Q. I honestly hate the taste of cinnamon, although my husband loves it in cookies, cakes or anything else. I am 53 and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes almost four years ago. My doctor has me on metformin twice daily.
A couple of months ago I noticed my morning fasting glucose levels were completely normal again, between 73 and 92 every morning! With my doctor’s approval, I’m now taking only one dose of metformin a day.
I believe this is due to two things. First, I try not to eat ANY white flour or rice. Second, I’ve been taking cinnamon extract capsules every morning, along with a B vitamin complex.
I no longer have any eye-focusing problems in the mornings, no tingling in my feet, nothing! I feel great. I’ve also lost 8 pounds (from 195 down to 187). I think this approach has improved my health and offer it for others to try.

A. We love success stories like yours, especially since diabetes drugs like Actos and Avandia have come under fire. There is scientific evidence to support your strategy of following a low-carb diet and adding cinnamon to your regimen. Controlled trials have shown that cinnamon can effectively reduce fasting blood sugar (Diabetes, Obesity & Metabolism, June 2012). Taking the cinnamon extract capsule avoids the problem of exposure to a compound in ordinary ground cinnamon that could harm the liver.
Readers who would like to learn more about cinnamon and other ways to control blood sugar may find our book, Best Choices From The People’s Pharmacy, of interest. It is available in libraries and online at PeoplesPharmacy.com.
The idea of focusing on glycemic load and leaving highly refined carbohydrates out of your diet has almost certainly added to your success in controlling your blood sugar and losing weight. Readers can learn more about that from our interview with Jennie Brand-Miller, PhD, and Dariush Mozaffarian, MD.

1. rani j.

my sugar fasting is………113
    my sugar glucose pp is………….192
    my age 58 years old, So what can I do? please guide

2. Katharine Berg

You cited a recipe for oatmeal with cinnamon, blueberries, cherries and gelatin on your program this morning. Could you share that recipe? Thanks

3. donald m.

What type of cinnamon do you use?

4. ms

I have been putting 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon in my coffee grounds for some time and my blood sugar level has dropped 10 points. However, I have recently developed severe joint pain and wonder if there is some connection. Can you overdose on cinnamon?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: One could overdose on cinnamon, but you are doing it properly so that it should not endanger your liver. We are not aware that it causes joint pain, but this has not been well studied.

5. cpmt

There are other diabetic drugs that also have serious side effects. The FDA hvd warnings several months ago. (6-8 mo.)

6. SteveL

She should go on an even lower carb diet and ditch wheat all together. She may find she can come off the drugs completely.

7. Dr Judi

This is really exciting. How much cinnamon should one take daily to influence blood sugar?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: One gram, or about 1/4 teaspoon, daily

8. -sb

What strength extract did you use? And can anyone advise me how much ground cinnamon I’d have to consume in order to get the same effect as obtained with extract? – Thanks!

9. LC

Do you take this cinnamon extract capsule in the morning, evening or both?