Prednisone (and similar corticosteroids) can be a life saving drug. It saved my sanity when I developed sudden hearing loss in one ear. That was a really scary experience for someone who depends on hearing to be able to do live radio.

The ear, nose and throat specialist diagnosed my deafness as “idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss.” In other words, he didn’t have a clue what caused it. He did prescribe high doses of prednisone and within a few days my hearing returned.

Similar corticosteroids like Prednisone include

• Cortisone
  • Dexamethasone
  • Hydrocortisone
  • Methylprednisolone
  • Prednisolone

There are many conditions for which such drugs can be extremely valuable, even life saving. Here are just a few:

• Very serious allergic reactions (bad poison ivy for example)
  • Anaphylactic shock (life-threatening allergic reaction)
  • Brain tumors
  • Inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s disease)
  • Severe asthma (usually to help control acute flare-ups)
  • Severe nausea of chemotherapy
  • High altitude sickness (when there is brain swelling)
  • Traumatic brain injury
  • Addison’s disease
  • Rheumatoid arthritis, lupus and polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR)
  • Multiple sclerosis (MS)
  • Giant cell arteritis

As useful as corticosteroids can be for a wide range of conditions, the drugs can also cause an extraordinary number of serious side effects. Some people have likened this to a deal with the devil. Even short-term use can cause problems.

My personal experience with Prednisone

The week or two that I took prednisone for my hearing loss I couldn’t sleep, became incredibly irritable and hard to live with, and felt as if I had turned into someone I didn’t know or like. A study in the American Journal of Psychiatry analyzed data from hundreds of thousands of European patients over an 18 year period.

They discovered that people taking corticosteroids were more likely to experience neuropsychiatric symptoms including depression, suicidal thoughts (and actions), delirium, disorientation, confusion, panic and manic episodes.

The authors conclude that: “Glucocorticoids [another term for corticosteroids] increase the risk of suicidal behavior and neuropsychiatric disorders. Educating patients and their families about these adverse events and increasing primary care physicians’ awareness about their occurrence should facilitate early monitoring.”

I can relate. I certainly felt disoriented and out of control on the relatively high dose I was taking. The trouble is that patients and their families are not always warned about such side effects.

Scary Prednisone side effects that have been reported to us

“Years ago I was given prednisone in the emergency room for a severe anaphylactic reaction that affected my ability to breathe and caused massive hives. Although the treatment may have been necessary, I too had a severe psychotic reaction and when I finally went to my own doctor and had blood tests, my blood chemistry was all over the map. I had to continue the tapered dose till I was done but I wish someone had warned me of possible side effects so at least I wouldn’t think I was totally crazy.

“I questioned my ability to drive, slept constantly, and was quite volatile. I had to take a day off from work. Knowledge is power! People should be warned about possible side effects so they have the information should side effects occur.”

–AC

“I was on 20mg twice a day of prednisone for a sinus infection. Had I known anything about this horrible drug I would have never taken the meds and let my sinus infection clear up on its own. That would have been better than these side effects.
“I was not told to taper the dose, so I took as prescribed 20mg twice daily for 7 days. The day after stopping my whole body hurt to the touch, as if I was black and blue all over. I was swollen, red and had a lump on my neck, not to mention being very disoriented. I went back to the doctor and he insisted this had nothing to do with the drug.
“I checked myself into the ER where they put an IV drip with benadryl and the like. I was discharged that day. No change. Next day, didn’t hurt to the touch anymore. New side effect – rash from head to toe and severe indigestion. Following day, rash subsiding, indigestion getting better. Still feeling a bit loopy, but I am told by next week I should be back to myself again.
“I am warning everyone i know not to ever take a steroid unless your life is in danger. It is a very scary feeling – all for a sinus infection.”
–AMS

“I’m having Prednisone side effects. My doctor prescribed this drug last Thursday. She prescribed 20mg twice daily for five days. I was sleepless for three days in row. On day 4 after a short nap I awake feeling so nervous. I am crying, my hands are shaking, and my heart is beating so hard. These are awful feelings.
“My doctor told me I will feel that way for about nine days. She didn’t show any care about me. She also said I can go back to work (and drive a long way) the next day. But the way I was and am feeling I’m not daring to drive even one block.
“I do not understand why she prescribed that medicine, without any warning, for a small allergy I had. I mean the medicine was worse than my illness.”
–ELY

“My wife had sleepless nights when on prednisone and the doctor said that she might do some odd things that she normally wouldn’t do. He was right. One night she got up and tore down the wall paper in our bathroom :-) We still get a laugh over this one.”
–Bob K.

