Botox has been available for more than 20 years. During that time it has become a household word, associated with cosmetic injections to smooth facial wrinkles. Now the FDA has approved it for treating overactive bladder. A Botox injection into bladder muscle increases capacity and reduces urinary incontinence. Repeat injections may be needed, but should not be done more frequently than every 12 weeks. Side effects from the Botox injection include incomplete bladder emptying, painful urination and urinary tract infections. Overactive bladder is frequently treated with medications that also have side effects such as constipation, confusion, dry mouth and dry eyes. Botox injections are intended for people who cannot tolerate these drugs.

1. DS

Eat more GOOD salt. Pink Himalayan salt at about 1/4 tsp. per half liter of water helps me to sleep longer at night without having to get up to urinate. I never used to eat much salt at all and found that the advice to eat less salt caused problems. Maybe SOME people eat a lot of salt and should cut down, but many people are cutting down who probably do not need to cut down. Eat foods with potassium and “salt to taste” works for me.

2. Barbara T.

So what kind of safe treatments are out there for overactive bladder? I was just diagnosed and prescribed oxybutynin. Don’t know what to do?????

3. MG

Beware of Botox, There are other side effects not mentioned here. If you have Myasthetnia Gravis the Botox injections could actually cause paralysis of the bladder! I have Parkinson’s Disease which may well have contributed to the urinary incontinence. I I have tried a number of treatments over the years including various Rx drugs and pelvic floor retraining exercises, But the best results came from avoiding all forms of caffeine (including chocolate) and avoiding high acid and spicy foods,

4. Karen

> reduces urinary incontinence.
    So does not eating sugar.

5. DS

If a side effect is incomplete bladder emptying and painful urination and UTIs, who needs THAT?

6. Nancy

I have gastroparesis (slow emptying stomach) which caused GERD. My gastroenterologist talked to me about Botox as a possible treatment. I haven’t done it yet, but am considering it. He says he uses it on 100’s of patients each year with my condition.