Tune in to our radio show on your local public radio station, or sign up for the podcast and listen at your leisure. Here’s what it’s about:
When it comes to heart disease, wouldn’t prevention be better than cure? One of the country’s leading cardiologists, Dr. Steve Nissen of the Cleveland Clinic, tells us how we can keep our hearts healthy. Do men and women have different symptoms of heart troubles? Find out about the risk factors for heart disease: you probably know about smoking and high cholesterol, but what about emotional risk factors?
Which tests are really helpful, and how often should they be done? How useful are stents for preventing heart attacks? Learn how to interpret the medical headlines about clinical trials for heart disease, and what you need to know about diet and exercise.
Guest: Steven Nissen, MD, is chairman of the Robert and Suzanne Tomsich Department of Cardiovascular Medicine at the Cleveland Clinic. He is the co-author, with Mark Gillinov, MD, of Heart 411: The Only Guide to Heart Health You’ll Ever Need.

1. Dorothy L.

This one #877 was one of the best I have heard. I am a bit medical and I had bad reaction to stains, no good reason to take them, except pushed by drug cos. Most Drs were brainwashed into the fact the evey one needed them. I am 82. I stopped 15 yrs ago, but they did muscle damage. My history and labs are fine and no heart pain ever. HDL 60, total abt 210, tryg, abt 250. family longevity great, I exercise and eat well about 85% of the time.
    I do take Omega 3, megadosse of 5000units/daily. MY BP runs abt. 130+/- over 72+/-. of course it goes up and down occ. I do take a Ca Channel blocker and a beta blocker. I was forced? to have a coronary catheter check when I was abt. 50 When the big statin fad began. Yes, it was a big teaching hospital in the Detroit suburbs & rec. by a terrific a Cardiologist there. Bewared of new meds!!! The Drug Cos. keep pushing them. One Dr recently did the particle size test, cost MC a bunch, he would never explain it to me. (abt 15 pages). I don’t think he know how, he was an internist, but not a Card.

2. Roger Oberdacker

Excellent and useful information.

3. DWD

At one point the doctor is comparing stents to medications and that the outcome death wise was no better for stents. I have one complaint about that measurement, which has to do with quality of life. Did the stent allow a better quality of life. For me that would mean could I physically have done more vigorous activity with the stent versus meds. For me that is very important and the risks involved with the stent would be worth it if I could continue my previous activity level that just medication alone might not allow.
    Outcomes should have some additional measures other than death rate so many years later. I know quality of life is difficult to measure, but physical capability is not that difficult to measure. So would I be able to mow the same (if any) amount of lawn on medications versus a stent to give me better blood flow. It is as much a matter of how you live versus how much you live.
    I have already made the decision that statistically speaking I have probably selected somewhat a shorter lifespan because I will not take statins because they make me ache and fog my memory.

4. D.B.

Hi,
    Thanks for the great show on keep your heart healthy. Great information! I just had a physical and ended up with total cholesterol of 252, LDL of 149, HDL of 88, Triglycerides of 75. My doc had suggested that because my total number is ‘high’ I might want to consider statins. But, thanks to the show, I know that my HDL and triglyceride numbers are good. I plugged my numbers into the Framingham risk calculator and found that my risk is less than 1% over the next 10 years!!
    I will keep up with the exercise, eating lots of veggies and fruit and won’t consider statins and their negative side effects.
    Thanks for all you two do to help us sort through the research to get to the heart of what is healthy!

5. pam

What about carotid stenosis (diagnosed by ultrasound) and the possibility of parallel plaque in the heart? There is surgery to clean out the carotid(s) but wondered what Dr. Nissen would say about such an invasive procedure. At what level of blockage would it be necessary or recommended?

6. AD

I just don’t understand why American physicians keep preaching low sodium diets to prevent heart disease when the evidence is so lacking.

7. Chipito

I always enjoy the People’s Pharmacy Shows, but “Keeping Your Heart Healthy” was a particularly good one for me and my family. At 54 with 4 sons and with a positive coronary family history, I found Dr. Nissen’s advice on cardiology matters very enlightening, especially regarding unnecessary medical tests and medicines (aspirin comments), reynoldsriskscore.org, DASH diet, hard/soft plaque dynamics in heart attacks and significance of lipid profiles including updates on triglycerides.
    As some one who lost a brother, a father and grandparents to coronary heart events, this show has contributed greatly to updating my understanding of heart disease/prevention and literally was very likely a life saver for me.
    Joe and Terry, thanks a million for all you do for the health of this nation and beyond!
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE:
    Chipito,
    First, thank you so much for you very kind words. With your family history we are so glad you are taking such a proactive stance in trying to prevent heart disease. We think Dr. Nissen’s advice (and his book) will be invaluable in helping you move forward. Healthy food, exercise, emotional support, and medications when appropriate can make a big difference. Good luck!

8. CW

How do I get a show to go to my computer.
    I want this afternoons program with Dr Nissen, 877
    I understand it is free.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE:
    The show will be posted on Monday. If you return to http://www.peoplespharmacy.com and look for show # 877
    You will be able to stream audio or obtain an mp3 for free. You can also access it from iTunes. Why not subscribe to our podcasts (upper right hand corner of our home page) and have each show delivered to your computer automatically each week?

9. Durham S.

GREAT SHOW. The Show was at 07:00 on Saturday, Oct. 20, 2012 but we cannot figure out when the original show is broadcast as this show does not accept calls. I guess that seven o’clock on a Saturday morning is too early to be anywhere!
    You folks are wonderful.
    Durham S.

10. Durham S.

A very interesting and informative show: I intend to order the book by Drs Nissen and Gillinov, the CD for this broadcast that we just heard on WFAE, the Charlotte NPR station and the DASH diet book that we heard Dr. Nissen recommend. GREAT SHOW. The Show was at 07:00 on Saturday, Oct., 2012 but we cannot figure out when the original show is broadcast as this show does not accept calls. I guess that seven o’clock on a Saturday morning is too early to be anywhere! You folks are wonderful.
    Durham S.