a man in shadow with depression

Prednisone (and similar corticosteroids) can be a life saving drug. It saved my sanity when I developed sudden hearing loss in one ear. That was a really scary experience for someone who depends on hearing to be able to do live radio.

The ear, nose and throat specialist diagnosed my deafness as “idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss.” In other words, he didn’t have a clue what caused it. He did prescribe high doses of prednisone and within a few days my hearing returned.

Similar corticosteroids like Prednisone include

• Cortisone
  • Dexamethasone
  • Hydrocortisone
  • Methylprednisolone
  • Prednisolone

There are many conditions for which such drugs can be extremely valuable, even life saving. Here are just a few:

• Very serious allergic reactions (bad poison ivy for example)
  • Anaphylactic shock (life-threatening allergic reaction)
  • Brain tumors
  • Inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s disease)
  • Severe asthma (usually to help control acute flare-ups)
  • Severe nausea of chemotherapy
  • High altitude sickness (when there is brain swelling)
  • Traumatic brain injury
  • Addison’s disease
  • Rheumatoid arthritis, lupus and polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR)
  • Multiple sclerosis (MS)
  • Giant cell arteritis

As useful as corticosteroids can be for a wide range of conditions, the drugs can also cause an extraordinary number of serious side effects. Some people have likened this to a deal with the devil. Even short-term use can cause problems.

My personal experience with Prednisone

The week or two that I took prednisone for my hearing loss I couldn’t sleep, became incredibly irritable and hard to live with, and felt as if I had turned into someone I didn’t know or like. A study in the American Journal of Psychiatry analyzed data from hundreds of thousands of European patients over an 18 year period.

They discovered that people taking corticosteroids were more likely to experience neuropsychiatric symptoms including depression, suicidal thoughts (and actions), delirium, disorientation, confusion, panic and manic episodes.

The authors conclude that: “Glucocorticoids [another term for corticosteroids] increase the risk of suicidal behavior and neuropsychiatric disorders. Educating patients and their families about these adverse events and increasing primary care physicians’ awareness about their occurrence should facilitate early monitoring.”

I can relate. I certainly felt disoriented and out of control on the relatively high dose I was taking. The trouble is that patients and their families are not always warned about such side effects.

Scary Prednisone side effects that have been reported to us

“Years ago I was given prednisone in the emergency room for a severe anaphylactic reaction that affected my ability to breathe and caused massive hives. Although the treatment may have been necessary, I too had a severe psychotic reaction and when I finally went to my own doctor and had blood tests, my blood chemistry was all over the map. I had to continue the tapered dose till I was done but I wish someone had warned me of possible side effects so at least I wouldn’t think I was totally crazy.

“I questioned my ability to drive, slept constantly, and was quite volatile. I had to take a day off from work. Knowledge is power! People should be warned about possible side effects so they have the information should side effects occur.”

-AC

“I was on 20mg twice a day of prednisone for a sinus infection. Had I known anything about this horrible drug I would have never taken the meds and let my sinus infection clear up on its own. That would have been better than these side effects.
“I was not told to taper the dose, so I took as prescribed 20mg twice daily for 7 days. The day after stopping my whole body hurt to the touch, as if I was black and blue all over. I was swollen, red and had a lump on my neck, not to mention being very disoriented. I went back to the doctor and he insisted this had nothing to do with the drug.
“I checked myself into the ER where they put an IV drip with benadryl and the like. I was discharged that day. No change. Next day, didn’t hurt to the touch anymore. New side effect – rash from head to toe and severe indigestion. Following day, rash subsiding, indigestion getting better. Still feeling a bit loopy, but I am told by next week I should be back to myself again.
“I am warning everyone i know not to ever take a steroid unless your life is in danger. It is a very scary feeling – all for a sinus infection.”
-AMS

