People who suffer from vertigo often feel desperate. If the problem is benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, the world seems to spin any time they move their heads. It is extremely uncomfortable, even disorienting. BPPV is caused when calcium crystals in the inner ear get out of position. Medication is not helpful for BPPV, but it can be treated with a manipulation known as the Epley maneuver.
Those who have had the Epley maneuver done in an audiologist’s office may want to learn how to do it at home. Many search the web for videos on how to accomplish this. Researchers from the University of Michigan found that 65% of the Epley maneuver videos available on YouTube presented the procedure accurately. Altogether, the videos have accumulated 2.8 million views. The most popular is one that was developed by the American Academy of Neurology. The scientists say they’ll need to do more research to see if the videos are being used appropriately by people who have been diagnosed with BPPV. The Epley maneuver is not helpful to treat dizziness from other causes.
[Neurology, July 24, 2012]

1. FMN

I just had the problem yesterday and thankfully knew about the video explanations. I viewed several videos to get enough information and performed the maneuver myself. I agree that it is very difficult to do since you are in essence inducing the vertigo and have to let it resolve in each position. I was bathed in sweat at the end, but the vertigo was gone. I was also very tired for the remainder of the day. I cannot imagine living with such a problem!

2. KG

At 73 have had bppv twice; the third time I went on line found the eply manuver, did it that night, the next moorning vertigo gone. It was very empowering to kmow that I could now control bppv if it happens again. Thanks for your great inforrmation and pod casts

3. KG

At 73 have had bppv twice the third time I went on line found the eply maneuver, did it that night, the next morning vertigo gone. It was very empowering to know that I could now control bppv if it happens again. Thanks for your great information and pod casts.

4. Helen M

I had benign etc – not so benign when you can’t walk from the bed to the bathroom, even with a cane, without help. I read about the Epley maneuver and we decided to try it. I laid on the bed with my head hanging over, very difficult for me even without the dizziness.
    My husband helped me to roll over. About 80% done the dizziness was so extreme I had to stop. 20 minutes later the dizziness was gone – banished! This was at least ten years ago. I would highly recommend trying this.

5. Ken S.

How is one to determine the “affected side”?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: If the problem is BPPV, you will notice the spinning when you turn your head to the affected side. The video should explain that.

6. RC1956

My older daughter, while in middle school, was studying one night and got up to use the restroom. She was falling down, bouncing off the walls. We saw her doctor who referred her to a neurologist in Morgantown, WV. Since the possible diagnoses for such symptoms in young people are so scary, we were glad to have gotten an appointment in two days.
    We were lucky that their was a cancellation in the MRI Department. The MRI was negative. The doctor diagnosed BVP and prescribed Valium. He said it was viral and that it may take up to two weeks until she was better. She did return to school with someone who would help her around the stairs. The symptoms did not recur.

7. Torrence

I am just now getting over my very first episode of Vertigo, and it wasn’t any fun at all. Even though I’m 75 I’m very glad I have never had it before. But I have been told that it lingers for days after you feel better and it will pop up again. Does anyone have any GOOD information on this virus, of which I am told it comes from?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: It depends upon the cause of the vertigo. BPPV (benign positional vertigo) is not viral, but is caused by calcium crystals in the ear labyrinth getting out of place. The Epley maneuver helps put them back where they belong. It won’t work for other causes of vertigo.