Q. Ten months ago, I started having knee pain. I was given Tylenol, steroid shots, heat, cold, rest, and got no relief. I finally had knee surgery but that didn’t help either.
The pain and stiffness traveled to my other knee, and eventually to my lower back. My doctor diagnosed moderate arthritis and prescribed Lyrica to no avail. A week’s treatment with prednisone helped only while I took the pills.
Out of options, I finally tried tart cherry juice, which I read about in your column. Within a week, I had almost no pain. Thanks!

A. Prednisone eases inflammation but long-term use can lead to serious side effects. We’re delighted that tart cherry juice eased your discomfort. A recent review confirms that cherries have anti-inflammatory activity (Medicine and Sport Science, online, Oct. 15, 2012).
A health professional reinforces the idea that home remedies may offer alternatives to prescription drugs: “I am a Nurse Practitioner and have learned so much from you. I use the top 10 screwup lists from your book to help me avoid making serious mistakes. I like to suggest more natural remedies for common complaints instead of heavy-duty medications with the potential for serious side effects.”
The book she is referring to is Top Screwups Doctors Make and How to Avoid Them (in bookstores, libraries and online at PeoplesPharmacy.com).

1. Reggie L.

I get it at cub for 23 dollars. You take 2tablespoons a day. Good luck.

2. JR

How much cherry juice to you drink a day?

3. JS

I have had knee swelling and stiffness for three years in my left knee. I have been to several orthos and internalists with no luck getting a diagnosis. Within the last 6 months my right knee has been blown up like a water balloon. My wife had suggested to try eating cherries in case it was gout.
    I finally took her advice last week out of desperation and I am nothing short of amazed at the results. 100% of the swelling eliminated in my right knee and 95% swelling eliminated in the left. I feel like a miracle has occurred! I have been eating about 10 cherries a day for the last week that I get from my local grocery store. My results happened overnight and have been unchanged. I wish everyone reading this the same success.

4. JDS

I take 2-4 tablespoons of Montmorency Tart Cherry Juice Concentrate before bed every day. It really works for me to prevent pain and stiffness in my hand, shoulder and knee.
    I turn 70 on January 1 and used to be in a lot of pain. My shoulder was so bad a few years ago that they even took a MRI that showed tears and calcium deposits. After doubling my Montmorency Tart Cherry Juice Concentrate, the pain left and full range of motion came back in a week.
    I only went to one physical therapy session because the therapist said it was not needed.
    I get my supply directly from an orchard in Michigan, King Orchards, and order online.

5. JMR

Does anyone know whether Black Cherry (Dark Sweet) juice such as Lakewood brand’s Organic Fresh Pressed Pure Black Cherry juice have the same benefits as Tart Cherry juice?

6. JH

I have found drinking a couple of glasses of cherry juice does wonders in relief of knee and heel pain. I use ordinary grocery store (Ocean Spray) cherry juice with excellent results.

7. michelle

I got a bottle of Tart Cherry Juice at my health food store, and I’m using it for Osteoarthritis. I’ve already started using it twice a day, and I think its great. I put it in a glass of water, and it tastes fine. I’d definitely recommend this to others before they try take all those pain killers, that rot your gut, and basically all these drugs are doing is destroying your liver and other things in general.

8. marilyn

I take 1 oz. in the am and another 1 oz. one hr before bed. I swear by it. I buy it at Kroger or Meijers.