woman with headache

Q. I have ice pick migraines. They caused sharp stabbing pain in my head all day long, 7 days a week, until I heard about mustard. I can get two hours of pure pain relief from swallowing a teaspoon of yellow mustard. If I have to go out of the house to church or shopping, I get an hour of relief, due to all the stimulation.

I have not had this much pain relief in three years. I am so grateful for the little jar with the creamy yellow elixir in it.

A. Headache experts describe ice pick headaches as “jabs and jolts” or “stabs and jabs.” Usually, the pain is severe but short lived, lasting only a few seconds. That is why there have been very few treatments tested and found effective.

Your headaches are unusual because they occur throughout the day. We trust you have been evaluated by a headache expert or a neurologist to rule out other contributing factors.

Yours is the first report we have received regarding yellow mustard helping against this migraine variant. Another approach might be hand warming. A case published in the journal Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback (June, 2011) describes a patient who got relief from his ice pick headaches by warming his hands.

1. Sheila
    Cornwall

Having had ice pick headaches for the past 7 days and taking painkillers bringing no relief at all, I thought anything is worth a try so an hour ago took a spoonful of mustard and I now sit pain free. How long for I will have to wait and see but any respite is wonderful. As I have suffered from these pains for 30 years I really hope the mustard does the trick!

2. Carl

I have had an ice pick headache for 4 days consecutively. I just stumbled across this post 15 minutes ago and at this point I am desperate to try anything. I never buy into home remedies like this, but again, any port in the storm. So I swallowed a spoonful of yellow mustard and 15 minutes… No more stabbing pains. Hopefully someone else will come across this post and try it out. Trust a skeptic, it actually works.

• Kathy B.
      New Jersey

Have had a piercing pain on my right parietal area getting pains every minute for past few hours! Am heading to frig now for mustard!

3. Icepickssuck
    AZ

I’ve had these since I was a child. I noticed that I had NONE while I was on anti anxiety meds, which I no longer take due to wanting natural remedies. I now take 5HTP and as long as I take them regularly, no Ice Picks. I missed a few days and had a few, so I googled and landed here. Also read Melatonin is helpful. This is the most painful condition, could also be described as a lighting bolt to the head. Hope you all find some relief.

4. Kahleen

I’m going to pass his on to my family members who have migranes.

5. LS

I’m glad to hear about this. I have had these ice pick headaches for over 20 years. I had an MRI without finding anything wrong. I saw a neurologist and he could not help. Only to give me meds. For the last 20 years when I get these I have taken ibuprofen every four hours around the clock.
    It seems to help what I thought was inflammation. This last time was rough and it would take 2 hours for it to kick in then I would start with pain again after four hours of taking it. I find it is like having a migraine. You have to take the meds before the pain gets too bad.
    These ice pick headaches last me for three days. Sometimes longer. I’ve always thought it was nerve pain. Still do because I hear that can be worse. And these aren’t headaches. They don’t feel inside so to speak. I sure wish there was an answer. I will try the massages. And mustard. They are very depressing especially when you try to sleep.

6. Abigail

Today I joined those who praise yellow mustard for muscle cramps. Astonishing. Very fatigued and had bags to haul up steps. The inner thigh cramps started a few hours later. Gasp and cringe cramps. A teaspoon of yellow mustard brought instant relief. Thank you Peoples Pharmacy for listening to your readers and passing along information that is so valuable. We can’t wait for years of research to validate this simple, inexpensive and effective remedy.

7. Kahleen

Very helpful information!

8. Karen

Yellow mustard is truly a miracle drug…used cold as a topical application, it will stop the pain from a burn immediately. You will need to reapply it when it becomes hard and solidifies, but as long as the pain remains, it will stop it until the initial pain goes away.

9. HN

Many ice pick or stabbing pain headaches are caused by trigger points in the muscles and tendons at the back of the neck, especially along the occipital ridge and C1 vertebrae, but also may be caused by trigger points in the upper trapezius and sternocleidomastoid (SCM) muscles. I have helped many clients to be 100% free of these headaches by releasing their trigger points with as few as three weekly sessions of therapeutic massage.
    Typically, these clients have already gone to the E.R. or their doctor first, where serious conditions were ruled out, but they were given no advice to get trigger point therapy. Many times, they’re started on pharmaceutical drugs for migraine or anxiety, which do nothing for referred head pain from trigger points (but can start new health problems).
    Remedies like mustard can be a short-term fix, but trigger point therapy by a licensed massage therapist may provide a long-lasting solution.

• Icepickssuck

Probably something to this, as sometimes mine start when I turn my head. Thanks for your help, I’m going to try this.