“I am experiencing high blood pressure, agoraphobia, panic attacks, light headedness, confusion, weakness, intolerance to heat, IBS, shaking, etc. These side effects all started the day I stopped the drug. It has been 7 days with not much improvement. I was hospitalized for 3 days. I pray I do not EVER have to take prednisone again… EVER.
“I am hoping I get past this. My quality of life stinks. I took 30mg 1 day 20mg 2 days and 1 mg 2 days. Absolutely HATE this.”
–SKF

These are just some of the messages that have been posted to our website. Feel free to add your story or comment below. We find it astonishing that some prescribers do not warn patients about the possibility of psychological side effects brought on by prednisone and friends. Even a short-course of high-dose steroid can precipitate symptoms. And not warning about gradual tapering borders on bad medicine. To protect yourself and your loved ones from such medical mistakes we suggest our latest book, Top Screw-ups Doctors Make and How to Avoid Them.

We want to emphasize that corticosteroids can be very valuable. Some people must take them for the rest of their lives because of a very serious or life-threatening condition. And NO ONE should ever stop taking a drug like prednisone suddenly. It must be phased off gradually under medical supervision.

Other side effects associated with corticosteroids like Prednisone

• Fluid retention, edema
  • Insomnia
  • Irritability, nervousness, mood swings, mania, depression, psychosis
  • Disorientation, confusion
  • Hypertension
  • Loss of potassium
  • Headache
  • Dizziness, vertigo
  • Muscle weakness
  • Blood sugar elevation (diabetes)
  • Irregular menstrual cycles
  • Swollen face
  • Hair growth (including on the face)
  • Itching, rash, hives
  • Increased susceptibility to infection
  • Weakened bones (osteopenia, osteoporosis)
  • Tendon rupture
  • Glaucoma
  • Cataracts
  • Ulcers

The higher the dose and the longer someone takes a drug like prednisone the more likely there will be side effects. Make sure your physician is monitoring things like potassium, blood sugar, bone density and psychological well being. And never stop a corticosteroid suddenly!

1. Fleuramore
    Salisbury, Massachusetts

I’ve been diagnosed with spondylolisthesis which is causing severe sciatica. I initially took 10 mg Prednisone for 5 days with virtually no side effects. Two weeks later I was given a Methylprednisone “pack” to take over 6 days. Again, no side effects but then 10 days after taking the last pill of the pack, my face is covered in pimples and my ankles and feet are blown up like balloons.

The acne I can live with but the swelling is terribly uncomfortable and worrisome. When I asked my Orthopedist why this is happening and how long it would last his response was “I don’t know”. I can’t find any info on how long the swelling might last. Does anyone know or has anyone experience the ankle/feet swelling?

2. rhonda
    houston

I’ve taken Prednisone off and on the past 12 yrs for asthma. I’ve never had any side effects.

3. wro
    portsmouth

Last sunday I went to the E.R. due to an allergic reaction to an unknown allergen and a subsequent asthma attack and they were put me on 20 mg. of prednisone and now that I’m weening of it I’m experiencing a cough that wont quit & bad hip pain to the point where it hurts to walk & my inhaler isn’t solving it either.

4. kristal
    over the rainbow

I had severe hearing loss in my left ear they had no idea why but I was described presidone and I have been on it for four days I hate it it makes me feel weak. I am very grumpy I have insane mood swings and I get hot than cold so far it has not helped never thought I would be on steriods espeacially at the age of 15. If anyone knows what you can do to help sleeping can you tell me?

5. Cameron
    United States

I have been on Prednisone for over a year and a half now. Now quite three years ago I developed an ulcer on my lower left leg that doctors thought was a bad antibiotic-resistant staph (MRSA) infection. After surgery to debride the wound and then a year to heal from it, I was given the all clear, only to have a new spot appear on the same leg, a few inches away. After seeing several more doctors including two specialists in different fields, I was diagnosed with pyoderma gangrenosum, an autoimmune disease similar to Krohn’s or IBS (same disease, really, the location it occurs is what determines the actual name, near as I can tell. so, bowels is IBS, leg is pyoderma, etc), and apparently also related to rheumatoid arthritis.