“I’m having Prednisone side effects. My doctor prescribed this drug last Thursday. She prescribed 20mg twice daily for five days. I was sleepless for three days in row. On day 4 after a short nap I awake feeling so nervous. I am crying, my hands are shaking, and my heart is beating so hard. These are awful feelings.
“My doctor told me I will feel that way for about nine days. She didn’t show any care about me. She also said I can go back to work (and drive a long way) the next day. But the way I was and am feeling I’m not daring to drive even one block.
“I do not understand why she prescribed that medicine, without any warning, for a small allergy I had. I mean the medicine was worse than my illness.”
-ELY

“My wife had sleepless nights when on prednisone and the doctor said that she might do some odd things that she normally wouldn’t do. He was right. One night she got up and tore down the wall paper in our bathroom :-) We still get a laugh over this one.”
-Bob K.

“I am experiencing high blood pressure, agoraphobia, panic attacks, light headedness, confusion, weakness, intolerance to heat, IBS, shaking, etc. These side effects all started the day I stopped the drug. It has been 7 days with not much improvement. I was hospitalized for 3 days. I pray I do not EVER have to take prednisone again… EVER.
“I am hoping I get past this. My quality of life stinks. I took 30mg 1 day 20mg 2 days and 1 mg 2 days. Absolutely HATE this.”
-SKF

These are just some of the messages that have been posted to our website. Feel free to add your story or comment below. We find it astonishing that some prescribers do not warn patients about the possibility of psychological side effects brought on by prednisone and friends. Even a short-course of high-dose steroid can precipitate symptoms. And not warning about gradual tapering borders on bad medicine. To protect yourself and your loved ones from such medical mistakes we suggest our latest book, Top Screw-ups Doctors Make and How to Avoid Them.

We want to emphasize that corticosteroids can be very valuable. Some people must take them for the rest of their lives because of a very serious or life-threatening condition. And NO ONE should ever stop taking a drug like prednisone suddenly. It must be phased off gradually under medical supervision.

Other side effects associated with corticosteroids like Prednisone

• Fluid retention, edema
  • Insomnia
  • Irritability, nervousness, mood swings, mania, depression, psychosis
  • Disorientation, confusion
  • Hypertension
  • Loss of potassium
  • Headache
  • Dizziness, vertigo
  • Muscle weakness
  • Blood sugar elevation (diabetes)
  • Irregular menstrual cycles
  • Swollen face
  • Hair growth (including on the face)
  • Itching, rash, hives
  • Increased susceptibility to infection
  • Weakened bones (osteopenia, osteoporosis)
  • Tendon rupture
  • Glaucoma
  • Cataracts
  • Ulcers

The higher the dose and the longer someone takes a drug like prednisone the more likely there will be side effects. Make sure your physician is monitoring things like potassium, blood sugar, bone density and psychological well being. And never stop a corticosteroid suddenly!

1. kim
    mesa, az

I was diagnosed with Poleymyalgia,Rheumatoid Arthritis on Feb 14th, 2014 . Was put on 80mg of PREDNISONE 3x a day for 2 weeks. Am now trying to work down from 4mg. I get close to 2mg and start the hurting process all over again. Was told I probably will end up taking it the rest of my life. Am now developing stomache aches. NO FUN!! Wish i had an alternative solution..

2. lauryn
    West Palm Beach, Fl

The doctors have to know how serious these side effects are! It really bothers me that I was not tapered down after my now knowledge of this pill. I went into the ER with an allergic reaction. I’m usually more talkative and am aware about what they are putting in my body but by the time benadryl was inserted I was pretty out of it. They put prednisone in my IV right away followed by 5 days of 40mg doses. They should have tapered me down because what I experienced next following my 5 day doses was the worst feelings I have ever felt! Instant disorientation, room was spinning, felt like my head was about to erupt, pounding headache, shaky, anxiety, chest spasm and insomnia. The first 48 hours were the worst as far as head and spinning but I’m a little over 72 hours in and I’ve slept..maybe 6 hours? It’s 5am and still wide awake. My temples are spasming constantly and panic and anxiety set in every night as I lay in bed. I can only hope this is temporary being as I was out of work all week. But I’m only 27, very active normally and I have no energy to leave my bed. Praying for a miracle. I will do everything I can to warn my loved ones that unless it is absolutely necessary this drug should not be used! Prednisone was the worst experience of my life and I feel it is highly irresponsible as a doctor to not give the option of tapering down due to such severe side effects. To all who have suffered and who continue to I will say a pray for you all as well as me tonight! Be well.

