Q. How good is green coffee bean extract for weight loss?
A. A meta-analysis of research on green coffee bean extract as a weight loss aid suggests that it helps people lose about two pounds a month (Gastroenterology Research and Practice, online Aug. 31, 2010). Consumerlab.com has found that pills containing green coffee bean extract are of variable quality, however.
A small study of 16 overweight individuals using the commercial standardized extract GCA™ found that those taking the green coffee extract lost roughly 18 pounds in four months (Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity: Targets and Therapy, online Jan. 18, 2012).
Scientists assume that the active ingredient in green coffee bean extract is chlorogenic acid, but they do not know how it works. It may affect the absorption or metabolism of sugars from the digestive tract. If this extract can help a person stay focused on sticking to a sensible diet , it might be worth a try.
Years ago, one reader came up with her own weight loss formula based on green tea and cinnamon. Here is Lisa’s Weight Loss Elixir: Put 5 decaffeinated green tea bags in 5 cups of water and bring to a full boil. Let steep 5 minutes, remove and discard tea bags.
Add 2 level tablespoons baking soda and stir (tea will foam). Add 1/3 cup ground cinnamon and stir briefly. Cover and let steep.
Cool the tea and move it to the refrigerator. Allow it to settle for at least two days. Then pour off and save the liquid and discard the solids (unless you know a 10-year-old who needs a science fair project on slime with attitude).
Add 1 packet Certo liquid pectin, 1/2 cup cider vinegar, 1/2 cup lime or lemon juice, 5 cups unsweetened juice (any combination of pomegranate, black or sour cherry, sugar-free cranberry or grape) and 1/3 to 1/2 cup Splenda to taste. Stir. Keep refrigerated. Drink 1/3 cup before each meal or snack. Lisa avoids high glycemic foods (white stuff like sugar, bread, pasta, potatoes and rice) because she has insulin resistance. Others may also find this helps.

1. Mike

My wife thinks I should try it also, because I love coffee so much. Maybe it would work

2. JC

I read that green Coffee Bean can interfere with Thyroid medication, if hypothyroid go carefully with green Coffee.

3. DL

The “tea” sounds like a recipe for dental decay and sensitivity.

4. c. f.

I’ve been taking GCB for about six months (3x per day), and have begun noticing a problem with bile reflux. (I have lost a few pounds on it and hate to stop using it.) Has anyone else had any side effects?

5. LJ

Often these things are recommended such as the green coffee bean but the information regarding drug interaction is not. I would like to try this for a weight loss boost but am taking Indapamide and Ramipril… is there an interaction? Also take a very small (2.5mg) Crestor. Thanks for you help. LJ
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: Sadly, there is often little or no research on herb-drug interactions. We couldn’t find anything on this combination.

6. LK

Have been taking green coffee bean ultra [800 mg twice daily] since October 2012–noticed change in bowel habit and decreased hunger. Have lost approx. 2 lbs/month. Have not changed my activity level. Have changed my eating, however, due to decreased appetite. Decided to add Raspberry Ketones. Don’t know if it’s coincidence or not, but with the 1st capsule, I became EXTREMELY hungry; waited a few days and took another Raspberry Ketone–also increase in appetite. Am back to taking only the green coffee bean. Will be changing brand of green coffee bean due to price–dosage and ingredients according to label are the same as my current brand.

7. asima

I heard about it few years ago. After that I took green coffee twice a day. It works nicely.

8. CgD

I have been faithfully taking 2x 80mg capsules of GCB extract by Healthy Hope per day (AM and PM) before meals as directed for well over 2 months and walk approx. 1 mile nearly every morning but have not lost an ounce. Perhaps another supplier’s brand would have better results, but I am hesitant to make any further investment. I am diabetic on insulin, could this have anything to do with it? I am really disappointed. Any suggestions?

9. Carla

It would be very helpful if The People’s Pharmacy could identify a good standardized green coffee bean extract and market it on this site, as you do several other products. Weight loss of 18 pounds in four months is nothing to sneeze at. It could help a lot of people.

10. cpmt

may be if you add cherry juice ? -cherry juice is good for gout. – I tried green tea and it seem ok, but when I started to have palpitations, I stopped.

11. Jimbo

Will the green coffee bean extract increase uric acid or trigger any gout like symptoms?
    Thank you.