I was put on 100mg/day of prednisone to start with, and while I was rapidly tapered off of that insane dosage, I was stuck between 5mg and 20mg/day for most of the last year, as my dermatologist tries to wean me off. I was having irregular outbreaks of my condition whenever the dosage went below 20mg/day and constant ones at anything below 5mg/day, so I finally switched doctors again and am now seeing one at the dermatology clinic at Emory University in Atlanta, GA. He put me on cyclosporine, which is allowing me to wean from the steroids, to the point where I’m now only taking 20/mg every other day. This past Wednesday (4 days ago) was the first day in over a year and a half that I didn’t take any prednisone. The schedule the doc currently has me on should have me off entirely within 5 weeks or so.

I can personally vouch that this drug is hell. Yes, it is able to control my pyoderma, but the cost is astronomical and I would say not at all worth it.

I have always been argumentative and sometimes abrasive, but while I’ve been on the steroids those aspects of my personality have increased to a degree where some days I’m surprised people will have anything to do with me anymore. My wife and I almost never argued and certainly never got into lengthy bouts of anger with one another, but since I’ve been on this we seem to get into fights well more often that is healthy.

I have gained 150lbs; weight I haven’t been able to even attempt to lose while still on the steroids because I’d simply bulk up rather than burn it back off.

And I now have fairly regular bouts of depression, nothing suicidal, but definitely entire days where I want to do nothing beyond sleep because, and cross-my-heart on this running through my brain, “there is literally no reason to be awake.”

Even now, finally coming off the steroids, it seems worse than ever, because I now have days both on and off the medication where I can feel my mood swinging back and forth like a damned pendulum. Today was an off day, which means that all day I’ve felt fatigued, cranky, irritable, overly sensitive, and have spent the last two hours constantly on the brink of bursting into tears for absolutely no reason at all.

And all this is just the obvious stuff I can see on my own or be told by people around me, it doesn’t include the stuff I’ve been getting blood tests done to check on for the last 18+ months, including rising glucose levels, pancreatic shutdown, kidney damage, liver damage, or a myriad of other effects. Thank everything that might listen that I haven’t suffered from any of those, but I’m not even yet off the stuff, so I’m not entirely out of the woods yet. It’s not like those effects are particularly rare or the doctors wouldn’t have me getting blood drawn every couple months to check on it.

Prednisone is NASTY stuff. Yes it has helped me, but there are still days where I think the cure may well have been worse than the disease. If you do have a condition for which a doctor prescribes steroids, please be aware of the side-effects and make sure to discuss them with family and close friends. I’ve found that just knowing how it’s been affecting my personality and being able to keep an eye out for it makes it at least a tiny bit easier to deal with.

6. Bryce
    Wisconsin

I’ve been on 60mg of prednisone for 4 days, no side affects yet. Honestly I feel 10 years younger then I am (at 33), it’s weird. I was prescribed prednisone for a sinus infection and inflamed tonsils. I’ve read up that it’s used to treat cancer, to what degree? I just hope I’m not feeling this great bc I unknowingly have cancer.

7. christine
    beaver falls pa

The first time I was prescribed prednisone I was 25 yrs old and had a horrible bronchial cough for months. It was awful. I tore muscle tissue above my ribs from coughing so much. I remember being completely drained by the end of my work day just from coughing up nothing. Finally after several other medications failed I was given prednisone.

I swear I had not experienced one day of depression my entire life, although it is very prevalent in my family, until coming off that medication.
    I am now 41 and have taken anti-depressants everyday since.
    It’s the only thing that works for me when I get these coughs and I’ve only needed to take it a handful of times since, but I will always believe it brought out depression for me that maybe otherwise I wouldn’t have had to live with. It used to make me sleepy and mean. Now it makes me sleepless (and still mean). Haha. Just wanted to share.

8. Fran
    Tennessee

After having terrible headaches for 3 months the doc finally did blood tests and my SED rate is through the roof. I have to have temporal artery biopsy but first he wants to put me on prednisone because of the inflammation. I had been on prednison maybe 4 or 5 years ago and went thru a terrible depression that kept getting worse to the point where I was suicidal. I wound up going to a mental health clinic in desperate need to talk to someone and was told that that could be one of the side effects. After checking with my rheumatologist (at that time) he disagreed. I will NEVER take this horrible medicine again as it was one of the scariest things I’ve ever gone through.