3. Richard
    Stevensville

I have had 2 surgeries on my neck and three disks replaced. My surgeon gave me this drug on multiple occasions prior to surgery. It helped some. Post surgery 5 years my neck is acting up again. Pain off the charts, but when I take one 20mg of this pill I am good to go for 18 hours, no side effects. I would rather take this pill for the rest of my life than get cut again. I also have high blood pressure, but other meds put it in check, no high blood pressure to date. No conflict, no mood swings, nothing adverse. Would like to hear a doctor tell me I am crazy, but no doctors are complaining, annual physicals.

4. Marcia
    Boise

I had to be in the hospital, after a viral infection went to my joints and cause so much weakness I couldn’t walk. They thought Steroids would help, they did, but I hate the side affects… they put me on 1000 mg dose of IV Steroids for 3 days, I have taken the oral kind like 40-60 a day, but never got that much steroids, and it really scared me, not just the taking of them, THEY MAKE YOU CRAZY, no sleep irritable, talkative, I am driving my husband crazy too… I now have to be on a fairly long taper because of so much, and the worry that my symptoms will return? What are the side effects of such large doses… I read somewhere they actually stay in your system… so I am not sure I have even started to withdrawal, my last IV of 1000mg was Sunday… this is only Tuesday, now I am taking 40 a day, wish I could just stop. :( … I wouldn’t have taken them, but I couldn’t move I was almost paralyzed in my joints, so I do think they helped me to walk again, but still not fun, wish I could stop sooner, does anyone know the side effects of such high ones, do I really need to taper longer because of it??

5. Lee ann crowe
    okla City okla.

I’ve been on prednisone 90 my. Down now to thirty. But when I started to verbally attack people and all the side effects that everyone has stated I quit. I’ve never been suicidal but honestly I think I could have hurt someone.

6. Ray Ro
    United States

I have been on prednisone for 9 months. I started at 50 mg twice a day and have tapered down to 5 mg daily. I have not seen any of the side effects mentioned.

Ray R

• claire k.
      United States

Wait till you get off. I just got off of steroids after being on it for 13 months. I went from 40mgs to 2mgs before i got off. Off course I was weaned off slowly. Big deal!!! I have more pain now than ever and blood pressure sky high. Depression! 40 pounds later. Good luck! I call it the devil’s poison pill!!!!

• sam
        ohio

I have had a history of a-fib. I had an ablation 1 1/2 years ago since then no issues at all.
        Then came the prednisone for bronchitis along with z-pak. I started having a-fib, but thought it was due to having 2 cups of coffee a day. Then one evening at 10:30 it started in and when my husband took me to the hospital… Blood pressure was165/105 pulse 134. Had to stay in the ER three hours to get my heart rate under control. Then admitted as a patient to monitor my vitals over night and the next day! Now back on cardiac drugs for a couple of months. Not every patient fits inside the DR’s box of prescriptions. They said the a-fib was prednisone related. If any heart history…question the prescription.

• nancy w.
      effingham. nh

I’m on 20 MG daily for 14 days. but honestly I hope my dr. Keeps me on them. No side effects and feel good. Copd and 76 yrs. old I have nothing to lose. If it helps I’ll take it.

