Q. You responded recently to a woman who almost died after a yellow jacket sting. Your advice to get an EpiPen was good, but it should have gone further.
After I lived more than 25 years with severe insect sting allergy, my new wife sent me to an allergist. I went through years of desensitization shots. I was last tested ten years ago and was no longer allergic. Please encourage the nanny to get the shots. It could save her life.
A. EpiPen is a prescription pre-loaded self-injector of epinephrine. This medication can save the life of someone who goes into anaphylactic shock as a result of an allergic reaction.
Desensitization shots are time-consuming and expensive but very effective at preventing serious allergic reactions. Thank you for the recommendation.