Q. I want to tell you my success story about using coconut for treating Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). I have suffered with debilitating IBS for 20 long years.
I could never make any appointments in the morning, because I never knew if I would be sick that morning or not. I was often sick five days out of seven.
Then I saw your column on eating shredded coconut to quell diarrhea. I love coconut, so I decided to try it. I made it especially enjoyable by using macaroon cookies or Mounds bars in place of plain shredded coconut.
I was shocked when I realized that it was working! It’s been three weeks, and I’ve not had a single sick day. This is like a miracle for me, and I want to tell everyone who is suffering with IBS so that they can also start living again, like me.
A. We first heard about using coconut for difficult-to-treat diarrhea in 1998. A reader discovered that two Archway Coconut Macaroon cookies helped control this symptom of Crohn’s disease. Over the years, we have heard from others who have found that shredded coconut is helpful against diarrhea. Here are a few of their stories:

“Yesterday one of my elderly gardening clients came to the door very ill. He had gone to the ER for severe diarrhea and vomiting. The Rx meds had not stopped the diarrhea. I went to the store and got him some coconut macaroons. He called me 4 hours later and said they worked great. They stopped the diarrhea in its tracks! “

“I thought the following information interesting to pass along as a piece to the medicinal coconut puzzle. I found the following coconut information while researching other related issues and I remembered the coconut questions and comments in People’s Pharmacy. It appears no one answered the question “why” coconut works – this is always the first question I ask.
“Coconut oil contains 48-50% LAURIC ACID, a fat (the only other good source of LAURIC ACID is mother’s milk). Lauric acid is broken down by saliva or skin bacteria to make MONOLAURIN. MONOLAURIN is an amazing anti-microbial that acts like a secret agent.
“Viruses and bacteria cleverly wrap themselves in fatty acids (monolaurin is a fatty acid) so they can get in the body without being destroyed by our bodies chemical environment. When monolaurin is present, the microbes just see it as another fat and use it to wrap themselves. But, secret agent monolaurin rapidly dissolves, disintegrating the microbes protective coating, exposing it to the bodies chemical environment, where it is then destroyed.
“From what I have read, the coconut that contains LAURIC ACID, which the body uses to make the MONOLAURIN that kills bacteria/viruses, is the reason it is effective treatment for diarrhea and other intestinal issues. Everything I read referred to coconut oil, but I am assuming the same applies to coconut flakes etc, just to a lesser extent because it’s not as concentrated as the coconut oil. Much more fascinating health information about coconuts on the net or look for books by Bruce Fife on the issue. I don’t have any serious intestinal issues, but after stumbling on coconut facts and researching them myself, I am definitely going to incorporate coconut oil in my diet for immune support!! Hope this helps!”

1. debp

I have suffered from IBS for most of my life only to have it become debilitating after a life threatening bacteria invaded me and I had to go on IV antibiotics to kill it and unfortunately whatever was left of my intestinal flora as well. I was a walking mess of every symptom possible. I’d been cooking and baking with coconut oil for years and just recently read that it can help with IBS, so I started eating more of it, but wasn’t really focusing on it.
    Well, as I was rummaging through my cupboard I found 5 jars of organic coconut manna that I’d purchased for some reason but never tried nor had any idea what to do with. I decided to dig one out and give it a try. After warming it up enough to stir I took a spoonful and was in love. Every hour I was going to get another spoonful because I couldn’t stop thinking about how wonderful it tasted. Well it must have been a good dose because by the next day it cured my constipation, gas and pain. I have eaten half a jar in a few days and have never felt better!
    I don’t know if this is proven or not because it’s only been a few days but I can say at this point, I will never want to go a day without coconut manna. It’s also curbed my appetite for any in-between snacking. I’ve been sugar free for many months now so it is a tasty treat to have something sweet like this.

• col

Activated charcoal stops IBS, food poisoning, stomach upsets, flatulence etc. it comes in capsule form or in a bag. It’s cheap and should sort it out fast. 100 capsules are less than £10.

2. TM

I read about coconut helping IBS and decided to try it. It worked for me. It took about three or four days to really kick in.
    I first got the “sweetened” coconut you get at most grocery stores. My nutritionist told me to get “unsweetened” coconut and I like that much, much better. The “unsweetened” coconut is more like a fiber. The “sweetened” coconut is way to sweet for my taste.
    The “unsweetened” coconut mixes well with foods. I have put it over my cereal, in yogurt, in/over hot vegetables and in some soups. It mixed especially well with black bean soup but again the “unsweetened” has a mild taste and mixes well with foods. It is gritty and adds that quality to the food you sprinkle it on.
    I have been sprinkling three soup spoons of unsweetened coconut over the foods and that has worked for me. I hope it works for people who try it, too.