7. Rosie
    South Carolina

I have taken prednisone in the past and felt crazy going off it and it did not help my symptoms of bronchial asthma, and my partner now has been prescribed it for Polymyalgia. I have researched extensively and now believe that my food allergies played a HUGE part in my disease. My bronchial asthma (breathing issues since a small child) is SO much better since I went on an anti-inflammatory diet – no gluten, no wheat, no sugar, no coffee, and certain supplements. I was skeptical when I started but am now a firm proponent. And I figured what did I have to lose – except my yucky symptoms. I am a believer!!!! And a “Functional Medicine” doctor is the one who helped me. They look at the underlying cause of our disease as opposed to looking at the symptoms. I urge every everyone to give it a shot. Good luck!

• Cherie
      Decatur IL

I developed asthma after having a child later in life and wonder why or what affects it? I still don’t understand it and HATE prednisone – it makes my panic attacks horrible and takes me months to recoup from just the medicine. I know during a flare it is something we have to do. I would be interested to know more of what you did to help your asthma naturally! For some reason Aleve affects me a lot. And Spring and fall, but I don’t have allergies. Just sinus issues.

8. Ed
    USA

Got a horrible bout of poison ivy, with weeping rash on my chest and legs. Got two rounds of oral methylprednisone, and a shot of it. Rash cleared up, but now my skin in hypersensitive to all sorts of things. Going on four months now of daily fighting total body tingling, itching, and welting. A recent 40mg shot of kenalog helped for about 4-5 days; but, back to square one. Taking 20mg of zyrtec per day, sometimes combined (alternating) with 25-75 mg of benadryl. Hard to sleep as every surface, including mattresses, linens, and bedding make me tingle/itch/break out. Worn out mentally, physically.

9. Heather
    Cleveland

I had histoplasmosis (fungal infection) that “turned” into Sarcoidosis (autoimmune disease).

I was on 40 mg for a month last year before the side effects of the prednisone became too much to deal with, and then spent another month and a half tapering off completely.

I was just put back on steroids, methylprednisone, 20 mg, and I started having horrible heart palpitations/flip flops!, and immense tension in my body that would not let me relax, and a nasty mood to beat.

You would think that there was some advice, other to grin and bear it!

10. Dee
    Missouri

I have Giant Cell Arteritis and have been on Prednisone for several years. When the doctor tapered the Prednisone a couple years ago, I started going blind. Had surgery to remove a tumor. Two days later I was okay from surgery, but either I was toxic from the Prednisone or suffering from adrenal failure. I still can’t tell the difference, cause the symptoms are pretty much the same. Apparently the doctors can’t tell either. One of them lowered the medicine and then other one raised it quite a bit 2 days later claiming some of symptoms are from too much and some from too little. How can that be? I burned my hand and feet a couple weeks ago (nasty blisters) cause I’m losing the ability to differentiate temperature. The doctor completely blew this off probably cause she doesn’t want me to question Prednisone. It would be nice if they were honest instead of telling patients what they think we want to hear. Does Prednisone cause neuropathy? I know it causes lack of sleep. I also can’t eat and am angry and overwhelmed which isn’t helped by no sleep. Gained over 5 pounds in one day yet I ate zero food and only took in 2 glasses of water. Feet are so swollen I can’t get shoes on. Doctor claims this is from tapering Prednisone, but it sounds more like too much Pred. If I knew what I know now when I started this drug, I would have accepted the risk of massive stroke, blindness or heart attack. Now I can’t get off the stuff. Seriously get a 2nd opinion before you ever go on Prednisone. Sometimes you can never go off it without blindness, adrenal failure and even death. They don’t tell you this when you start it cause they want to manipulate you into taking it.

11. Amber
    north carolina

I hurt my lumbar in Krav Maga and had horrific muscle spasms and pain. My orthopedic doctor diagnosed it as muscular and put me on prednisone taper starting with 70mg the first day and decreasing by 10mg everyday. I turned into satan. I could not sleep and I had extreme amount of rage (I termed it roid rage). I hated everyone- most of all myself. I could not stand myself and my anxiety was epic. I had the facial flushing and hot flashes. It is very unfortunate, because it sped up my healing time in leaps. Tomorrow is my last day and I can not wait! I hope I never have to take it again – it did help the original problem though. I will have to be fully sedated if I need to take it in the future!