9. Allana
    Deer Lake, NL

Hi I have been taking Prednisone for a week now. I can’t sleep, and feel so exhausted. Will taking a sleeping pill help me get some sleep? Today I took my Prednisone for 7 days now, because my voice get very weak. Until I have just a whisper, or I write down to talk. My heart is good, oxygen level good. So when I went to the Emergency, I could say two or three words at a time. They had me in the crash room, and just took x-rays, heart monitor, oxygen checked. All of that turn out good. They kept me in, because I could not get two words out at a time.

I was there for observation for two days, and they gave me IV. I did not get better, though the Dr in the hospital said I was improving. still don’t know what is wrong. They said I have to see a ENT, and he is saying it is red past my valve, he used pipe that sees further down my throat. I still can’t talk. Now I have a bad allergy that caused swelling in my face, eyes puffing up, shaking, and a lot of pressure on my chest. My family Dr gave me a allergy needle. So he said go off of them. Now what do I do? I lost my voice and not getting better. Please could anyone help me. Prednisone is so bad for me, with all the side effects.

10. Hilary
    Minnesota

I was given a Medrol dosepack (methyl prednisolone) for an allergic reaction to a caterpillar (I know, it’s weird).

I noticed a vibrating sensation in my body at night when I lied down to sleep, like lying next to a running semi or something. I honestly thought it was something in my house for a few days. Then my blood pressure went way up, I had ringing in my ears, intense headahces and goofy fears at night. I was lying on the couch one evening and looked at my own legs and had some weird moment where I thought I was looking at someone else. I have finally decided I think it is from the steroids. I am three weeks out from the last pill and it is still going on. They put me on a blood pressure med and that came down and I started feeling better. Has anyone else had that vibrating sensation when resting? You can’t see any tremor at all, just feel it inside.

• Daniel
      WV

I have had the vibrating sensation but only in my right leg.

11. A. Muktadir
    london

I’ve recently had to take 40mg prednisolone once a day for 5 days for my asthma flare up. I’m type 1 diabetic also and found out the hard way as to why my sugars were so damn high whilst I was on prednisolone. Anyway, my asthma was terrible at first so once I took the pred it has definitely calmed down but I can still feel the wheeze in my lungs so I’m still having to take my salbutamol (blue reliever) to breathe easily.

I was taking 40mg Prednisolone + symbicort + beclomethasone + salbutamol in one day which eventually made me collapse on day three of the prednisolone course. It’s a powerful drug and I never was given any counselling by the doctor nor the pharmacist. I’m still struggling with the asthma but not as bad as during the flare up so I’m happy about that. I’m on step II of the asthma ladder but I think I may be bumped up to step three coz this wheeze ain’t shifting.

12. Dorian
    dallas,tx

I had been taking prednisone for quite some time to deal with swelling lymph nodes. Felt really out of it one day and had to leave work. Went to ER and had HEART RATE 190 & ATRIL FIB! The ER Dr’s said it was from drinking, but I was at work when it happened. I thought they were right till I saw all these peoples posts about prednisone.
    You all should read article and comments. Now I know for sure where my problems started, but most Dr’s tell me they never heard of it.

13. Jana
    Alabama

Just finished a week’s worth of oral prednisone (40 mg per day) along with three intratympanic perfusions of steroids. By the last day of the oral steroids I felt like I was having an out of body experience — just very, very off — weak and dizzy. Now that I am 2.5 days out from finishing the prescription my main symptom is tingling and numbness, basically all over my body. I have, at times, had problems with tingling and numbness which has been attributed to anxiety, but never as bad as what I am experiencing right now. I was being treated for sudden sensorineural hearing loss and I have had definite improvement in my hearing but still have lots of tinnitus. Between the tinnitus and the tingling I feel like aliens have invaded my body.

14. Susan
    Richmond

I was prescribed 60 mg per day to be taken (2, 1, 1, 2 pills) for tennis elbow. The first night I awoke at 3:50 a.m. and wide awake, the next morning I awoke at 3:50 again and began to get a lower backache that made it difficult to stand. On day 3, I had a reaction of face flushing that lasted for several hours after my after lunch dose; and on day 4, I had a severe reaction after lunch dose that included searing, hot, firebomb in the stomach, face flush, cold sweats, pounding headache in front and back of head, and the inability to get comfortable. The terrible pain in my stomach lasted for an hour, the headache lasted for two days, and my body still doesn’t feel good 3 days later. Needless to say, I stopped taking the prednisone after the day 4 reaction.
    This was a case where the tennis elbow pain was preferable to the side effects.

