Q. I have skin tags. How can I remove them without going to the doctor’s office?

A. Most dermatologists would recommend that you have skin tags removed surgically. These fleshy growths are benign and tend to show up in skin folds such as armpits, groin or around the neck.

Readers of this column have offered a number of remedies, with varying success. They include:

• Liquid bandage: “I have used liquid bandage on skin tags with good success. Brush on twice a day. They will fall off within 7 to 10 days.”
  • Clear nail polish: “I use colorless nail polish for skin tags. Apply once daily and they will disappear in a short while.”
  • Thread: “Years ago I asked my doctor what to do about a skin tag. He told me to have someone tie a thread around it very tightly. It was a bit uncomfortable, but the skin tag soon disappeared.”

Others report success with applications of apple cider vinegar or zinc oxide ointment. If the skin tag does not respond promptly, have a doctor check to make sure it is not something more serious.

1. Karen

I get an occaisional skin tag every now and then. I had one on my neck that I was nervously fidgeting with during the course of watching a baseball game on TV. The next day the end part of the tag had turned dark and the ‘thread’ connecting it was a little red and irritated. I lightly pinched it every now and then during the day and after a few days it shrunk down and just fell off by itself.

2. JV

White iodine removed huge skin tags my husband had under his arms for many years. Simply paint on once or twice a day. I use it on my neck, where I little ones. Don’t know how it works, but it does. Walmart carries the iodine in the Latin health/beauty section. Very inexpensive. Works well on weak fingernails as well–paint on for one week, then occasionally.

3. Donnie

I rub natural d-alpha Vitamin E Oil on skin tags, 2 or 3 times a day. After awhile, they fall off. They can come back later on, and need to be retreated.

4. fbl

It is better to prevent these little nuisances. I don’t have those problems any more because I have better control of the sugar in my diet.
    If you have skin tags, please get your blood sugar checked! and controlled.

5. sarah wilson

I used liquid bandage on skin tags and it worked great. I put it on after showering for a week or so. They didnt fall off in 7 – 10 days, but they were gone next time I thought to look! Painless.

6. ER

Since I’ve gotten older (I’m 60 now), I’ve noticed more and more cherry angiomas on my body. My dermatologist says they’re hereditary, but they’re all over my stomach area and are quite unsightly. It seems as though they are increasing. Is there anything to be done for them?

7. A.F.

I recently began using a castor oil pack (castor oil and a heating pad) on my tummy for abdominal pain on the advice of my acupuncturist. To my surprise, after about 10 applications, an itchy skin tag I’d had in that area for over 20 years has vanished. Apparently castor oil can also cause skin tags to disappear.