12. Dave
    Spirit Lake Idaho, USA

I am taking 10 MG. of Prednisone a day for arthritis. I can not get below 2 MG. of this drug because of the pain coming back leaving me unable to walk. I then have to go back up to 10 MG. again and start down over again. I can’t get off of this drug. I am afraid of what it is doing to my immune system. I have been coming down at a rate of I MG> in 5 days until 2 mg. when I hurt so bad & can’t walk so here I go again to 10 MG> It is a dam roll a Koster!!

13. victoria

Last year, I was given prednisone for breathing problems due to a cold/flu. During that same time, I noticed that my vision in my right eye for seeing distance was doubled and it wasn’t until this year that I discovered this medicine can form cataracts.

Last month I had cataract surgery and was given an antibiotic, prednisolone AC and a night medicine, all eye drops. The antibiotic and prednisolone was causing me headaches, extreme drowsiness all day and pain on the surgery side of my face. My eye doctor didn’t believe me and told me to see my regular MD who suggested my eye doctor change the antibiotics which he didn’t. I had blood and urine checked and everything was ok.

I desperately called the eye doctor one evening after working hours because the symptoms were very bad and he had me stop the antibiotic and the night medicine and only take prednisolone AC 4 times a day for the weekend, and this was torture for me. When I saw him on Monday, he said to only take the prednisolone twice a day for 10 days and then once a day for 10 days. I can struggle through once a day but twice, I’m not sure. Yesterday my face, including my teeth and head hurt and I was drowsy all day long and my stomach wasn’t feeling right either.

I called a pharmacist to see if she had knowledge of these systems and maybe tell me what to do. She said it sounds like my energy level was low since I was always tired and drowsy and she recommended vit. B12 which I took and it didn’t do anything. So, I thought that since it could be that my energy level is low, then I would check my PH level which turned out pretty low, high acidic, so I researched how to keep my body alcholine by changing my diet.

This morning I bought a few stuff and made an alcoline breakfast and a fruit with almond smoothy. So far not much headache or stomach disconfort but still drowsy. I rechecked my ph level and it went from 6.0 to 7.0 but could be better. I don’t know what else to do to get some comfort, so hopefully, changing my diet to a very healthy one will help me, especially when this medicine lowers your immune system. I just started this diet this morning and will let you in a couple of days if its working.

14. Tammy
    California

Prednisone is a serious drug and can have serious side effects. I have been taking it at different times and in different doses for the last 8 years. I have lupus, severe asthma attacks and had a herniated disc. Luckily prednisone makes me feel great but that would be because it reduces the inflammation that makes my life so miserable. The only bad side effect I have is when I taper down. I take the medication to be able to breathe or able to get out of bed due to lupus flares. It can be a great drug for serious illnesses. It is definitely not a drug to be taken lightly. I am lucky that I do not have bad side effects and have weighed the long term effects with quality of life. I would not have a life if not for steroids so as with all medication you have to weigh the risks to the benefits. Even Tylenol can be deadly.

15. Debbie
    TN

My doctor prescribed 2 of the 20mg tabs for 3 days then 1 a day for 3 days to treat bronchitis. I took for the first 2 days and wasn’t having much relief so I asked the Dr to call in an inhaler in hopes that it would help open up my lungs. Well, apparently the inhaler had more steroids in it and within a few minutes I started to feel really strange. Like I wanted to jump out of my own skin! Then shortly after that I became manic.

I don’t remember what followed but my boyfriend says I flew into a rage then locked myself in my bedroom. When he tried to get in I refused for a while. Then finally let him in and he said I was writing suicide notes and had several old bottles of pain meds out on the bathroom counter. When I became very sleepy and disoriented he called 911.

Thank God he did because I apparently took several pain pills and overdosed. I spent 3 days in the hospital on suicide watch and I DON’T EVEN REMEMBER DOING ANYTHING! I had taken prednisone before in the step down dosepaks and not encountered any problems other than moodiness. Not sure if illness, exhaustion and work related stress played a part but I WILL NEVER TAKE THAT STUFF AGAIN!

