Depression

Prednisone (and similar corticosteroids) can be a life saving drug. It saved my sanity when I developed sudden hearing loss in one ear. That was a really scary experience for someone who depends on hearing to be able to do live radio.

The ear, nose and throat specialist diagnosed my deafness as “idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss.” In other words, he didn’t have a clue what caused it. He did prescribe high doses of prednisone and within a few days my hearing returned.

Similar corticosteroids like Prednisone include

• Cortisone
  • Dexamethasone
  • Hydrocortisone
  • Methylprednisolone
  • Prednisolone

There are many conditions for which such drugs can be extremely valuable, even life saving. Here are just a few:

• Very serious allergic reactions (bad poison ivy for example)
  • Anaphylactic shock (life-threatening allergic reaction)
  • Brain tumors
  • Inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s disease)
  • Severe asthma (usually to help control acute flare-ups)
  • Severe nausea of chemotherapy
  • High altitude sickness (when there is brain swelling)
  • Traumatic brain injury
  • Addison’s disease
  • Rheumatoid arthritis, lupus and polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR)
  • Multiple sclerosis (MS)
  • Giant cell arteritis

As useful as corticosteroids can be for a wide range of conditions, the drugs can also cause an extraordinary number of serious side effects. Some people have likened this to a deal with the devil. Even short-term use can cause problems.

My personal experience with Prednisone

The week or two that I took prednisone for my hearing loss I couldn’t sleep, became incredibly irritable and hard to live with, and felt as if I had turned into someone I didn’t know or like. A study in the American Journal of Psychiatry analyzed data from hundreds of thousands of European patients over an 18 year period.

They discovered that people taking corticosteroids were more likely to experience neuropsychiatric symptoms including depression, suicidal thoughts (and actions), delirium, disorientation, confusion, panic and manic episodes.

The authors conclude that: “Glucocorticoids [another term for corticosteroids] increase the risk of suicidal behavior and neuropsychiatric disorders. Educating patients and their families about these adverse events and increasing primary care physicians’ awareness about their occurrence should facilitate early monitoring.”

I can relate. I certainly felt disoriented and out of control on the relatively high dose I was taking. The trouble is that patients and their families are not always warned about such side effects.

Scary Prednisone side effects that have been reported to us

“Years ago I was given prednisone in the emergency room for a severe anaphylactic reaction that affected my ability to breathe and caused massive hives. Although the treatment may have been necessary, I too had a severe psychotic reaction and when I finally went to my own doctor and had blood tests, my blood chemistry was all over the map. I had to continue the tapered dose till I was done but I wish someone had warned me of possible side effects so at least I wouldn’t think I was totally crazy.

“I questioned my ability to drive, slept constantly, and was quite volatile. I had to take a day off from work. Knowledge is power! People should be warned about possible side effects so they have the information should side effects occur.”

-AC

“I was on 20mg twice a day of prednisone for a sinus infection. Had I known anything about this horrible drug I would have never taken the meds and let my sinus infection clear up on its own. That would have been better than these side effects.
“I was not told to taper the dose, so I took as prescribed 20mg twice daily for 7 days. The day after stopping my whole body hurt to the touch, as if I was black and blue all over. I was swollen, red and had a lump on my neck, not to mention being very disoriented. I went back to the doctor and he insisted this had nothing to do with the drug.
“I checked myself into the ER where they put an IV drip with benadryl and the like. I was discharged that day. No change. Next day, didn’t hurt to the touch anymore. New side effect – rash from head to toe and severe indigestion. Following day, rash subsiding, indigestion getting better. Still feeling a bit loopy, but I am told by next week I should be back to myself again.
“I am warning everyone i know not to ever take a steroid unless your life is in danger. It is a very scary feeling – all for a sinus infection.”
-AMS

“I’m having Prednisone side effects. My doctor prescribed this drug last Thursday. She prescribed 20mg twice daily for five days. I was sleepless for three days in row. On day 4 after a short nap I awake feeling so nervous. I am crying, my hands are shaking, and my heart is beating so hard. These are awful feelings.
“My doctor told me I will feel that way for about nine days. She didn’t show any care about me. She also said I can go back to work (and drive a long way) the next day. But the way I was and am feeling I’m not daring to drive even one block.
“I do not understand why she prescribed that medicine, without any warning, for a small allergy I had. I mean the medicine was worse than my illness.”
-ELY

“My wife had sleepless nights when on prednisone and the doctor said that she might do some odd things that she normally wouldn’t do. He was right. One night she got up and tore down the wall paper in our bathroom :-) We still get a laugh over this one.”
-Bob K.

