Q. I have a home remedy that is amazing. I used to have severe psoriasis on my knees, elbows, eyes, forehead, wrists, feet and scalp. It would crack and bleed, itch and flake.
One day a man commented on my raw patches and asked about the treatments I’d tried. I explained about the numerous prescription treatments that had next to no success. Steroids gave short-term relief but the problem usually came back worse than before the treatment.
This man said to cure my skin problem all I needed to do was eat raw cilantro. He said I should eat enough to turn my stool green.
I found that it takes a bundle each day for 10 to 15 days. I mix it in a green salad with my favorite dressing and find it an interesting flavor. My skin has been completely clear for six years. If I notice a small patch starting to get rough once or twice a year, I eat a bundle of cilantro for two or three meals and have no more skin problems!

A. You’ve found a remedy we’ve not encountered before. We searched and were unable to locate studies pertaining to this herb for psoriasis, but it certainly is inexpensive and low risk.
Not everyone likes the taste of cilantro (coriander leaf), but it is a favorite seasoning in Chinese, Indian and Latin cuisines.
Another possible natural approach involves turmeric. Readers have reported surprising success with this spice. Read their stories at PeoplesPharmacy.com.

1. Psoriasis Joe

Have you ever tried a cilantro pesto with pasta? It tastes delicious! – exactly the same as basil pesto!
    with olive oil and pine nuts and garlic!! ( Check online for a recipe)
    Give it a try – it’s raw and another great way to introduce it to your diet as you continue in this detoxing journey.

2. Brian F

Wish it would clear mine in a few days. It takes weeks for it to start clearing it. But for anyone that it takes long to see the effects just remember don’t give up! unless the taste gets to you like it did for me. So now I have just been putting shampoo on it, letting it sit for a few min and then wash it off. It helps a lot. Then I put vit. B-12 cream on it which helps a lot with the flaking.

3. ATF

I have had Grover’s Disease for almost 6 years now and have tired all sorts of prescriptions with no luck… I will give the cilantro a try! How long did you have it? 3 Days seems incredible for it to just disappear :)

4. KATHLEEN

has anyone tried coconut oil?

5. rpw

Cilantro drove my Grover’s Disease into remission and is my go-to remedy whenever the disease tries to break out again. All prescription medications had failed to have any effect. Within three days of eating fresh cilantro every day, all my lesions and all my itching disappeared.

6. Bill

Hi all, I am the guy that originally posted about my luck with cilantro over 2 years ago. It makes me feel very good to read that so many of you have had good results from this treatment. I have been using this as needed for over 10 years. When I first notice the small red patches, usually on my legs, I get 2 bunches and eat them over the next 3 days or so. The red spots go away in just days.
    The question was often asked about what size a bunch is. My store usually has them in a bundle where the stems would be about 1.5 inches across, maybe the diameter of a half dollar or more.
    After your patches clear up try to cut back or stop use of cilantro and see how long it takes for your symptoms to show up. It may take months, if or when they come back just try a few doses and see how much you require.
    Your thanks is all the payment I would ever need.
    Good luck all!
    Bill

7. Charlie M.

I love the taste of cilantro. I use it all the time when I cook and I feel that it enhances the flavor of the food. It’s a bonus that is has properties that combat psoriasis. I guess I need to eat more cilantro.

8. Ptr

To those who hate the taste of cilantro, it is most likely a matter of adjusting your taste buds. When I moved to SoCal from the Midwest, I literally thought the restaurants were adding strong soap to all of their fresh salsas! A few months later, I loved all things flavored with fresh cilantro. In addition to the ideas listed above, it is very popular added to soup.
    Here, Mexican soups are most authentically served with fresh chopped cilantro, diced fresh onions, and lime wedges, as well as hot sauce — squeeze the lime juice into the soup to cut any grease and enhance flavors, then add the other items to taste. Try with tortilla soup, any combo meat or chicken and vegetable soup, or posole, which is a soup made with dried corn kernels and chicken or pork. Also, a popular salad made with cilantro uses green goddess type dressing, lettuce, tortilla strips, and pumpkin seeds.
    I encourage you to start with adding it to fresh salsas and just force yourself to eat it a few times — you may not be able to stomach a bundle a day for the first few weeks, but if this could be your solution, I think it’s worth it’s worth investing a couple of weeks. As a result, you will also have the ability to enjoy superb, authentic Mexican foods!

9. Brian

I have moderate Psoriasis that can get severe in the winter months. My breakouts can turn up literally anywhere on my body when it’s bad like that, including my scalp – eyebrows – nose, and jaw line. I use a prescription cream called Cloderm on all sensitive areas where the skin is thin, and it usually clears up fast until the next breakout. The scalp is very difficult to treat, especially with a lot of hair, and I use to get fairly heavy patches to deal with. I tried creams and shampoos and nothing worked very good for my scalp until I spoke with a friend of mine who said someone she knew with scalp psoriasis tried OLIVE OIL.
    I took her suggestion and bought a bottle of “extra extra” virgin olive oil, which means it is about as pure as it can get. I soaked my entire scalp, and just towel wiped the excess oil off before I went to bed that night. The next morning when I woke up, it was as if a miracle happened, nearly all the patches and swelling were gone! The patches did come back several times, after that first treatment, but each time it did, I repeated the oil treatments and it worked with the same great results. Now after several years, I still get occasional patches on the scalp, but not enough to need the olive oil treatments regularly. I really look forward to trying this cilantro and pray it works as good for other areas I can’t keep cleared up.

