People who are overweight are especially prone to osteoarthritis of the knees. Losing weight can be challenging, but a new study shows that it is well worth the effort.

Researchers compared diet alone, exercise alone and a combination of diet and exercise in 454 overweight older people with knee pain. The study lasted 18 months.

Diet and exercise together led to both better weight loss and less knee pain. These study subjects also had less inflammation, better function, faster walking speed and better quality of life. The investigators conclude that intensive weight loss has both anti-inflammatory and biomechanical benefits.

[JAMA, Sept. 25, 2013]

We offer descriptions of three evidence-based diet plans and recipes for delicious meals rich in anti-inflammatory compounds such as ginger, pomegranate or turmeric in our book from National Geographic, The People’s Pharmacy Quick & Handy Home Remedies. As for the exercise, walking is a great start. Aim for 10,000 steps a day. An inexpensive pedometer can help you count. Then if your doctor gives you the OK, add resistance training for added benefit.

1. Nancy L

Question… How do you take the Tumeric? And, for the Lemon Juice Cleanse…are organic lemons and pure maple syrup required? Can’t you just use regular lemons and Aunt Jemima maple syrup??? Otherwise, that cleanse could be expensive. How does it taste? How does it cleanse…through urination or bowels? I’m interested in this seeing I have chronic constipation and also need to rev up my metabolism, which I think is dead!
    An aside: for my knee pain, I’ve been taking Hyaluroinic Acid capsules, which I heard about through the People’s Pharmacy. I’ve been taking it since late April, and it really is helping. I now have my husband taking it too, but he just started so it’s too soon to tell if it is working for him.
    Anyway, thanks for the info!

2. tinhbotnghethuhuong

I started taking Turmeric every night before bed a few weeks ago. I did a lemon juice cleanse for one day( juice of 4 organic lemons 8 tblsp Pure Maple syrup, about 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper and 64 oz of spring water) to help get my liver cleansed out a bit and WOW!I had heard about its anti inflamatory properties and I thought I’d try it for pain. Well, to my surprise I lost 5 lbs! I am definately going to take Turmeric everyday. I think it’s giving me more hot flashes though. Is that possible, since it revs up the metabolism?

3. Nancy L.

Thanks for the info. I’ve never heard of this before, so I’ll have to check it out. I have heard about Glucosamine and Condroitin, but I heard it’s expensive, doesn’t “kick” in for at least 3 months, and for some people it doesn’t work. Also, I’ve sampled some of those “joint drinks” and to me, they’re nasty! Anyway, I’ll try this and let you know how it works. Again, thanks for the heads up.

4. AgnieszkaDrelichowska

Nancy, MSM is Methylsulfonylmethane. You can get it in any Health foods Store. The best one is as a powder. You can add it in to any drink and it won’t chage the taste of it at all. I take it every day as I have bad hands due to sublocked thumb joints. It lessens pain a lot, A lot! But I started taking it really because I had permanent pain in my ankle for years.
    For 2 years I was taking glucosamine but I didn’t see improvement. Than I bought a drink: Glucosamine+Condritis+MSN. Pain disappeared after 3 weeks. I continued on taking it for another year and pain didn’t come back. Now I’m taking MSM only as it’s much cheaper than the drink and still no pain. I also would like to notice that skin of my face became look younger. MSM. 3000 mg costs something like 20€ from Solgar for 228 g jar. And it lasts for approximately 4 months. It’s a natural anti-inflammatory and painkiller. It’s one of the my 3 must have supplements.

5. Nancy Lepri

Judy, so happy you’re doing better. Tell me…what is MSM???? I’ll have to look into it!

6. Nancy L.

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the knee about 18 years ago, when it wasn’t troublesome. Now that I’m older (mid-60s) the problem has gotten worse, along with the fact that I accumulated some extra weight! In the past year I started watching what I ate and have been doing modified Cross Fit exercises. I have lost 35 lbs. and granted, my knees still bother me somewhat, but since the diet and exercise regimen, the knee pain has lessened, along with my flexibility and ability to walk and just basically move. I do firmly believe that diet and exercise DO lessen knee pain.

7. Judy Z

I am 70 yrs old, only 3 lbs over my ideal weight, walk 30-40 min./day, but had knee pain, especially walking down stairs. Now on 1500 mg MSM twice a day, walking as usual, and NO pain at all. I heartily recommend MSM!