15. Shelly
    Indiana

I was given 35mg of Prednisone with a taper down for 2 weeks due to lung inflammation. Day 2 started racing heart, sweating, tired, multiple panic attacks, high bp, loss of appetite etc. Dr said I could cut the taper in half which I did. It has been 9 days since my last 10mg dose. I still wake up with a racing heart and still feel a little not myself. Dr appt today said bp and heart rate back to normal. I will never take this drug again. It took me a while to find out how long I could even expect to feel a little better thanks to this website. I just wanted to let people know there is light at the end of the tunnel.

16. Jan
    Palm Bay, FL

I have Ulcerative Colitis, which first started about 30 years ago. As I get older, my flare-ups are down to 1 or 2 a year. I take Lialda every day. However, the only medication that halts the flare-up and stops the bleeding has been Prednisone. While I don’t like the side-effects (insomnia, moon-face, weight gain, flatulence), I really don’t like the bleeding and uncontrollable bowel movements that I have with every flare-up of UC! I start out with 20mg twice a day of Prednisone for up to a month, then take about 3 months to wean down to none. I’ve had all of the regular side-effects, and many of the irregular ones, but I’ve learned to cope. I know I really get hungry, so I eat a lot of celery! I limit myself to 3 small meals a day. I take a sleeping pill to combat the insomnia. I’ve been doing this for so many years it’s become routine. Unfortunately, no one has come up with a CURE for UC, so I’m stuck with this routine.

• CJ
      Kansas

This is great to hear! I was looking for someone who had a similar condition. I was diagnosed with Colitis then 6 months later Colitis and Ileitis, and now its full blown Crone’s. I cant afford the medication I need (Humira) so I am going to have to start the Prednizone again because so far its the only thing that helps. I am to the point I don’t mind the weight gain as long as the pain stops. lol

17. Maria
    AR

On the way to AZ for vacation, I broke out from Poison OAK! The AZ Dr had no clue what I had but I knew because I’ve had it before. He prescribed Prednisone and Hydroxyzine instead of one simple steroid shot!!! I’ve only taken the Prednisone a few days but was told to take 2 tablets twice a day for 5 days. There’s NO way I could have done that!!

I have gotten very aggravated and mean, have a very dry mouth, roof of mouth feel strange, and loss of appetite. I stopped taking them a few days ago (I have 8 left) and the first day I was so out of it. A lot of confusion and really strange feeling. I do not like it. Will NOT take another one. Dr’s are crazy for prescribing this and not discussing the side effects!!

18. Beatrice U
    United States

I was given pred 20 mg. I am now in a lot of pain all over, with my joints hurting like crazy. I have aches every where, my fingers and hands neck back legs ankles feet just in pain everywhere wrists. I was given this med for l3 l4 and l5 herniated discs. Helpppp! My mom was taking it for Sjorgens syndrome and she gained 100 pounds, had vision problems and problems walking falling and in a lot of pain everywhere.

19. Rhadona
    ABQ

2 weeks ago I went to the ER after having a migraine for 3 days straight. After a CT scan I was prescribed 20mg of Prednisone 2 times daily for a nasty sinus infection. I had never taken it before, knew nothing about steroids and was not given ANY possible side effect warnings by the Dr. or the pharmacist.

I took this for 7 days and upon the 8th day I started believing I was truly going insane. I felt like I was outside of my body. I felt like I was in a balloon attached to my body by a tiny thread and it was a windy day. I felt like I was barely holding on to reality. My feet and hands are numb and tingling. I can feel my heart beat throughout my body and I swear I can hear my hair growing! Then can the tactile hallucinations… I feel like I have no control of my body and found myself having to remind myself to chew and swallow and breath.

The wind blowing on my skin felt like I was in a stinging sand storm. In fact all of my senses are off, either heightened or dulled. I am a teacher and I could swear my students were even coloring extra loud in class the last 3 days! My vision was blurry with light auras around objects, I thought my fiancé looked like an actual angel last night standing in the doorway with the hall light behind him.

My face looks very swollen and round and my neck, shoulders and the right side of my face is covered in small itchy bumps that resemble acne. And now out of the clear blue sky I am coughing and feeling very congested in my chest. I was worried to talk to my Dr., for fear of being “locked up.” As I was determined that this must be what it feels like to truly go insane.

