Q. You recently wrote about how to get aspirin into the system quickly in the event of a heart attack. Years ago my mother would give me Aspergum. Wouldn’t that work?
A. You are right that Aspergum was once a way to get aspirin (227 mg) into the body quickly. It is no longer available in the U.S.
Several readers brought a different product to our attention, however. UrgentRx makes a powdered aspirin (Aspirin to Go) containing a 325 mg dose designed for rapid absorption with or without water.
The standard recommendation for those experiencing chest pain or other heart attack symptoms is to chew aspirin and wash it down with a glass of water after calling 911.

1. Sandra

Interesting, though I wonder if 325mg is enough?

2. DPH

Kroger’s Value Aspirin must not have any coating since they dissolve in seconds with a little bit of water.

3. RK

What about headache powders? I have heard that they aren’t a wise choice for regular headaches because of possible liver damage. One powder has 520 mg of aspirin (along with 260 mg acetaminophen and 32.5 mg caffeine) , and they get into your system rapidly. Would that be a reasonable option if you suspect a heart attack?

4. Hafizullah

Would it work to just hold the aspirin in the mouth and let it absorb through the oral mucosa? A little rough on the tooth enamel perhaps, but this might work. Thoughts?

5. Marilyn S.

One thing that may speed delivery of aspirin is to drink some carbonated beverage.
    Doesn’t matter if it is diet or regular, it is the bubbly effect that works.
    This also works for other meds, pain killers, antihistamines, etc.
    A carbonated beverage also works to stop the hiccups and belching from gastrointestinal reflux. Sometimes when people eat too fast or swallow too large
    a portion of food, it irritates the esophagus and gives a feeling of choking or needing to throw up the food. The carbonation does produce a belch, but it relieves the choking feeling.

6. JA

Bayer Fast Relief is available in small packets to carry. I keep it with me all the time.

7. a.s.

what about Goody’s Headache Powders and B-C powders? Neither of which I’d ever heard of before I moved to Texas in ’66.

8. Jo

Oops, I just researched Bayer Quick Release Aspirin and Bayer no longer makes them. Turns out that they had not recommended them for this purpose anyway, although they aren’t harmful to use for other aspirin purposes.

9. Jo

Wouldn’t Bayer Quick Release Crystals work for this purpose? I have a few of these packets in my handbag, beside the bed, etc., as a “just in case.” I assume they’re still available since I bought mine less than a year ago.

10. Bev C.

Bayer used to make a crystal aspirin with over 800 mg of aspirin and a wallop of caffeine as well. It was pulled off the market in 2010 due to the high dose as well as the caffeine and other added ingredients. Nice to see Urgent RX is simply flavored aspirin powder!