16. Rebecca hale
    Tennessee

Second time taking pills first was the 10 day now It was a shot then 20 millagrams for 5 days! I took pills 3 Dayan stopped! No sleep swollen face nervous heart beating so fast panicing felt like I was dying! I have been diagnosed with chronic bronchitis and asthma I don’t care if this medicine makes it better in the end because I still haven’t slept my skin hurts I’m red all over! I also have hep c they say not to stop taking to taper off I stopped felt like I was dying! Never again! Any advice on the abrupt stopping? I’ve taking this short term pills twice, shots at least 6 times! Also since the very first time I’ve been incredibly tired!

• stacey
      Fairfield

I have been taking prednisone for 6 years. 5 he last two years have been unbearable. I take prednisone for asthma exacerbation. The only 0 nay issue is it causes me scicosidls…There words not mine but I do feel crazy. I can read the warning labels. I go from three doses of 125 in two days and they release me on 5 pills off 10 to 20 mh and wonder why I have anxiety through the rough….why even muscle in my body aches…..I cry uncontrollably this has been going on 6 years
      …….

17. Martin
    Rotherham

I am currently going through a 2nd case of optic neuritis. This time being much worse than the first (only 3 months ago.) This Time (unlike last time) I have been prescribed Prednisolone.
    What a massive shock to the system!! And really without any real advise on how I might feel. Apparently to “be aggressive” I was on 500mg (yes 500) for five days, lowered to 60mg after that. To be lowered by 20mg every 14 days.

Palpitations, heart burn / chest pains, severe neck pain, headaches, short temper and unable to think….., confusion, light-headedness, insomnia and generally feeling energy-less and unwell. I have been told I need to stick it out although I’ve said I’ve had enough!

The effects are starting to dip a little now as the dose drops but wow. Powerful stuff that obviously has its positives but really has a dark side!

18. Michelle
    Ontario

I am on day 28 of 50mgs of Pred. Other than the odd heachache and slight water retention I am feeling pretty awesome. I have a rare autoimmune disease Sarcoidosis which is in various organs of my body including my heart. This med has removed all joint pain and aches. If you are prescribed this med, remember there are MANY people that don’t get the horrible side effects. Most of the reading I have done are about how bad this drug is in high dosage. You never find the reviews about how great it is.

19. Cherrie
    Pennsylvania

I was given prednisone at the emergency room due to an asthma attack. I filled the prescription took one at home and felt horrible like the worst feeling ever, like I put something in my body that was killing myself. Threw them out immediately and will never take prednisone again.

20. Sheila
    England

I had myalgia and then temporal arteritis, which heavy doses of prednisolone cured. I then needed over 2 years to come off it slowly. Gradually all the side effects like dizziness,blood spots and rough skin, swollen ankles etc etc faded away and I finished the last dose a fortnight ago. Now I am constantly incredibly weak and sleepy. I try hard not to become depressed and walk every day but it is hard, as the drug gave me glaucoma and cataracts. Perhaps it takes a long time for the drug to clear out of one’s system.

• lisa
      UK

Hi, I started on prednisone 60mgs 2 days ago for temporal arteritis. Feel shocking! I’m 48 and a well person normally and am not looking forward to a 2 year course of this! Really? 2 years? I was told I’d be having a short course! At least I won’t go blind. Hopefully I’ll be ok but all this has been a bit of a shock. My partner is worried I’ll be more grumpy than normal!

