Although women have recently been told that vitamin D and calcium supplements won’t help them avoid fractures, a new analysis from Denmark suggests these supplements are associated with a longer life. Eight clinical trials including 70,000 volunteers were included in the analysis. People given calcium plus vitamin D were about 9 percent less likely to die in the next three years than those taking placebo pills.

[Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, online May 17, 2012]

1. Marianne

People do not understand that it is all about the ratio of calcium to
    magnesium and enough of the hormone D. Did you ever see a wild elephant
    with osteoporosis? Get information! It is out there, do not fly blind.
    Eat more raw food (vegetable green) less sugar and indulge in fresh clean
    water.

2. mk

Confusion reighns here. But thanks again for giving us other results than negative. Thinking I’ll just keep up the dairy products.

3. Cindy B.

It is SOOOO irritating. You read a study whose headline blasts: “(X) is shown NOT to help your heart after all, and maybe even causes problems!” So you d/c (X), assuming that its cardiac effects were the main selling point to take or not take it. But LATER you read that this same (X) is a “potent antioxidant, leading to greater strength and longevity.” Well, which do you choose? You’re actually playing Russian Roulette with a drug that MIGHT OR MIGHT NOT cause a catastrophe in one area, but probably WILL improve things incrementally, pro-rata, in another area. And the studies don’t acknowledge each other’s results, and they don’t give you a proper context that helps you weigh one thing against another.
    To say this is confusing to the average reader, and may very well cause people to inadvertently harm themselves in the long run, is an understatement.

4. fbl

I’ve taken both D and Calcium for many years and my vessels are squeaky clean… well other than the one the shoulder harness damaged during an auto accident.
    My secret is that I take digestive enzymes with my vitamins-both betaine HCL and the enzymes. Most people over 40 need digestives and unfortunately a LOT of young people too. My son and my nephew and some friends’ children as well.

5. Peppy

I had just read that even too much calcium in ones diet, not only from supplementation, could cause heart problems. That floored me and then here comes this article. Some of these studies are not well done I fear!

6. mary

We have just been told that calcium increases risk of heart attack in women! What are we to believe??????

7. DWD

Talk about confusing data. I thought excessive calcium was causing heart problems, but yet you live longer?

8. Peppy

I wonder if it is the Vitamin D? And you can get that from food and mostly sunshine.

9. mcd

Exasperation reading this new article as a very recent report emerged from London stating there was a 25% increase in heart attacks and coronary problems associated w/women taking calcium and vitamin D supplements which was found to cause arterial plaque.