Q. A friend recently told me that she used a vaginal cream as her facial moisturizer. Have you ever heard of this and is it dangerous?

A. If the vaginal cream contains estrogen, she could be getting a much higher hormone dose than her doctor intended. Premarin cream, for example, is absorbed from the vagina into the blood stream (JAMA, Dec. 14, 1979). Other hormonal creams  such as Estrace can also raise blood levels of estrogen (Annals of Oncology, April 2006; Menopause, Jan., 2009). Smearing such a cream on the face, neck, arms or upper chest is likely to add significantly to the dose.

Readers have suggested many other  unusual products that could be used as facial moisturizers.  Some are enthusiastic about old-fashioned Prep H against wrinkles.  Others prefer products such as Acid Mantle or Udderly Smooth Cream (made by Redex Industries, a sponsor of our radio show). None of those are really as strange as some pricey commercial products containing snail slime

1. RES

I don’t know about the “wonderful” results of using these very odd products on your face
    However …… I am 84 years old & NOBODY can believe my age——usually they think I am
    In my 60’s……& I don’t feel I should advertise a particular product…..however I have been using
    Neutrogena’s “Healthy Skin Anti Wrinkle Cream” daily for about 15 years…..& I am sure it
    Has contributed to my anti wrinkled face.

2. MAXINE H.

well about preparation. h, I know of people who have used it around the eyes, as it is supposed to help reduce swelling under and around the eyes. But as a facial moisturizer, well it is kind of tacky {sticky} cucumbers sliced thin and put over the eyes is the best for me. maxine h.

3. D. Rand

I am surprised you mentioned using Preparation H as a facial moisturizer as if this was a safe practice. Would you comment on this please.
    D. Rand

4. joy

I stopped using Udderly Smooth as it now has so many chemicals in it..
    I would recommend just using Coconut oil..It does a great job moisturizing and it is good for you..I have one jar in the kitchen for cooking and one in the bathroom for my hair and skin.

5. Robin

I see you declined to publish my respectful but negative comments about Utterly Smooth. If it is because you feel loyal to Utterly Smooth I am disappointed. People should know about what ingredients are in the product. They are not healthy and I question your credibility as you continue to suggest folks use this product. I am sure you won’t publish this comment either but I wanted you to know how I feel. I really am disappointed.
    People’s Pharmacy response: Redex Industries is investigating a way to make their well priced, effective cream without parabens. We specifically list the ingredients in the product so that customers can make their own choices about skincare products. We also appreciate the fact that Redex Industries has been a loyal supporter of The People’s Pharmacy radio show for years.

6. Sara C.

I don’t know where she gets hers, but Estrace is now costing $140 for a very small tube, and that’s WITH insurance (admittedly not very good) so I sort of doubt this person is smearing it all over her skin. But of course it can’t be a good idea to do so.

7. Robin

I do not understand why your company continues to recommend and advertise Udderly Smooth products. If you look at their list of ingredients they include propylaparaben, methylparaben, and dimethicone among other things one should not put on the body. There are much cleaner skin care products on the market now. I like your site very much but the fact that you continue to push Udderly Smooth given known concerns with the ingredients they use takes away from your credibility.

8. Sharon

I’ve heard of women using Monastat on their head to help their hair grow. I just think it’s not such a good idea!!