Luckily I have a supportive honey who made me go anyway this afternoon. I now know it’s the Prednisone… and I just need to wait for it to leave my system. It would have been nice to have known about these side effects before hand, at least I wouldn’t have been so frightened.

• Hilary
      Minnesota

Have you started feeling better yet? My issue started around the same time as yours and I am still feeling off, plus had to be put on blood pressure meds and Potassium due to the reaction to the steroid.

I have the same heightened sensory issue. When watching television, I swear I can hear the camera people making noise in the background. I hear everything in my house starting and stopping and unfortunately feel everything also. Is that the same experience you are having?

20. Teresa
    Bellville South Africa

I have been on Prednisone for nearly a year. I have Sjogrens disease. For the time I have been on this medication I have not been myself. My doctor did not warn me to take Immune supplements and Calcium. With failing doing this I landed up in hospital a couple of months after starting on a very high dosage of 40mg. I had an abscess in my mouth.

I was told in hospital by another specialist that I should stop this medication after which the dosage was lowered. But I was minutes away from death and 3 days in ICU. I had panic attacks after that and on Anti-depressants now for 3 months. I am not sure if all this is worth it. I have to take all these medications and supplements but my mouth is rotting up. Even the visits to my dentist has not helped. And I had an abscess again after the incident with the ICU. The Sjogrens came to light as of severe swelling of my glands. I am asking myself if this medication is all worth it. My face don’t look nice…. my teeth look like a drug addicts mouth and I have thrush a lot of the time. And I am getting very hot flushes. Please advise.

21. RNG

I’d like to send my thanks, and gratefulness to those who took time out of their day to share their own personal experiences, so others may be for warned of these clear pros & cons; that it seems most are not disclosed from their said health care professionals until sadly after the fact.
    After having an allergic reaction (that was both painful, and bizarre for lack of a better term) from another medication only a month ago; only having taken the medication for 3, maybe 4 days before the symptoms started. I also had not been given any warning of possible side effects, until I was already experiencing them. I was prescribed PREDNISONE (3 20mg tablets daily, for 3 days) just yesterday. I was restless all night. This morning I felt in sort of a daze, now in the afternoon I feel very moody, snappy.
    I’m aware that it could just be the fact that I haven’t been sleeping very soundly due to coughing my head off thru-out the night. Maybe it’s possible I’m just being a worry wort because of the last bad experience I had only A few weeks ago? In any event, I was hoping to shed some more light on my questions and concerns, so i better understand what I’ve learned thus far.
    1. I’ve read in several statements that this medication should NEVER be abruptly stopped, but rather tapered off. However, the way it has been prescribed to me makes no mention or attempt to do so. Should I be concerned about this?
    2. I am also using an inhaler, which is another type of steroid. Can this increase my risk of suffering one or more of the side effects mentioned? Or even make them worse?
    3. After reading the entries above, and gathering most of those who suffered side effects where at a lower dosage then myself, for example: 2 20mg tablets daily, one I read being prescribed different doses each day (the dose being increased & decreased from one day to the next). But I concluded that at least 2 20mg tablets daily is believed to be high a dose? And so does the level of dosage have an effect on the severity of your symptoms? And should I be concerned that my dose may be too high at 3 20mg tablets a day, & there for putting me at higher risk?
    4. Since I was seen yesterday for cold/flu like symptoms, they’ve only gotten worse. Coughing uncontrollably, wheezing, shortness of breath, congestion. Today I can barely breath, only able to take short shallow breaths and trying to talk, stand or walk makes it worse. I become dizzy and very winded trying to catch my breath. I’m not sure if my symptoms are just peeking and they will start to subside tomorrow, or the medication is having a negative effect and I should go back into my doctor???
    ANY comments/ advice would be gratefully taken and appreciated. Better to be armed with information & knowledge, then to be rendered defenseless because you were only given only part-truths to start with & failed seek out the whole truths (the PROS & the CONS) ;) thank you.

• ELLIE S.
      WI

I was first diagnosed with asthma 25 yrs ago at age 26. Since then I’ve been on various doses of prednisone, including IV, for varying amounts of time. I have experienced prednisone side effects that have went away and some that have stayed (including needing cataract surgery at 45 yro)!

The steroids in inhalers go straight to your lungs, so you will not experience those side effects. IV’s and pills go throughout your bloodstream and this is what can result in side effects.

