Q. My sister is coming over in a week. I have dandruff on my face (eyebrows, nose, forehead and inside my ears). Can I cure it with Vicks or other remedies? Please tell me how.
A. Facial dandruff is called seborrheic dermatitis, and it is usually caused by overgrowth of yeast called Malassezia. Applying Vicks to the flaky areas morning and evening should help because of its antifungal ingredients.
Milk of Magnesia (MoM) might also work. Apply a thin layer after you wash your face at bedtime and leave it on overnight. Wash it off in the morning with your usual cleanser. This frequently helps, though it may take more than a week to clear the skin completely.
Here’s one reader’s report on her experiment with Milk of Magnesia: “Milk of Magnesia is FANTASTIC for rosacea, and it does a pretty good job on eczema. I use a cotton pad and dab it on affected areas morning and night. Let it dry, then apply whatever lotion or moisturizer you normally use. The moisturizer/lotion will make the white residue from the MoM disappear. Also, people with rosacea should not use foaming cleansers or toners with alcohol. They are too harsh chemically. Use cream cleansers instead. (I don’t use toners at all.)”
It probably won’t surprise you to learn that some readers have found dandruff shampoo helpful for seborrheic dermatitis (and also rosacea). Others have used Listerine for scalp or facial dandruff.

1. Mark
    Iregon

There is a product made by Neosporin called Eczema Essentials. It’s a relipid formula. I purchased three tubes of it over a year ago and I still have about 3oz left so it lasts a long time and it works wonders clear skin in three days!

2. Reighn Buenaventura

So yeah. I am a Filipino college student now. 19 years of age.
    I had this problem back when I was in 4th year High school (16 yrs old). I went to a dermatitis knowing that this is caused by the cold weather and stress. She had given me creams. The creams worked. Great relief.
    But after a year, the red spots with flakes came to show again. So I had to use the prescribed creams again. it worked well after a month of usage.
    Now, the problem is up again and I tried using the creams again but it has been a month now since i started uding the prescribed creams and nothing really happened but the condition gotten worse.
    I am loosing my self confidence now. And thinking why of all the people it has to be me. This is really depressing.
    Please leave me a message if you found solutions to this problem. Thanks. :)

• mechanical man
      manila

Hey reighn. I’m 22. Also a filipino. We have the same problem. When I was in first year college, I also went to a dermatologist and had this case checked. I was also given a cream but I don’t find it effective. What I did is I used vicks and found it effective. As for my maintenance, I use master facial moisturizer so that my skin will always be moisturized. I only use vicks when those irritating dandruffs appear.

3. Josh

The red itchy spots with the yellow spots in the middle that look like ant bites are hives. I get them as well on my face, especially when stressed. I take Ranitidine antiacid & and benadryl and it keeps them away, but I have to take them both once a day. Good luck!

4. AMP

For the last two years, I’ve been fighting a fungus which began around my ears and on my back during a very humid summer and spread to my scalp and eyebrows. I went to a bunch of lousy doctors who didn’t even look at the problem and all seemed to think I was crazy. I spent seven months of suffering and trying every shampoo and ointment possible to sooth the burning and swelling redness as it spread. When my hair began to fall out in circles all over my head.
    I finally went to a cedar sinai doctor who actually looked and found it was a fungal infection which began as seborrhic dermatitis. I got 4 weeks of oral fluconazole treatment and nizoral 2% prescription. Two years later, 90% has gradually regrown but still keeping my head shaved. It seems to be phasing out but will flare up again if I don’t stay on top of my routine. sometimes (like right now) my eyebrow is flaring and I lost all the brow hairs on one side.
    Recommended natural treatments:
    1) soak in apple cider vineqar
    2) extra virgin coconut oil
    3) tea tree oil and soap

5. Rob

The Olive Oil will also act as a moisturiser – just apply it lightly if you live in a hot climate, & allow time for it to soak in. (Try it first before going to bed, you might be able to use it at night rather than in the daytime.)

6. UB

As a doctor I am struggling with this condition. Prolonged steroid and antifungal use has side effects. For a quick relief I use SELSUN 1% shampoo, not selsun blue. I had this problem from years now and it is totally related to diet.
    Aggravating factors (dehydration, cold weather, soap use, carbonated drinks, sweets).
    Relieving factors (hydration, enough sleep, salads, sweating -after bath to ra some light exercise)
    Quick relief: selsun shampoo or lotion. Currently I don’t have enough time and most important diet checkup, if anyone has time, let me know, I will provide some material for study purpose and pinpointing probable cause.

7. L.G.

The information was very helpful. I live in a tropical climate region and like many of these people I have visited so many Dermatologists for the past 18 years. I’ve never totally gotten long term relief for facial dandruff. I’ve tried everything and I’ve developed a fear of trying new things because most product’s worsens the original problem.
    I’m glad to see that I’m not the only one dealing with this situation. It’s summer now when the problem seems to get worse. I will try some of these remedies. However I need to know a moisturizer that I can use in this climate please. Thank you.

8. Donnie

I tried the milk of magnesia only two applications and have already seen and can tell a big change for the better thanks so much for all your help.