21. alexander
    southafrica

Hi, I have had 3 operation in the past 3 years, first removal of my nasal polyps, I could breath anymore through my nose, them I pointed out my lump under the ear, which resulted in parotid gland surgery, removal of most the gland. My hearing on this ear did drastically decrease over the years as well. I noticed my tinnitus/buzzing in the ear becoming unbearable. After seeing my doctor again, who removed the polyps and improved my life tremendously, he suggested a ‘stapedectomy’ due to osclerosis. The op went well, though my tinnitus got more worse, my hearing almost disappeared completely. After seeing my doctor again, he prescribed Prednisone and antibiotics, as he explained that my sinus infection is clogging up my ears and hearing. Only 2 days after taking 8 pills Prednisone daily, I felt that I can hear again on my ‘deaf’ ear, it was like a miracle, the surgery worked. My tinnitus is also a little bit better. Frankly being almost a week on Prednisone now, I don’t feel any side effects just coughing, feeling a bit weak but I sleep well. Well, I just hope my hearing stays the way it is and will improve even more.

22. ugbjk/.
    nbvl.hjv

I had recent issues involving asthma and I was hospitalized twice. They prescribed me with this drug and now I have be having major anxiety and depression. I am also really paranoid for some reason when I hear noises. This drug is beneficial in some ways and not in other ways. For example for me it is negative all around. It doesn’t help my breathing and it make me 10000000 times more anxious than I usually am.

Also, I feel like I have to pee every minute and I feel like I’m going to fall asleep. It is also really important to be aware of the symptoms so you know what to expect.

23. Jill

A little over a month ago I hurt my back. I went into the Doctor and was diagnosed with Sciatica and put on 40mg of Prednisone for 5 days. The day I stopped taking it my skin hurt. It felt like I was either bruised all over or had a sunburn. The next day started with Tachycardia, extreme fatigue and stomach pain.

My Doctor does not think it’s due to the Prednisone because I was only on it for 5 days. But it seems like a pretty big coincidence that it started right after I came off of it.

I had an upper GI done which showed severe gastritis caused by the Prednisone. Now I have to have an endoscopy done to check for erosions and to have a biopsy done.

I was also sent to a Cardiologist who noted I have sinus Tachycardia, but believes it’s a symptom from something else. She stated it could possibly be from the Prednisone and I would just have to wait it out.

• Nicole
      Evans ,Colorado

Well I’ve been Severe Asthmatic since I was 4, I was taking liquid Steroids at 4, Gradually moving up to injections at 14 that would last up to 3 months. Unfortunately the Medication was the only medication ( Prednisone) that opened up my airways followed by tapers throughout my life ,now I’m 37 and from taking this evil drug. Now I suffer from early on stages of Oseoperosis,bone loss,depression ,severe anxiety along with other psychological problems. Also can’t and could never sleep on them associated with anxiousness,irritably, and on edge,body aches you name it. I am currently on a taper now as well, go figure. My asthma is so bad though and again Prednisone is the only way my lungs open up. Oh and if you are taking Prednisone long term it also affects your Adrenal Gland causing more issues such as Adrenal fatigue.

24. Nikki
    Oh.

Well I suffer from multiple autoimmune diseases and haven’t needed to take prednisone recently. But I also had never paid attention to how I was feeling while taking it. My rheumatologist gave me 20mg for 2wks then down to 10mg for 2wks don’t know if I can make it. Day 2 of no sleep getting cranky.

25. Brea
    Texas

I’ve been on and off prednisone for years because I have an auto-immune disease. I do well on it. Just want to add to everyone who goes on it that it’s VERY important that your dose be gradually decreased. Right now, I’m on 40 mg a day. When blood work shows normal, my dr will start decreasing that amount. I’l’l go to 30 a day for about a week, then 20, etc. Right around 10 mg is tricky time because your body has stopped producing cortisone, and it’s only at 10 mg that it will start again. I’ll stay on 10 for about a week, then 5, and even then, I’ll have to drop to 2.5 a day before stopping. Too fast, and I get nausea, weakness, etc. and can’t function.

26. val g.
    Eastbourne

Have been on steroids for 3 yrs at varying doses, but started to reduce at around December, but got sick and ended back on 50 mg, loads of anti etc, saw my consultant this week and now I have to go into hospital for minimum of 3 weeks to come of them, having read some of his stuff I don’t feel very happy about the whole situation.