Q. I am 55 years old and suffer from arthritis in my knees. One day I decided to try some unflavored gelatin with tart cherry juice because my nails were not growing as well as they used to, and gelatin is said to help with that. Tart cherry juice is supposed to be a good anti-inflammatory.

Much to my surprise, the pain in my knees subsided substantially within a week! I had tried OTC pain relievers before to no avail.

I now swear by this gelatin mixture I drink every morning. I find that if I miss my morning concoction, I feel pain before that day ends. Drinking it helps me so much that I go to the gym more often and have much relief from both the gelatin and the exercise. (My nails are no better, though.)

A. We love your story! Anything that helps people exercise is worth a try.

Many readers report that tart cherry juice can help alleviate the discomfort of gout or arthritis. Others tell us that unflavored gelatin helps ease sore joints. You are the first we have heard from who has combined the two remedies.

We are sending you our Guide to Alternatives for Arthritis, with details on these and other home remedies for joint pain.

As for the nails, we have heard from some people that MSM supplements may be helpful. We haven’t seen studies, but it might be worth a try. MSM is also reputed to help ease arthritic joints.

1. TK

Trader Joe’s has the tart cherry juice at a very affordable price…and it’s the real thing!

2. Carla

How much cherry juice and gelatin is needed?

3. Mary

I would like the recipe for the gelatin and cherry juice mixture.

4. MARY M.

what is the recipe for tart cheery juice and gelatin. my nails are bad from statins, would this help?

5. John C

This is a follow-up to my 9Feb. post and request from PP’s for results. My wife mixed two oz. of Very Cherre Old Orchard brand tart cherry juice w/half a pkt. of Knox unflavored Gelatine, stirred, not heated and drank that mix, twice daily from 9Feb. to this date. She has had a positive result from this mix in the last 18 days; reduced from ‘some’ to ‘no’ joint pain from surgery in May ’13, to repair two broken knee caps.
    In fairness, time/healing could have been the predominant factor(s), but she believes that the tart cherry juice/gelatine mix has been a positive factor in relieving pain. jc

6. MAK

I would like the recipe for the unflavored gelatin mixed with tart cherry juice. Thank you.

7. Rita B.

Like others I would like to know the recipe for the tart cherry juice mixed w/gelatin.

8. Maggie B.

I am dying to try this glycerin and tart cherry remedy for knee pain — but how much of each? Please share the “recipe” for this remedy!

9. CC

ACMags – no need to be disparaging. The info about tart cherry juice and gelatin was submitted by a reader, and People’s Pharmacy quite clearly states above that they don’t know the precise amounts. They do, however, offer a recommendation, and if you read the responses above you’ll find it.