Q. The absolute best cure I’ve ever found for hiccups is CHOCOLATE. Don’t believe me? Try it.
Keep some 70 to 90 percent cocoa dark chocolate on hand. (Lindt is good.) Smooth a bite of the chocolate on the roof of your mouth and be amazed at how fast your hiccups disappear!
Don’t worry about chocolate making you fat. Unsweetened dark chocolate is beneficial. (Milk chocolate, though, is not good for dieters.) You’ll thank me for this cure.

A. We first heard about using chocolate as a home remedy for hiccups from a listener who called our radio show. Her Danish grandmother had always dispensed a few chocolate chips to a child with hiccups.
We have since heard from others who agree that chocolate can help stop hiccups. Here’s one reader’s story: “I discovered this remedy one day after repeated bouts of hiccups. I became aggravated and decided that if I was going to have them, I was going to have them with chocolate. They stopped immediately, much to my surprise. The chocolate remedy has been foolproof for years now.”

1. Angela F.
    Charlotte, NC

My eleven year old son has had single, unexpected hiccups at the dinner table for the last year. At first it was funny and then it became annoying. I gave him a single serving size square of ghiradelli intense chocolate 86% cacao and the hiccups immediately went away. Thanks for the suggestion. It worked and has restored peace to our evening meal.

2. Kim

My husband has had the hiccups for 2-3 hours now, he was getting really sore. I gave him some Ghirardelli Intense Dark (72%) and they stopped immediately.

3. Dave

I actually get hiccups from eating chocolate!!!

4. pg

I use a teaspoon of sugar to cure my hiccups. I use dark chocolate to cure a cough. Both work well.

5. Page

I have had hiccups all my life (I am 68) that I can remember. I have tried every crazy way told to me to stop them. When I was in school I had to leave the room because they were so loud and lasted so long,so I’m ready for one more shot at getting rid of them quickly.

6. ark

How much chocolate does one need to eat for stopping the hick-up?

7. BMS

I used to have terrible bouts with hiccups and found that pineapple juice solved the problem quickly. My grandson was staying with me recently and had hiccups and I gave him the juice and they went right away! It’s always good to have a cure at the ready.

8. VW

This is the affirmation I needed! I have long sworn by a little fudge or chocolate chips to get rid of hiccups, but my family and friends have long suspected I’ve been finding excuses just to eat chocolate, them knowing that I am a confirmed chocoholic. I can’t wait to show this to them!

9. Kay M.

This hiccup remedy has worked for me for 50 years.
    Pour a big glass of water. Preferably, use a glass that is wide across the top.
    Rest your hips against a counter or wall, and lean over from the waist, with your upper body parallel to the floor.
    Exhale and pinch your nose air-tight, using your left hand. Holding the glass in your right hand, bring the FAR SIDE of the rim of the glass to your lips — NOT the side you would normally drink from.
    As you tilt the bottom of the glass upwards, the water will flood the roof of your mouth. Swallow once or twice, big swallows. You will feel your ears “pop.”
    That’s it. Hiccups are gone.
    Works every time.

10. DS

I can hardly wait to get the hiccups!