Tune in to our radio show on your local public radio station, or sign up for the podcast and listen at your leisure. Here’s what it’s about:

If you have ever wondered whether there is a good way to take fewer prescription medicines and treat more of your everyday ailments with natural approaches, Dr. Tieraona Low Dog has good news for you. She reviews the evidence on herbal and botanical remedies and reassures us that many common health complaints are best treated at home. She tells us how to treat colds, coughs and fevers in children and adults–and how to tell if a fever is serious enough to call for medical attention. She also reviews simple treatments for tummy troubles and other problems. Dr. Low Dog offers sensible, down-to-earth advice on staying healthy at home.

Guest: Tieraona Low Dog, MD, is Director of Fellowship for the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine and Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of Arizona. She has served as Chair of the United States Pharmacopeia Dietary Supplements–Botanicals Expert Committee. Her new book is Healthy at Home: Get Well and Stay Well without Prescriptions, from National Geographic.

Her website is www.drlowdog.com

If you would like to read the book and listen to the interview, check out our Listen & Read offer. In addition to the philosophy of appropriate self-reliance, you’ll get the detailed recipes of how to make simple treatments for home-based self-care.

1. Sally

I have successfully used the essential oil of eucalyptus for any type of congestion. I simply sprinkle a few drops of the oil on a washcloth and place it under the pillowcase.

2. Charles Beauchamp MD, PhD

Comments about use in children AND adults of:
    netipot with XYLITOL?
    BUCKWHEAT honey used (age > 1) in the study cited? Buckwheat honey and its self-administration on a strawberry by a child with asthma
    anti-viral activity, anti-inflammatory, anti-bronchospasm activity of Pine Bark Extracts?
    Honeybush tea and anti-viral interleukin stimulation?
    Rooibos tea anti-inflammatory, anti-stress and antiseptic activities?
    Curcumin anti-inflammatory, anti-pain activity given in a form that can be readily absorbed – curcumin phytosome?
    Benfotiamine for its anti-nuclear factor kappa beta activation properties?
    Slow, prolonged respiration for autonomic nervous system modulation?
    Enteric coated peppermint oil for intestine motility stabilization and anti-constipation effects?
    Use of bitters in people with pancreas divisum and low caliber pancreatic ducts – potential for harm?
    Probiotics for some chronic skin conditions including acne and eczema?
    Lemonbalm tincture AND Pycnogenol (French Maritime Pine Bark Extract) for performance anxiety and test performance enhancement?
    Yellow mustard for its stomach microvascular vasodilitation activity and resultant anti-nausea / anti-gastroparesis activities?

3. lexi

Tieraona is amazing. Amazing Woman. I could listen to her for hours. Because of I attended several seminars that had Dr. Low Dog as the sole speaker, I am taking an herbal course of study..

4. SJN

Dr. Low Dog is absolutely my favorite guest on your show. I wish she could be on more often!

5. Steve f

I caught exactly 6 minutes of the show by chance and heard the section on bloating and gas. Having just seen and mystified a gastroenterologist and having had a recurring and embarrassing problem for two years, the dandelion root tea before and kefir after solved my problem the first time I tried it. And continues to. Great show!

6. w

What a wonderful & timely show. I had need to try a remedy for a raging sore throat that awoke me in the middle of the night just after hearing this. Had no sage, just some sad old thyme that had a wee bit of aroma remaining. Steeped it, added honey, and a couple doses erased the pain and the tonsil-swelling that was starting. I’m now just left with a runny nose instead of the prolonged crud that’s been going around!
    This book will make a great addition to any reference library. Thank-you all, Joe, Terry & Dr. Low Dog! *****

7. A.S.

This show answered an old health issue for me. It is very difficult to remedy chronic eczema on my leg (after using many natural remedies, along with some steroid use). I think Dr. Low Dog’s comment about taking bitters that will help with protein assimilation. I plan to try her suggestion of taking dandelion tea 20 minutes before meals.
    I already take homemade high count probiotic yogurt. It is interesting that she mentioned the problem of not digesting proteins in the large intestine creating problems in the small intestine and thus allergies creating skin problems. I have been researching a connection with the skin and this may be it.

8. FLA

I want to know more about bitters. Flatulence has become my middle name lately, and I NEED to know more about the proper use of bitters.

9. Candace

This was a fantastic show. I accidentally clicked 4 stars instead of 5, but it deserves 10. I am sharing the program with everyone I can think of who cares about their health. I’m particularly eager to share with young people I mentor so they and their young children will develop the good habits of taking care of themselves more, staying out of the ER and doctor’s office.
    Would love to see this wisdom put into a course or presentation that could be taken to community centers around the country. I’d sign up to help!

10. RS

Thank you for such a balanced show about using herbals to help with illnesses. I too believe in using these methods and leaving the “big guns” for illnesses that can’t be treated by natural means. I was introduced to herbs, “grandma’s recipes”, and spices as cures for various ailments when I lived in Turkey and continued to follow these when I returned to the States. Thanks again; love the show.

11. maryrose m

I have just received her book. Have enjoyed her interviews over the years. I always find her very interesting and most helpful.

12. I Brezina

Fantastic show! Looking forward to trying the remedies Dr. Low Dog suggested for digestion.

13. J David Auner

Another great show. Dr. Low Dog is the kind of strong woman who should run for Congress. I will need to listen to the show again to figure out if Thyme is delivered as a tea or tincture.

14. Nigel H

We don’t get PP in our NPR listening area, so every time I can tune in I feel that I can’t do anything else until the show is over lest I miss something that could either A). keep me and my family healthier and live longer, or B). Change a habit that may have being doing more harm than good in favor of a newer revelation or discovery.
    This episode exemplified both. I can’t wait to get that book and devour its contents. Dr. Low Dog’s (?!) presentation reflected the mark of a true authority i.e. she made it sound easy and uncomplicated. I don’t think I heard once the giveaway and oft repeated phrase of the frustrated professional, “…what a lot of people don’t realize is…” etc. etc.

15. KLD

Terrific show – so informative. Have already ordered Dr. Low Dog’s book. The western medicine explanation of why a certain “folk” remedy works really increased my understanding – and willingness – to try Dr. Low Dog’s recommendations.

16. Diane M

Loved the show. Have shared the link on my FB page. Great information on working with your body and the natural world to maintain wellness.

17. Laurel V

For a long time, I have believed that a key to reforming what I see as an out-of-control pharmaceuticals-first approach in this world is to return to basics by applying natural health wisdom to common health issues. Dr. Low Dog provides an articulate, no-nonsense, and evidence-based discussion on herbal and botanical home remedies.
    It really is so easy to just pick up that over-the-counter medicine instead. After hearing this particular program, though, I am going to purchase Dr. Low Dog’s book and trust what my instincts have told me for years: that the natural remedies my mom and grandma used when I was young DO work. Dr. Low Dog’s observation that many parents simply give their sick child some medicine like ibuprofen, tuck him/her in bed, and leave had a tremendous impact on me, because I remember with great fondness the love and care my mom showed when I was sick. She would put cool iceberg lettuce leaves on my forehead when I had a fever. She’d read me stories and stroke my arm to comfort me. It makes me sad to think children of today are missing out on this form of bonding and love because of a loss of natural health wisdom and a powerful pharmaceutical lobby.

18. DHunt

Great show. Enjoyed hearing of ways to heal without using the over-the-counter meds. I am a member of my local herb society, and this would be a good topic to bring up at our next meeting. Thanks.

19. Joshua Rogers

I love seeing people do shows like this. Everyone needs to know that there are plenty of things you can do to take care of your health without huge doctor bills. I’ll be sure to mention this to my subscribers.