“I am experiencing high blood pressure, agoraphobia, panic attacks, light headedness, confusion, weakness, intolerance to heat, IBS, shaking, etc. These side effects all started the day I stopped the drug. It has been 7 days with not much improvement. I was hospitalized for 3 days. I pray I do not EVER have to take prednisone again… EVER.
“I am hoping I get past this. My quality of life stinks. I took 30mg 1 day 20mg 2 days and 1 mg 2 days. Absolutely HATE this.”
-SKF

These are just some of the messages that have been posted to our website. Feel free to add your story or comment below. We find it astonishing that some prescribers do not warn patients about the possibility of psychological side effects brought on by prednisone and friends. Even a short-course of high-dose steroid can precipitate symptoms. And not warning about gradual tapering borders on bad medicine. To protect yourself and your loved ones from such medical mistakes we suggest our latest book, Top Screw-ups Doctors Make and How to Avoid Them.

We want to emphasize that corticosteroids can be very valuable. Some people must take them for the rest of their lives because of a very serious or life-threatening condition. And NO ONE should ever stop taking a drug like prednisone suddenly. It must be phased off gradually under medical supervision.

Other side effects associated with corticosteroids like Prednisone

• Fluid retention, edema
  • Insomnia
  • Irritability, nervousness, mood swings, mania, depression, psychosis
  • Disorientation, confusion
  • Hypertension
  • Loss of potassium
  • Headache
  • Dizziness, vertigo
  • Muscle weakness
  • Blood sugar elevation (diabetes)
  • Irregular menstrual cycles
  • Swollen face
  • Hair growth (including on the face)
  • Itching, rash, hives
  • Increased susceptibility to infection
  • Weakened bones (osteopenia, osteoporosis)
  • Tendon rupture
  • Glaucoma
  • Cataracts
  • Ulcers

The higher the dose and the longer someone takes a drug like prednisone the more likely there will be side effects. Make sure your physician is monitoring things like potassium, blood sugar, bone density and psychological well being. And never stop a corticosteroid suddenly!

1. angela
    minnesota

I was put on 20 mg predisone tablets twice a day for 5 days and then to take one a day until all were gone for a sinus infection. I was not told that this would stop the coughing from a cold and stop the blowing from my nose. It was horrible as within an hour I had a very severe headache.. was irritable and felt like I was having an out of body experience… Talk about feeling anxious.. It was an experience that is hard to describe but I felt like running around in circles without the energy to do it.. No sleep and no coughing which added to my stress as thought I was going into pneumonia… I even snapped at my husband when he said he thought this new medicine was the cause of my feeling so wild… I never snap at him and wondered what was wrong with me. I will never take it again unless for a life threatening time and have to.

2. Chris
    95125

I can’t take NSAIDs, so when I hurt my back, the doctor put me on prednisone for 10 days. Wow! Not only was it the most effective drug for back pain I ever had, having suffered with tiredness for 25 years, I now felt absolutely wonderful & full of energy. I slept normal, all my bodily aches I’ve had for years were gone, and a weird disk-like rash I had for about a year went away. My sole regret is that I had to stop taking it.

3. Shana
    United States

I was first prescribed prednisone in 1985 at the age of 37 when I was diagnosed with severe asthma, all bronchial, no allergies involved. My journey with this drug continued with very long and high dosages. I would be on for three weeks, off for two weeks and back on for how ever many weeks it took. This regime continued for at least 15 years when the asthma became controlled. At the 10 year mark, I was diagnosed with diabetes 2.

Every time I take prednisone my blood sugar rises to a very high level. I still have problems with weight, sleeping and sugar control. My doctor made me aware of some of the side effects. In fact, he even suggested a low dose paxil, which I refused at first but began taking after almost two years on prednisone. I am very thankful for that little pill.