3. Maureen H.

I have Colitis, and, an taking LOMOTIL to control diarrhea. Can I take Coconut Macarron cookies WITH Lomotil, or, stop taking medication? Thank you for an early reply.

4. DS

So my HDL is 100. Is that “raising the lipid profile”? Doesn’t worry me. Saturated fat is the GOOD fat.

5. GEM

Actually, the best coconut macaroons have nothing but coconut, sugar, and egg white, with a tiny bit of vanilla and rice flour. The coconut provides ALL the fat!
    These are not your Voortman or Nabisco macaroons; you’d make them at home or buy them at a store like Whole Foods. They work wonderfully, but two of them contain 7 g saturated fat, which is entirely from the coconut.

6. GEM

Are you referring to salmon patties? Mom made them, and they were very tasty. Use canned red salmon, mix with crumbled crackers, form them into patties and fry the way you would hamburgers. She may have used a little egg in them to help keep them from crumbling. Good with green peas or beets.
    Some people add chopped onion to the patties.

7. M. K.

A recent discovery: Old fashioned, homemade cornbread made without flour is helpful for IBS. There are many variations to be found online. I’ve made some with cornmeal and gluten-free flours but still prefer yellow cornmeal only. I make a two cup recipe, then cut and freeze the leftovers. Since I don’t tolerate sweets, this is great for occasional snacks.

8. JO

Some people get loose bowels from Stevia.

9. JO

If the coconut is not working, try eliminating soy from your diet. It’s pretty hard to do, as it is in almost every processed food- including some coconut macaroons! Read every label, and if there is soy or soy lecithin, put it back on the shelf. I had diarrhea I could not get rid of and tried coconut and everything else. After keeping a food/symptom journal for 2 weeks, I discovered soy was the culprit.
    Soy allergy also makes it hard to eat out in restaurants, but it can be done. Ask questions, and especially about what kind of oil they use for deep frying. If they say “it’s not soy, it’s vegetable oil”, steer clear, as it probably contains soybean oil too. Mayonnaise (soybean oil), Crisco (soybean oil), cookies, crackers, Paul Newman’s Olive Oil dressing– you guessed it, it also contains soy oil. Read labels!!

10. Cindy B.

I have had to take Sotolol, a beta blocker, due to a dx of atrial fibrillation. I also take lots of magnesium as magnesium is very good for controlling heart arrythmias. Unfortunately both Sotolol and magnesium cause diarrhea, which I had until I added shredded coconut to my diet. I just take a couple big rounded tablespoons of the organic unsweetened coconut shreds that I get at my local natural foods store and that does the trick! No need to eat macaroons, which have lots of extra fat and sugar in them.

11. Dawn D

I just bought some shredded coconut at the local health food store (wanted to make sure it was in it’s raw form and not processed.) I’m going to start sprinkling some on my cereal and maybe make some macaroon cookies with Stevia.
    I would NOT buy your macaroons, as they are full of processed ingredients and the coconut may not actually be real coconut.
    Dawn

12. CG

Like the last person, I’m going to add this stuff to my diet but will buy the coconut macaroons. A couple cookies a day shouldn’t hurt and might do good things?? I bought a package the last time this was mentioned and ate the cookies but don’t remember if they did anything I noticed. I don’t take anything but the small aspirin daily and only aspirin if I have a pain or ?
    I do frequently eat fish and do eat yogurt daily and olive oil several days a week and cook with it. It’s interesting to me to hear others choices. …. and can anyone remember the recipe for canned salmon you fry? I know it’s made quickly because Mother made in when was running late.

13. Miss E.

I know coconut stops diarrhea but does it in turn cause constipation?

14. EBZ

Caution: Remember, however, that coconut oil is a saturated fat which raises the lipid profile.

15. DS

I use coconut oil for everything, from cooking to putting it on my skin after a shower. I am very glad to know HOW it works.

16. CRH

My doctor, a natureopathic doctor, has me take three tablespoons of coconut oil a day. I can use it anyway that I would like to. It helps with my IBS and it is helping me to get rid of body fat. My middle is coming down. I also am using the oil on my skin tags. Some have already come off after just two weeks. I don’t understand everything I’ve read about coconut oil, but I just know it works for me.

17. J. Miljer

I’ve been trying Archway Macaroons, Mounds and shredded coconut for months
    and it has been absolutely no help in my fight against constant diarrhea.

18. Dawn D

So would you recommend the shredded coconut or the oil? Definitely going to try this for my IBS!! Thank you!!