Q. Why isn’t there a soluble 325 mg aspirin tablet available in the US? I carry two 325 mg tablets in my coin purse at all times and have read that one should take aspirin at the first sign of a heart attack, while simultaneously calling 911.
Is it better to dissolve the aspirin in my mouth or in water before ingesting it? Would soluble aspirin be more effective? Or is simply swallowing one or two aspirin with a glass of water equally effective?

A. We are not sure why soluble aspirin has never caught on in this country as it has in Europe (by the brand names Aspro and Disprin). Dissolvable aspirin is available in the U.S. only in combination products such as Alka-Seltzer or BC Powder.
You may be pleased to learn, however, that simply chewing a standard 325 mg aspirin tablet for 30 seconds and then swallowing it with four ounces of water is the best way to get its effects quickly (American Journal of Cardiology, Aug. 15, 1999). This technique produces measurable anti-clotting benefits within five minutes, compared to 12 minutes after swallowing an intact pill. If chewing regular aspirin is challenging, you can buy flavored chewable low-dose aspirin and achieve a similar effect.
There is more information on aspirin in our free Guide to Key Aspirin Information.

1. lou g

I can’t find a standard 325 mg aspirin in any pharmacy where I live. Aspirin has evolved into Enteric Coated for slow release. However, a few days ago, I asked a pharmacist and he suggested I buy chewable 81 mg aspirin, and chew 3 if I had a problem. Although I take an 81 mg EC aspirin daily, I now have a bottle of chewable in case.

2. DH

I know I am strongly allergic to aspirin and all other of that type (all I can take is Tylenol) so should I take an aspirin if I believe I am having a heart attack….kind of a crazy question???
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: Not a crazy question at all. Doctors don’t all agree on this, but if your aspirin allergy involves not being able to breathe, most would probably say don’t risk it.

3. Teri

To Joe H.– Yes, my mother always gave me Aspergum when I was a child. But I think I read some time ago that Aspergum does not contain aspirin.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE:
    As far as we can tell, Aspergum is no longer made in the USA. It did contain aspirin (227 mg).

4. Pete W.

What about Bayer Quick Release Crystals? I keep a packet of them in a bedside drawer but have not started carrying them with me. It contains 850mg aspirin and 65mg caffeine. I am 80 years old, take no meds and have been having wonderful results with Essential Amino Acid therapy controlling my cardiovascular plaque. In fact, it has gone down over the last 3 years and my cardiologist had never seen that before. This is as a result of reading and following Dr. Louis J. Ignarro’s book NO More Heart Disease. NO refers to Nitric Oxide.

5. dp

I handed a patient his aspirin tablet; He put it in his mouth and to my surprise, began chewing it. Seeing the startled look on my face, he said,”I don’t think its a good idea for aspirin to lay in one spot in my stomach and dissolve.” Made sense to me, I’ve done it ever since with my daily aspirin, followed with water. In an emergency, it’s nice to know one can take an aspirin if no water is available.

6. LS

I have no problem finding aspirin tablet – which I crush up and use for an acne/aspirin facial.

7. Joe H.

I rembember many years ago my mom having a gum by the name of Aspergum. I don’t know if it is still around. I will have to look for it and keep some around.
    Joe