Beta blocker heart medicines such as atenolol, propranolol and metoprolol are mainstays in the treatment of hypertension and heart disease. An analysis of a registry of 45,000 people with stable heart disease revealed no clearcut benefits of such medication. Researchers detected a possible benefit of beta blockers in the first year following a heart attack. Overall, though, the authors suggest that the benefits of such drugs may be more limited than doctors previously believed.
[Journal of the American Medical Association, Oct. 3, 2012]

1. TL

I have been taking Metoprolol Succinate ER for one week now for regular heart beat. The doctors say that I have a thicker heart the normal. I’m 69 and a male. I went through stress test on treadmill (Bruce protocol ) with contrast and Dr said I still had the PVC but the test was OK. (?) every thing else is shows no symptoms of heart disease. I have not had a heart attack or detected any symptoms. Blood pressure is 125/70 to 130/75 most of the time. I live in a three story house and go up stairs 17 times a day with out getting out of breath. I exercise 4day/WK and not over weight at 6′ 200lbs. So why am I taking the drug. (the only other thing I take is V C 5 grams/day.

2. Theo

I was diagnosed with Idiopathic hypertropic myocardia heart condition — a thickening of the heart muscle without known cause etc. I have been on beta blockers for about 4 days now – about 7:00PM – I’m 69 YOA and have been weight lifting since the age of 16. I’m 6′ at 210#. I don’t get out of breath with regular activity – I live in a three story house and climb the stairs at lease 20 times a day with out getting out of breath.
    All the test were asymptotic the x-ray showed the heart being larger then normal. I have irregular heart beats (they seem to stop for a second or two) then return to a regular rhythm (70 -75/min): I continue to lift weights and CV exercises 5 days/week. I take Ibuprofen 800mg every other day to help my back and other arthritis in the shoulders. Some of the side effects I read about suggest that Ibuprofen may cause heart complications. Any feed back on this info would be welcome. Thanks

3. JCN

I would like to know if a side effect of atenolol can cause a person to have a runny nose. I take atenolol and feel that it is that drug that has given me a runny nose for a long time. Thanks.

4. KB

Hmmm. I don’t know how to read this. I need to go back to my cardiologist. I have a genetic heart condition/disease called hypertropic myocardia — a thickening of the heart muscle without known cause etc. I have been on beta blockers for about 4 years 100 mg. I quit taking the baby aspirin after I learned that daily aspirin was associated with getting macular degeneration –and my eye doctor had told me I have that even though I have no symptoms. (And with diet and Lutein supplements my eyes are better:-)) Then I read here that aspirin can lessen the effect of motropolol so I’m thinking my 100 mg ought to be having a greater effect than they were/are. And how low does my pulse need to be for me to be okay? Anybody still with me? And now I am wondering if I need to be taking them at all.

5. Jean T.

I have a thoracic aneursym, my doctor has had me on this to slow my heart rate down. (Metoprolol) I have had this for 3 yrs & so far it has not changed in size,
    I am 71 yrs old.

6. Tom B

What affect will beta blockers have for atrial fibrillation from Graves disease?