The FDA has taken the unprecedented step of making a manufacturer withdraw its generic antidepressant from the market. Budeprion XL 300 was a branded generic that was introduced in 2006 after the antidepressant Wellbutrin XL 300 lost its patent. Many consumer complaints led the FDA to investigate the bioequivalence of this product. The FDA study revealed that the generic drug did not get into the bloodstream in an identical manner to the brand name drug. As a result, they concluded that Budeprion XL 300 was not bioequivalent to Wellbutrin XL 300 and should not be marketed. Other manufacturers of long acting bupropion, the generic compound in Wellbutrin, are being asked to test their formulations for bioequivalence. They will have to submit the data on their products to the FDA no later than March, 2013.

1. w d p

I’m on Bupropion, HCL XL tabs and the same side effects as other that want to get off, of after taking Wellburtin in the past But the druggist told me that what I’m taking is not the same as BUDEPRION ! (NOTICE THE SPELLING ) what is the truth? Please someone let me know, so iI can argue with the doctor next week.. One more thing, any advise on how to ween oneself from the Buprobion ?? Thanks wdp

2. cd

Certainly will. Who did you call? Got a phone #? Thanks.

3. gb

Agree 100% please complain (along with me- I called them last week) to the FDA – they want your feed back – we need everyone to have the same request thank you – gb

4. MN

I just got off the phone with my doctor. I’ve been taking welbutrin for years for depression (300xl). When I switched from the brand name to the generic brand, I felt it didn’t work as well. The doctor I was seeing at the time gave me a larger dose to take. I switched doctors after several years and attempts to treat my depression. My new doctor lowered my dosage but agreed that the generic is the same.
    After a while I slipped into a severe depression and another drug was added to the regimen. My doctor was away for a month and just returned. I just got off the phone with him and told him what an awful time I was having while he was away. He called in the name brand Wellbutrin which I am now going to pick up at a cost of $300. What else can I do? I was not functioning and need to show up at work. I am really upset with the FDA that it took them SO long to figure this out and that they are giving the other companies until March 2013, what are people supposed to do until then that cannot afford the medication? Depression is a life altering illness. I’m relieved Graedon figured out what was wrong and stayed on top of it. Thank you.

5. Richie

It is about time the FDA woke up and finally realized the patients knew what they were talking about when they said Bupropion by Teva was no good.

6. Cmc

This is great news for all those who found no relief with the generic and whose only option was to pay thousands of dollars to use the brand Welbutrin 300 XL or search for relief with another drug when the Welbutrin worked so well.
    Thank you Graedon’s for your efforts in this area. Maybe the FDA will act more quickly in the future when they receive high volumes of complaints about other generics.

7. cd

I wish they’d also test generic Prozac. It definitely isn’t the same or even close. I usually take it 3-4 months with the name brand but with the generic I’ve been on it almost a year and have gained weight instead of losing without any other changes in my life style or eating. No improvement on energy like with the name brand. Insurance will only pay for generic and I sure can’t afford to pay full price.

8. JC

I have recently found out the the Fl. prison system has taken this drug from inmates in confinement and is giving them something else to deal with they’re situations in confinement. This has been very helpful. Thankful.
    JC

9. D.G.

I look forward to hearing the results of the further studies, since I have recently been prescribed this med in various formulations. I am having trouble finding the dosage that works for me. Maybe it’s the med rather than my intolerance for it. Thanks so much for your updates.