If you are on the pills for a short time, probably less then a month, you usually won’t see many side effects other then the insomnia, irritability, possible depression upon withdrawal, things that are gone a few days after tapering down. IV prednisone is a totally different story. One time I gained 25 pounds in a freaking WEEK when I was hospitalized with the IV.

The average “bear” will go up to 40mg & be off them in 7-10 days. I’ve been on 80 mg before for several months. Yes, it definitely affected me psychologically & physically. I got strange illnesses I’d never had, I got the round “moon face” and gained about 30 lbs of fat concentrated around the midsection, very moody, irritable, etc etc. I had this happen to me every fall for yrs because of my allergies and asthma. No Dr ever told me that the reason you must taper down after taking them a few days is because if you stop abruptly, it can shut down all your major organs and freaking KILL YOU!! Oy VEH!

I learned the most about it reading the side effects sheet I got from the pharmacy upon filling it and on the net.

So at 20mg 3X a day, you may have very few side effects other then the ones most common here. It all depends on how long you’re on them and I would def talk to your Dr about that. Also, I don’t care what they say, I always taper down.

The prednisone most definitely has saved my life when I had pneumonia and broke up my congestion when others things had failed. But it has also given me some permanent side effects. I HATE IT!! I did want to tell you that it may take a cpl days to get in your system and work. It definitely helps with wheezing and chest congestion in pneumonia even when it feels like you have a weight on your chest.

I would have posted sooner, but just found this site tonight. I really cannot believe that medical science has not come up with something better. When I first had my asthma, I had a 22 yro very healthy & athletic friend that took prednisone for a brain tumor. By lowering his immune system, the prednisone killed him!!

Always ask for something different if you can get it.

Healthy blessings to all!!

22. JFKE

Was given mega dose of prednisone to take a day ahead of a CT scan because I reported a reaction years ago to the IV dye used. I’ve been having terrible attacks of night sweats, sleeplessness, anxiety, heart pounding, cold feet, elevated BP and feel like I’m going to explode.
    How can the medical profession do no harm if they don’t inform the patient ahead of time of the possible side effects? And how can my PCP have no clue on what is going on with me when I complain of these symptoms?
    Now how long do I have to wait for these attacks to pass? I’m so lucky I have Xanax on hand to take last night or else I would have erupted at home!

23. ga

is anyone out there with churg strauss syndrome?

24. Jay P

My brother has a severe allergic reaction to something and came out with hives and swelling all over his body. He was prescribed 5mg of Prednisolone to take 8tablets for three days by hospital staff. There was no warning on the medication and no follow up or tapering.
    He must have stopped taking the tablets as I found the box in his room with a days dose left in it. My brother dies two weeks after stopping his medication, he stayed out late, didn’t call home, was disorientated, vomiting, faint and he was hit by a train.
    I didn’t realise he was taking such a dangerous drug, we dint realise that he had stopped taking it and didn’t have any guidance on weaning off it or a follow up from the hospital. All this is being looked into now but it’s too late for his family. My brother was not the type of person to not call home or not make it home.
    He was an Accountant, sensible, level headed and easy going. There were no signs of him being depressed or wanting to die. The CCTV footage shows him struggling to walk properly, needing to sit down, holding his stomach. I believe this drug affected my brother. I think it’s dangerous and should be prescribed under supervision and monitored.
    Please use this medication carefully as it effects people to very different degrees x

25. William

I agree with the side effects above. I get and got of lot of them.
    But… The 32 pages of stuff the pharmacy puts in the bag with the prescription talks about the side effects although not easy to understand. Read it.

26. Billie Marie glover

Not sure what this means. U pick

27. barb

Prednisone has majorly screwed my life up! I was having back spasms and trying to get things done for my daughter’s wedding, so I asked the dr for something to help with the pain. She prescribed prednisone. That was about 1 wk before the wedding. Then my legs, ankles and feet swelled up HUGE, where I could hardly get shoes on and my skin was so tight I thought it’d tear. I felt like there was a lump in my throat or something suffocating me and was short of breath. I am type 2 diabetic and it also raised my blood sugars.
    I couldn’t figure out what was going on and couldn’t stand all the swelling. I finally went to the dr (my regular dr) this week and my a-fib had kicked back in. When I really got to thinking, it has been a domino effect. The prednisone raised my sugars, which I have found can cause swelling too, and the raised sugars have a tendency to kick my afib into action. My heart rate was 156! I haven’t been eating much at all to try and keep the sugar levels down. I am a mess and just want this med out of my body!!