Q. I developed rosacea a few years ago. Although I tried ignoring it, the condition got worse.
A dermatologist gave me samples of Finacea. That helped a little but there is a $60 copay for the prescription. Metrogel works a little too but, again, has a $60 copay.
My wife told me to use Selsun Blue. I wash my hair with it and drag the suds down over my face. If I hadn’t had an itchy scalp I would not have bothered. I really thought this idea was bogus, so it’s not a placebo effect.
This is no extra effort, since I am in the shower anyway. Lo and behold, I got out of the habit of using Metrogel because the rosacea absolutely disappeared. After months of nothing but Selsun Blue as treatment, it’s completely gone.

A. Rosacea is an inflammation of the skin that causes redness and bumps on nose, forehead and cheeks. Dermatologists think it may be due to an immune response to fungi, bacteria or some viruses.
Selsun Blue has anti-fungal activity. That may explain why many readers report that this dandruff shampoo can be helpful against rosacea. Here is what Carolyn said:
“I have an Irish/English background (typical for skin problems like this) and have had rosacea for over a decade. It is mostly redness and heat upon waking up, with stress, without stress, or whenever! The dermatologist said I also had mild seborrheic dermatitis.
“I read about Selsun Blue and tried it yesterday (just the regular type with 1% sulfur) and it felt cool and nice for the 5 minutes I left it on.
My cheeks were actually less red this morning after waking up. I will continue to try it!”

1. Steve L.

Everything on the internet I have read from users about selsun blue, selenium sulfide, not the other types, has been beyond positive for rosacea, it seems to be like a miracle, compared to all other methods. According to a somewhat recent medical journal article, its due to, they believe, the demodex mite which is much more in prevalent in rosacea sufferers.
    Another site says throughout Eastern Europe, this is the accepted reason for rosacea and wonders when the US physicians are going to catch up. That mite when it dies releases a certain bacteria from its gut and our immune reaction to that bacteria is the cause of rosacea. The internet claims selenium is toxic to both mites and bacteria, so you get both from selsun blue. The speed of clearing of even a decade of failure with rosacea with other things, that I read, like 3 days, is remarkable. IF it was the placebo effect, how come the other countless products didn’t work? Scratch the placebo effect.
    I have read about ten testimonials so far, all except one seems to be saying it’s a cure, that one person had only used it so far for three days. I used it last night, I will advise, although I don’t know the ideal length of time to keep it on the skin and scalp. I used it for about four minutes last night, but I saw that one or two minutes has worked. We shall see.
    Steve L.

2. Bj

I have suffered with Rosacea since I was 22, I am now in my mid 60’s and still suffer from the redness. I have tried mostly everything. Tetracycline helped mute the redness but it is no longer available. Even tried laser without success.
    My husband found an article about someone with Rosacea and she was using Selsun Blue. What did I have to lose so I tried it. It has been a week and mt husband thought I had applied makeup to cover the redness but I had not. My redness has significantly decreased. My complexion is uneven but I am not flaming red anymore.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. This means so much to me after years of suffering with this issue.

3. Anna

Hello all,
    It’s really interesting reading about your comments on anti-dandruff shampoo being used to treat Rosacea and other skin problems. We are currently producing a health show about home made remedies, and I just wondered whether you all may know of anyone who uses the above method of anti-dandruff shampoo to cure their Rosacea? If you do, it would be great to hear from you, please feel free to call or email me on annac@outlineproductions.co.uk or 0207 4247614
    Many thanks
    Anna

4. js

I am on Enbrel for my RA I have also developed rosacea lately The medication that was given to me does not really help. I am going to try the Selsum Blue. I have tried it to lighten up age spots on my hand, and it works for that.

5. Jim N

My wife is suffering with “progressive ascending telangiectasia (PAT)”, a fairly rare condition with similar characteristics of rosacea. Anyone out there have this condition? Any remedies other than lazer treatments?

6. Shastibelle

I have generalized itchy all over. I shower 3-4 x a week and do water aerobics 2 x a week. I have tried various lotions for dry skin but still have problems with itching and sometimes wake up scratching my legs and arms. The itching is on my torso as well. I am a 74 year old female. any suggestions?

7. MG

Hi RJ. I currently have not received any specifics about the kind of Selsun Blue. Currently I am in Germany and they do not sell it, but I have bought a Selsun wash (1.5%), and used it as described, and it does seem to have an effective of at least keeping my face cooler. Will continue to use!

8. RJ

MG hvae you had a response to which Selsun Blue is best for Rosacea? RJ

9. MG

Which kind of Selsun Blue is the best for rosacea?

10. Kate M

I am always pleased readers discover a cheaper/more effective treatment for an annoying (non-fatal) ailment that is so much better than their physicians drug reps have tried to sell them.

11. Joan

Several kinds of Selsun Blue with different active ingredients.
    Which one to use for rosacea ?

12. pkp

I use a translucent pressed mineral makeup powder (a drugstore brand). It has almost completely gotten rid of my rosacea. I have applied it at bedtime on occasion because it’s so soothing. I’ve even spot-treated my husband’s rosacea for him with it a couple of times.

13. Janet S.

I went from Finacea to MetroGel for a year and had horrible cold sores, not realizing that’s a side effect. Even though I stopped using it, I still have the cold sores unless I take Lysine pills (that stick in my throat, having to be taken on empty stomach). I wish I’d never ever had MetroGel as it gave me something I never had before. I’ll try the Selsun Blue!

14. MML

There are a number of different kinds of Selsun Blue. Is one of them more effective than others for seborrheic dermatitis?