Q. I just read in one of your emails that someone used “Organic Apple Cider Vinegar” for their scalp psoriasis. I owe that person big time for writing in!!!

Do I dare say that it is the best thing I have tried since the cilantro (which was a big miracle for me). I just did it this morning and can’t believe the difference.

Before I was making the cilantro V8 smoothie each day and washing my hair with a Tea Tree Shampoo from my dermatologist, and a Tea Tree Conditioner. This morning I washed my hair with the regular shampoo that the family uses, poured the Apple Cider Vinegar over my head and let it sit for a few minutes, washed it off and towel dried my hair.

My scalp has never felt so GOOD! I can’t wait to use it again tomorrow morning. Hopefully this works for others as well. This person said to be sure to use ORGANIC APPLE CIDER VINEGAR. I just used what I had in the house, generic brand Apple Cider Vinegar and it worked wonderfully for me.

I can’t wait to get to the store to get the ORGANIC APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, maybe that will be even better. I was surprised that after my hair dried it did not have a trace of the vinegar smell (thank heavens)! Kathleen

A. So glad you had luck with the cilantro V-8 smoothie for your skin and the apple cider vinegar rinse for your scalp. We first heard about cilantro against psoriasis about 8 months ago when a reader shared this story:

“I have a home remedy that is amazing. I used to have severe psoriasis on my knees, elbows, eyes, forehead, wrists, feet and scalp. It would crack and bleed, itch and flake.

“One day a man commented on my raw patches and asked about the treatments I’d tried. I explained about the numerous prescription treatments that had next-to-no success. Steroids gave short-term relief but the problem usually came back worse than before the treatment.

“This man said to cure my skin problem all I needed to do was eat raw cilantro. He said I should eat enough to turn my stool green.

“I found that it takes a bundle each day for 10 to 15 days. I mix it in a green salad with my favorite dressing and find it an interesting flavor. My skin has been completely clear for six years. If I notice a small patch starting to get rough once or twice a year, I eat a bundle of cilantro for two or three meals and have no more skin problems!”

Another woman tried a modification: “I make a smoothie with cilantro and V8 juice in the blender. It is helping my psoriasis tremendously.”

Not everyone with psoriasis has reported success with cilantro or apple cider vinegar. Others have noted benefit with flaxseed oil or turmeric (the yellow spice in curry and in yellow mustard). To read about these approaches in greater detail you may find our book, The People’s Pharmacy Quick & Handy Home Remedies quite useful. In addition to psoriasis remedies there are affordable and practical suggestions for lots of common ailments including:

Acne & Rosacea

Nail Fungus

Psoriasis

Sinusitis

Skin Tags

Vaginal Dryness

Vertigo & Dizziness

Find this affordable paperback and other publications at this link.

1. LK

My teenage child has tree pollen allergies and also plays a stringed instrument. His finger tips had peeling skin so I thought could it actually be an allergy to the rosin which is a pine tree product? We tried OTC hydrocortisone cream for a bit with mild improvement. Then I read about this cilantro treatment. He does not like the taste of cilantro so I crushed it and mixed it with olive oil and applied it to one hand, and tested the cilantro theory by rubbing the other hand with organic coconut oil, in case it was simply moisturizing he required. We were both impressed with the results the next morning. The cilantro hand was appearing to heal already and the coconut oil hand looked about the same as before. After 3 nights of use the fingers were nearly healed. We use this on a regular basis now.

2. Mardi

I’ve used Betaine Hydrochloride supplements to deal with Rosacea. It helps acidify the stomach. My nails are less brittle, and I have had hardly any Rosacea acne since using it.

3. Jeff K.

I had no idea of this recipe. I am going to start to test it.
    Thank you very much.

4. OLD

From age 30 on I have suffered with scaly scalp, white patches that sometimes are thick and if I try to remove them my scalp will bleed. I read on your website that apple cider vinegar may work. Do I need to dilute it or just rinse full strength? I have taken so many things and tried a lot of lotions, liquids and potions and nothing has helped. For the first time in my life, the last couple of years, my scalped cleared up for months, but then came back. It’s so embarrassing that I don’t go for a haircut or color for fear my hairdresser will not want to touch my hair or scalp. Nobody else in my family has this condition. I hate it!!!

5. jbc

I have suffered from psoriasis for 30 yrs and tried everything! I always notice the patches get better in the summer, but since it’s been so rainy this season, I’ve hardly had a chance to really “tan”. I am getting married in October and with the stress, plus not much good weather this summer, it’s been acting up, especially on my scalp and in my décolletage. NOT where I need it to be for wedding! I will try this…although I don’t know about eating all that cilantro. The smoothie and the ACV sound great and added bonus? ACV makes your hair super-shiny! Thanks for the tips!

6. Muggins

I came up with a simple formula for the cilantro and V8….
    Simply combine the 2-cups V8 and a full bunch of cilantro, pulsate in your blender.
    I add a bit of fresh lemon and a hint of cayenne, tastes great.
    For the person who commented on the ACV., I am glad you are so pleased with the results.
    I started using that Apple Cider Vinegar years ago, as my scalp psoriasis was downright embarrassing.
    I rarely need to use it anymore, but I might have the odd need during a long hard and wet winter in B.C.
    There is nothing to touch it for a quick and easy result. Amazing, and I was just as thrilled as you sound when I used to method.
    BTW: I have basically quit my cilantro for drink now, as I think it was a good cleanse, but not necessary anymore.
    I just keep using the APC as a quick full body rinse of pat down (as necessary). I also use a good deep sea bath salt as a main stay for my skin. These work the best for me in the long term. I have one other tried and true little trick that has worked for me, that is a fake tanner. I use a very ‘light’ tanner, as I don’t want too much colour, but I get good results when I use it (and I will when necessary). I use TanTowels.
    M

7. Jennifer

Whenever I read about some skin care remedy …. for example, “flax seed oil” I always wonder if the writer of the suggestion (including the webmeisters here) means for the remedy to be taken orally or topically. Could clarification always be provided? Thanks.

8. V. C.

I have not hear of the cilantro V8 smoothie recipe either and would like to give it a try also

9. cpmt

Yes please. I’ve been telling people about cilantro for psoriasis…Thanks…

10. M. Cline

Does anyone know if the Cilantro effect works for Rosacea? The prescriptions for Rosacea are so very costly.

11. DD

Has anyone noticed any side effects from taking Welchol?

12. MC

What is the recipe for the cilantro V8 smoothie? I’ve never heard of it before, but know psoriasis on a first hand basis.