The antioxidant Coenzyme Q10 has been promoted for years as a way to treat heart failure. Studies gave conflicting results, but a new meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials shows modest benefit in the ejection fraction, a measure of how well the heart pumps blood.
There were 13 studies included in the analysis, and the dose of CoQ10 ranged from 60 to 300 mg per day. The primary side effect reported was digestive distress. The investigators urge further research on this supplement to see whether its benefits are limited to people with milder heart failure conditions.
[American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, online Dec.5, 2012]

1. suki65

hi, have you tried intermittent fasting? I eat between 11am and 7pm. I only drink water or sugar free brews and I take only opti omega 3 capsules my levels 7.9 to 6.2 and triglyceride 2.9 to 2.5. This is in 2 months goodbye statins they have wrecked my bones and muscles, I have just ordered ubiquinol to repair. My vitamin d is also low 17 due to the statins I have had every side effect from simvastatin, rosuvastatin, pravastatin and fenofibrate.

2. J.L.B.

Anyone taking a statin should take CoEnzyme Q10 to replace what the medication depletes from their. A very thorough study was done by the Department of Neurology, Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons, New York, NY 10032, USA and the doctors found out that statins seriously deplete the body of CoQ10. The following is a copy of the Columbia University Colleges of Physicians study.
    Atorvastatin decreases the coenzyme Q10 level in the blood of patients at risk for cardiovascular disease and stroke.
    Rundek T, Naini A, Sacco R, Coates K, DiMauro S.
    Source Department of Neurology, Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons, New York, NY 10032, USA
    Abstract
    BACKGROUND: Statins (3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase inhibitors) are widely used for the treatment of hypercholesterolemia and coronary heart disease and for the prevention of stroke. There have been various adverse effects, most commonly affecting muscle and ranging from myalgia to rhabdomyolysis. These adverse effects may be due to a coenzyme Q(10) (CoQ(10)) deficiency because inhibition of cholesterol biosynthesis also inhibits the synthesis of CoQ(10).
    OBJECTIVE: To measure CoQ(10) levels in blood from hypercholesterolemic subjects before and after exposure to atorvastatin calcium, 80 mg/d, for 14 and 30 days.
    DESIGN: Prospective blinded study of the effects of short-term exposure to atorvastatin on blood levels of CoQ(10).
    SETTING: Stroke center at an academic tertiary care hospital. Patients We examined a cohort of 34 subjects eligible for statin treatment according to National Cholesterol Education Program: Adult Treatment Panel III criteria.
    RESULTS: The mean +/- SD blood concentration of CoQ(10) was 1.26 +/- 0.47 micro g/mL at baseline, and decreased to 0.62 +/- 0.39 micro g/mL after 30 days of atorvastatin therapy (P

3. Karen

It’s additionally recommended to treat statin-induced problems, because statin drugs reduce the amount of CoQ10 available. Would be curious to know if the studies studied took statins into consideration.

4. Mary

I have seen on numerous web sites that the ubiquinol form of CoQ10 is much better absorbed in the body than the ubiquinone form.
    That means a lower dose can be as effective or perhaps even more effective since it is a bit more costly.
    Dr. Al Sears has some useful comments regarding the benefits and the necessity of taking CoQ10.
    I cannot say I notice any difference and take it for preventive purposes.

5. cpmt

I know it did help me with energy (my legs didn’t want to move) and my heart.

6. DS