10. Brian F.

The capsules did not work as good as eating the stuff :( started coming back after I stopped eating the cilantro.

11. Kahleen

Be sure to let us know how the capsules work. I am very interested because I have used the cilantro, but do not like the taste.

12. Brian F.

It has worked for me. I did it a few months ago and it was all gone. Then i stopped eating it and it came back. I have started agian and its on its way out agian! i also just ordered cilanrto capsules to see if it would work ok. Has anyone tried the capsule route?

13. Liddell

*****Hi Peggie, It might be poisons, herbicides or pesticides on the cilantro. eating it in such large quantity they could really add up. try organic, or grow your own. I’ve heard that skin problems are sometimes toxins looking for a way out.
    i’ve been reading about how important it is to care for the gut wall and intestinal flora. a lot of seemingly unrelated problems are from what’s called “leaky-gut”. large molecules of undigested proteins and other toxins get through the damaged gut wall and into the bloodstream. of course doctors don’t see the connection so they treat symptoms as best they can, but the underlying cause isn’t addressed.
    it would be good to google this. i’ve made a start by taking ginger capsules now with meals to help heal my gut wall. there are also foods to avoid. it’s interesting. i’m trying the cilantro starting tonight, but thanks to you it’ll be organic, just in case!

14. KATHLEEN V.

That’s about right. I only have used the leaves, but others have used the stems as well. I have gotten all different size bunches from the grocery store. I usually pay $2. for a very large bunch, which I separate. It only last fresh a couple days. I put the stems in a bowl of shallow water, like you may do for a little bunch of flowers. It keeps them fresh without getting the leaves soggy and mouldy. Good luck.

15. julian

hello all,
    I was wondering what a bunch means for you ? like 10 stems ? Thanks very much in advance, once I have the answer I’ll give it a try !

16. R.G

Does this work for guttate Psoriasis or Plaque Psoriasis?
    People’s Pharmacy response: The person who first reported success had plaque psoriasis.

17. KATHLEEN V.

Someone posted today on this site, but another thread that “Sencha Green Tea” was good for psoriasis, also “Oolong Tea”. I tried the Oolong Tea and saw no difference in my psoriasis, but it did lower my blood pressure (maybe because I switched from coffee as well). I’m going to watch to see the results of “Sencha Green Tea” and probably give that a try.

18. SilverApples

No change since last post. I’m going to give this 2 months and then reconsider. No spreading of psoriasis: but in my case that has always been very random in progression. If this remedy is capable of at least arresting the progression/profusion of lesions, then it is worth its weight in gold, right?

19. CD

Hi everyone, I just want to follow up about my parsley question. I decided to go ahead and use parsley instead of cilantro. It has been four days and my p has not improved but I do feel like I’m about to get my period (2 weeks early) — sorry if this is too much info. The reason I bring it up is bc parsley is a known emmenagogue — well, now I believe it. So I won’t be continuing the parsley experiment. Something pre-menopausal females out there should consider. I wonder if cilantro also has this quality? Can anyone in my category speak to this? Don’t want incessant uterine contractions. Probably not healthy in the long run.

20. KATHLEEN V.

have you tried mixing the cilantro with something you like to make it more palitable (maybe yogurt)? The only way I can get it down is to put it int he blender with V-8 and make a smoothie. The green-brown color looks gross, but I can swallow it down.

21. Kari

2 weeks and nothing? Not even a little better? I tried once and I couldn’t eat a bite. I don’t know how you all do!!! I just give it up!

22. KATHLEEN V.

Has any of your psoriais spread to your face? Just wondering. I also have scalp psoriasis and this scares me.

23. SilverApples

Two weeks in and no detectable improvement as of yet. I have randomly missed about 3 days of doses though. I’m going to try and be more diligent. I’ll post more updates later.

24. CD

Does anyone know if we can use parsley instead of cilantro. I simply cannot stand cilantro. But I love parsely. I’m also concerned that kidney issues will develop from consuming so much of this stuff. Google it. But I’ve had terrible scalp psoriasis for at least 10 yrs (psoriasis runs in my family). I’ve noticed that UVB rays help. Am in Toronto, so we can only get that for a few months (may-oct) at certain times of day.

25. Diane T

Yes you are correct…. just wondered if I could over dose lol

26. MaggieMay

Hi Diane,
    Re: Heavy Metals and Cilantro.
    The cilantro releases heavy metals and perhaps this is why the ‘cilantro’ inclusion helps work its magic for psoriasis.
    I personally take a ‘chlorella’ supplement or two, before I drink my cilantro cocktail. The point of the chlorella supplement is to ‘escort’ the heavy metals out of the body (once they have been released by the cilantro). They work well together.
    I have been working in the natural health field for a number of years; and this is my understanding of the question you have presented. It is good that you are so thorough.
    MaggieMay

27. KATHLEEN V.

@Diane T—I think the Cilantro flushing the metals out of your body is a good thing? Maybe someone with more authority could clarify this for us. Excessive metals in your body are bad for your brain.

28. ken

For optimum health, stop sugar, stop cows milk,go organic as possible,take chlorella with the cilantro.

29. KATHLEEN V.

@ Silver Apples – good luck to you. Keep us posted. I think you are correct to keeping the cilantro as close to the unaltered state as possible. You will get the most benefit that way. I myself am only able to get it down by making a V-8 Smoothie in the blender.