Q. I developed a skin condition on my lower leg for which my dermatologist recommended skin cream with 20 percent urea (OTC). The area was near some spider veins, and during the course of treatment the spider veins faded where some of the urea cream got on them.
I began to cover the entire spider vein area with the urea cream and now they are almost completely gone. Have you heard of using urea cream to treat spider veins?
The change was really dramatic. I assume it was due to the action of the urea on these superficial veins.

A. Yours is the first report we’ve received about urea-containing cream making spider veins (telangiectasia) fade. There is good evidence that topical urea can strengthen the skin’s barrier function and boost its resistance to microbes (Journal of Investigative Dermatology, June, 2012). That may be why it is often helpful for conditions such as eczema.
Although we don’t know why or how urea-containing cream could make small red or blue veins on the legs become less visible, the cream is readily available as a moisturizer. Our favorite is Redex Udderly Smooth Extra Care 20. Products with urea are especially effective for moisturizing skin, and the Udderly Smooth product is affordable.
To locate Extra Care 20 with 20% urea you can find it at this link.

1. SB

This sounds amazing. I have been getting spider veins with this pregnancy. Can you use this cream while pregnant?

2. Mignon

Two days ago, I received my order from The People’s Pharmacy of Udderly Smooth Extra Care 20. Two applications later, there is a more than 50% reduction in the color of my spider veins. My left foot, especially, has a large cluster of these veins – very noticeable before, much less noticeable now – to my utmost amazement. I will be telling ALL MY FRIENDS about this! The way I applied the cream is just a thin application to my feet and legs, just like one would do with any other body lotion. No bandages covering the areas.

3. mandy

can I just get this from the chemist? I think this is great that u shared this :) I will b trying thank u x

4. Wendy

I am currently using the Udderly Smooth cream with Urea and having similar great results! I’ve been putting a good-sized blob on the spider-vein area and covering with a bandage at night, and the spots have significantly faded and diminished in just a few days!

5. jm

I was very interested in this article. Are there any other known cases with the same favorable results?

6. RLM

I applied the cream at night before bed. The patches began to fade in 2 weeks and were almost totally gone in another 3 weeks. My doctor was surprised at the results and assumed it was due to the keritolytic action of the Urea on the superficial veins.

7. pat

How long treatment to remove spider veins? How many times 20% Urea cream applied?

8. Stephanie

How long did the treatment take to diminish the spider veins and how many times per day was the cream applied?