Q. I am an above-the-knee amputee who suffers from severe phantom limb pain. This always starts with muscle spasms.

I tried taking a tablespoon of yellow mustard and it stopped the spasms immediately, not allowing them to progress into a full-blown episode that could last 12 hours or more. What is it in mustard that is helping?

My doctor has never heard about the mustard remedy against muscle cramps. He’d like to know more so he can help other patients.

A. There have been no scientific studies of mustard against muscle cramps, but people tell us that this remedy is surprisingly effective. We’re not sure whether the magic ingredient in mustard is the yellow spice turmeric that provides the distinctive color or the vinegar or salt. Thanks for sharing such a compelling story.

We have gathered many leg cramp remedies in our Guide to Leg Pain. If swallowing a teaspoon of mustard is not effective for nighttime leg cramps, perhaps one of the other remedies will work. Roger said:

My wife gets bad leg cramps and when she does she will either reach for the pickle jar (she drinks the juice) or the mustard bottle. We read about them on your site. Both work extremely well but the pickle juice seems to work almost instantaneously.”

1. JRA

I use to have bad leg cramps, after a hard days work, until I heard about mustard, it usually takes about 2-3 tbl spoons, washed down with water, and the cramps are gone.

2. Gloria

After discovering that a spoonful of mustard stopped the painful leg cramps I had every night, I wondered if it would also work as a preventative. I now take a spoonful every night before going to bed and I haven’t had leg cramps for the past three weeks. Thank you People’s Pharmacy.

3. Denise

Are you diabetic? Sounds like you are experiencing neuropathy. You should see your medical doctor and a podiatrist. Some of my patients have had success with Capsaicin cream for this symptom

4. Anna

Years ago, I read in Joe and Terry’s column about using plain-old French’s mustard for leg cramps.
    When I get cramps in the calves of my legs at night, they are so severe that I just about break my neck trying to get out of bed so that I can get on my feet as quickly as possible. Standing up and walking around does help a bit, but the cramps still leave me in agony.
    Once I take a tablespoon of mustard, it generally helps me within a minute or so. My daughter suffers from occasional leg cramps as well, and has also found relief by taking a spoonful of mustard.
    When I’m traveling, I make certain that I have a small bottle of mustard in the car with me.

5. Mary

Several doctors have run full metabolic panels on me; never found an electrolyte imbalance. However, one doctor prescribed potassium just in case, but it didn’t help. Another suggested calcium and then manganese — also no help. I took quinine tablets for 10 years (until FDA stopped its use for cramps); only got partial relief. Luckily a friend had read about mustard the same month I stopped quinine: and the years since then have been wonderful.
    Muscle cramps have multiple causes; no one answer seems to work for everyone. But nothing has matched mustard for me. I even keep it in my car for long trips.

6. Wilma R.

I only see dosage in one place. One says 1 tsp and the other says 1 tbl?

7. Beverly H.

I think it is the salt in the mustard that stops the cramps. I take a potassium tablet every day to control my leg cramps. If I forget and drink a caffeine drink after 2:00 PM, and I start cramping in the middle of the night, I reach for the salt shaker that has a permanent home on my headboard. If the pain allows me to hobble to the bathroom, I put (about) a 1/8 teaspoon of it on my tongue, let it dissolve, and then wash it down with (about) 1/2 cup of hot tap water.
    It takes about 1 minute for it to work. I also keep a bottle of water within reach next to my bed in case I can’t make it to the bathroom. Hot water works faster.

8. HB

I agree with those commenting on electrolyte balance not being right as cause for bad leg cramps. We’ve had success with sports drinks that we understand were designed to help athletes sweating out electrolytes, as Gatorade. After reading in this column about success with yellow mustard, we’ve also started keeping some of the small packets as given out in sandwich shops right at bedside and with us when we’re out. These are both “lifesavers,” as the cramps can be surprisingly severe and can leave me unable to even walk to the kitchen to get them!
    HB

9. AA

Because the cramp relief is so quick (almost immediately) I believe the cause of the mustard success must be that the taste of the mustard is so strong that it somehow over-rides the brain’s electrical signals that are being sent to the nervous system causing the spasm. The times that my husband and I have taken mustard, the relief was so quick that the mustard (turmeric, vinegar etc) didn’t have time to get into our stomach much less into our system to stabilize a mineral/electrolyte imbalance.
    The relief for us has come almost as soon as the mustard touches our tongues. My husband will sometimes hold the mustard in his tongue for a few seconds before swallowing. Just my opinion.
    I do however believe that proper hydration, mineral/electrolyte balance can stave of spasms in the first place.
    It would be interesting to see if biting into a lemon would produce similar results. Nonetheless when I’ve gotten a cramp I want immediate relief and really don’t want to be experimenting. ;-)

10. Tonya

It is the Turmeric powder in yellow mustard that helps settles the muscle cramps and paying attention to electrolytes is important as well.

11. Karen

I am baffled by why your discussion of muscle cramps does not (and never does) begin with attention to basic electrolyte balance. Surely attention to potassium and magnesium in the diet is more useful to all-body health than drinking pickle juice?

12. G.NM

Does the yellow mustard also help against pain in the sole of the foot?
    Feel as if I am walking on pins the whole day.