Q. PLEASE tell the people who are suffering from plantar warts on the bottom of their feet to use castor oil. Your newspaper column did not include this cure. You mentioned soaking warts in hot water, taking desiccated liver tablets, coating with turmeric paste, and covering the wart with the inside of a banana peel. But you did NOT discuss castor oil.

I suffered for years until I found this, and my warts are completely gone and have never returned. That was 10 years ago. It must be COLD-PRESSED, cold processed. Heritage is the best. Apply every day for as long as it takes, and cover with a bandaid or cotton ball. It does take several weeks, but the castor oil starves the virus that the wart is made from. If you could publish this, it could save many people from this awful pain. THanks you so much. Sincerely, Beth S.

A. Beth, we have heard for decades that castor oil is amazingly effective against all sorts of warts. Here are just a few stories:

“When I was a Tenderfoot in the Boy Scouts (about 1948), we had to hold hands for the opening or closing ceremony every week. I had a big, fuzzy looking wart at the juncture of my ring and little finger and the other boys hated to hold hands with me.

“Somewhere, my mother heard that castor oil would remove warts. I was VERY motivated and applied it possibly 4 or 5 times a day (I kept the little bottle of castor oil in my pocket).

“After just a few weeks, as I applied the castor oil one day, the wart just “rolled” out of its socket. The little socket it left gradually completely healed so I had normal skin there.”┬áPaul

“I had a wart on my thumb since childhood. I tried everything but it always came back. I read on People’s Pharmacy about using castor oil on knees and joints and started using it. My joints were feeling so much better. While telling a friend about using the castor oil, she said her grandmother had put it on the warts on her hand as a child. In a week they were gone. I then looked at my thumb and low and behold the wart on it was gone. The skin is smooth with not a trace of roughness:-) Thanks to the castor oil I think it is gone forever. I don’t know if it will work for plantar warts but castor oil is cheap and worth a try.” Mary

Share your favorite wart story below. Let us know what worked and what didn’t.

1. james

castor oil no way, has this been medically tested? i am all for home remedies but i need some proof

2. Wendy

I have never heard of using castor oil for warts, how amazing. To think when my kids were young they had to have treatments with that ice stuff. It would come in a thermos flask and the doctor would dip a very long cotton bud in and then apply to the wart.

3. paulbyr

Where do you get liquid lecithin? I want to try castor oil AND lecithin on the wart on my dog. (It keeps me from enjoying stroking her head.) Since she can’t lick it, I think it will be fine to use for a few weeks.

4. elke

A long time ago I applied liquid lecithin, a thick sticky substance. to a wart on my middle finger, it went away rather quickly and never came back. It was a regular rough eruption that one day appeared and got bigger. I keep a small amount in the fridge in case it comes back but it’s been over 10yrs since.

5. Cee

YES, YES, YES I am a living witness that it does work for joint problems. I rubbed it on my knee for a couple of nights at bedtime and the knee pain went away, but it’s good to keep rubbing it in. Hope this helps, because I use the same kind as in the picture above, which I get from Wal Mart.

6. DS

Where do you get Heritage?

7. jillery

I have also used the essential oil of cinnamon. It was so effective that my podiatrist uses it too. Careful as it can burn unwarted skin. lol

8. RA

Re: Plantars Warts on bottom of feet
    Many years ago my wife had several good size plantars warts on the sole of her feet. She had surgery but that either didn’t remove it all or it returned. They were both painful and itched.
    That summer we went to an ocean beach and she walked on the sand in the shallow surf. She said she recalls rubbing her feet hard into the wet sand to relieve the itching. Shortly thereafter the warts went away. She recalls the relief was almost immediate.

9. jm

Does anyone know if the castor oil also works on flat warts? Or, of any other remedy that might?

10. Torrence

I have a question about CASTOR OIL. Does it REALLY help with joint problems? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.