have not had any more flares. BTW, my sister takes one of the prescribed meds and has suffered from stroke-like episodes as a side effect. Scary!

11. Pat C.

I so appreciate all the info. and knowledge I’ve learned on this website. Recently, I was diagnosed with Rosacea. I thought it was just another sign of ‘getting older’! I don’t like it but, finding this article like many others will save me $ and time. Over 30 years ago I was trained at one of the very large hospitals to be a ‘pharmacy technician’. I learned so much! It also made me a ‘bad patient’. I have turned down sooo many Rx from Doctors because I believe many problems (not all)can be remedied by more natural choices.
    All 4 of my grown children seek their answers for meds from their local Pharmacists.
    Thank you again and could someone tell me how much Certo to use with the ‘grape juice’ so that I can make a pitcher at a time for my husband and I?

12. ariel

What do you mean prescription meds for Rosacea eventually causes harm?
    I use Azelex for years so I wanted to know what side effects should I be watching out for??
    as I have seen changes in my nose… but by the time I get to see the dermatologist she says she see sees nothing… nose gets shinier and like a gloss… and red so she keeps prescribing Azelex.

13. Joan B.

I was diagnosed with rosacea approximately 6 years ago. At that time I began drinking green tea daily for general reasons (I hate plain water). Six months later I noticed that my rosacea was gone! (I use the Davidson’s loose decaf tea bought by the lb. from Amazon and keep a large pitcher — sweetened & with lemon juice — in my fridge and drink it instead of water throughout the day.) Many people I know don’t like the taste of green tea, but this way it’s delicious. A couple of years ago I stopped taking statins and added hibiscus flowers to the green tea & now have lowered my cholesterol. (My doctor told me that whatever I was doing to keep doing it!)

14. DP

Yea for aloe vera! I have had this weird skin condition for 20 years now. it seems to be the new scourge for older folks. Pharmacuticals work for awhile, like Finacea, but then they begin to do more harm than good and one has to stop. Lucky for me, I went to a house party selling face products whose bases are all aloe vera! I can even wear the make-up (which always in the past caused an out break of the dreaded rosacea). I can use all of their products but one. They don”t advertise it as working to clear rosacea, but it does. They have a few just for blemishes and they heal the bumps sometimes overnight. I don’t know what foods I eat that cause it,for me anyway. It is something that causes a flair-up of the inflammatory process, and everyone is different. Aloe Vera does work for rosacea!!

15. Kahleen