Q. My daughters both suffer from eczema. It’s just heartbreaking. My older daughter had it on her hands starting when she was one. It was so bad that her skin started to bleed and crack, and her nails were brittle and cracked also. My youngest daughter has it behind her knees, behind her ears, in the bend of her arms and the inside of her thighs.
My great-grandmother, who is 101 and raised nine children, told me to mix olive oil in plain lotion. So I got scent-free baby lotion and mixed in extra-virgin olive oil. We applied it three times daily: after the morning bath, in the middle of the day and at bedtime.
It was amazing. After just two weeks the eczema was gone. It’s been nine months on this routine and they are still doing well.

A. Grandmothers and great-grandmothers are such a wonderful resource for common sense advice. Clearly, the olive oil is working well as a moisturizer for your girls.
Another grandmother wrote us about a different approach to eczema: “My granddaughter has had eczema forever. She tried everything for relief but still suffered. I sent her your article and a box of oolong tea bags. She just wrote me from college that the eczema is gone and her skin is normal after four weeks of drinking oolong tea!” Japanese researchers reported on the benefits of oolong tea for eczema many years ago.

1. Mellyne

I have a 5months old baby and would like to know whether to use olive oil for eczema?

2. Rosalinda F.

I’ve been suffering eczema long time ago and I’m get rid of using different cream medication that we can buy over the counter, now started using olive oil alone for almost a week and its nearly gone. Hope it will gone forever..

3. fl

I was reading in the Durham Herald on 6/27/13 that Noxzema could ease this condition. I have not tried it but did try a $40 prescription and have seen drug store solutions for the problem. Could you respond as to what other people are saying who tried Noxzema?

4. CatherinaLucy

Olive oil is the beat one to treat these type of diseases. Because one of my friend got cured by using olive oil.

5. Susan

I tried the olive oil and lotion and it really worked. I didn’t know the ratio and it didn’t seem to matter-I just made sure the oil stayed suspended in the lotion-you wouldn’t want it too oily.

6. arnie

Yes this is artical but what mix did the person use ex: 2oz olive oil to 1 oz of baby lotion?
    I would like to try this
    Thanks again

7. HK

What is the ratio of olive oil and lotion for eczema treatment?

8. patricia w.

I woke up this morning with a itch on my chin, look to see two small patches on my chin I have eczema all my life. and have a outbreak on my left hand. I try everything but nothing is working. I and tired of trying and thinking about using prescription drugs I feel and look like a monster. I don’t go out and I can’t have any pets. It not easy for me to share this but I would like some help.

9. LJT

Yes, if you find out the ration of olive oil to lotion, please also let me know!

10. PP

One child who’d had awful eczema for years found relief when they finally found that the petroleum product in everything–toothpaste, soap, shampoo, etc. was the culprit! Get products free from that and she has no more problems!

11. JPG

Interested in this article but need to know the suggested ratio of olive oil to lotion. Thanks. JPG

12. susan henderson

love the lotion idea

13. Paul C. G.

Hi, Selenium 100mcg for about 2 weeks, then cut to 50mcg daily has helped my excema go away.

14. KO

I am 48 and for most of my life I had eczema on my right lower leg, my Integrative Physician recommended I take Culturelle Probiotic with Lactobacillus GG, after taking for about 1 week the eczema was gone. After the 1st box I waited about 2 weeks to get more and during that time the eczema came back. I have been taking Lactobacillus GG every 3 days since with no recurrence of Eczema!
    Joe and Terry, I listen to you on my iPod while I am getting ready for the day. Thank you for all that you do, I have learned many things from your shows, you are a treasure!