There were no special instructions about what foods to avoid. Only through a book that I found on line, “Coping With Prednisone,” did I learn that I was eating incorrectly. I learned to steer clear of all simple carbohydrates, all of them. Of course, I had to stay away from sugar. Even changing my diet did not help. The weight gain I experienced still haunts me today. I am obese and the weight just does not come off. I walk for exercise and eat healthy. It is the stares from other people that make it even harder.

Now my condition is COPD. No, I never smoked. If you are just beginning to take prednisone, I will tell you there is absolutely no other drug that takes affect so quickly to help me to breathe. I suffer through some of the difficulties listed above but that is what I need to do if I want to continue to live.

Good luck to you.

4. Annie
    Ocean grove

I take steroids about once a year when I have a flare up of ulcerative colitis.
    It’s true that it’s a dangerous drug and not one to take lightly, but when I have a flare up its like a miracle cure.
    Fortunately my doctor is careful in restricting my intake and so am I .
    It’s true that if you haven’t had it before it would seem truly horrible, sweating, roaring in my ears, muscle cramps, wakefulness & pain.
    But in my case it’s a trade off for a while to stop the diarrhea, exhaustion, constant sleeping, weight loss & not being able to eat.
    Use it only for something serious and be very mindful of the dose, the tapering & how long you are on it for.
    If there’s any other way, use that. It’s true it’s a miracle cure, but it’s a double edged sword.

5. Marie T.
    New Zealand

I have rheumatoid arthritis and have been on doses of between 5 and 40 mg daily of prednisone for most of this year. I was on Humira (a self-inject biologic) for 3 months but had a severe skin reaction, (burning, weeping eczema and hives) so was on 40 mg prednisone to calm it down. I gradually got down to 5 mgs, but attempts to stop resulted in a flare up of symptoms. Then I went on Enbrel (another biologic) and suffered another severe skin reaction, this time only to my face. I had eczema and cracked, bleeding lips. I’m back up to 20 mgs and when I try to cut back, my skin deteriorates. However I know the prednisone makes my skin thin and fragile.
    So sick of it!

6. joanne t.
    washougal wa

I had a stroke and on the day of my release my Dr. decided I had had a giant cell arteritis and put me on 40 mg of prednisone and she took a blood test that came back negative but didn’t tell anyone so I took it for 8 days and my eye dr. decided I didn’t have it so I stopped it right away and the next day my Dr took a blood draw and made sure I didn’t have it, but I am having terrible side affects which the Dr. says is not from the medicine but I don’t believe them, all of a sudden I am anxious and nervous so they just want to put me on anti depression drugs. I am so angry that the Dr. at the hospital did not tell anyone I didn’t have, if she had I would have not taken the drug.

• Willow
      Michigan

Same for me, except I had no reactions to the humira or enbrel. They just dont work at all. I’ve been on prednisone for just under 2 years. And I can’t see my future without it… I’m only 22. :(

7. Polly
    UK

I took 30 mg per day Prednisolone for just seven days to help get over a severe chest infection – as someone who already has very difficult breathing problems. The Prednisolone was a major benefit physically BUT about ten days after stopping, then depression became horrific. Maybe it has something to do with estrogen therapy also being taken and the thoughtful medical advice was given that I might benefit from leaving off the estrogen for a while. I’m not so sure that was a good idea.
    I am back on the full dose of estrogen and that feels better, so far.
    For those who don’t suffer depression, please understand that it is not a matter of “being depressed about something” – that is just being ‘very unhappy’ about something or some issue(s) in particular.
    Depression is actually dangerous in that the thing that allows us to mentally suppress and order (to an appropriately necessary extent) the nastier things that we are aware of in all of life (war, financial crises, murder, crime of all sorts, politics and many of our day-to-day more personal issues), are no longer appropriately suppressed nor ordered. Everything is there on top. It can be overwhelming in its worst state and certainly in a mild form it can cause confusion of memory, partly, I think because that mental ‘filing and filtering system’ gets scrambled, too.
    During my recent bout, I knew all my many passwords, no problem at all except the big one: which password applied to what? Was that one for the bank or was it my day-to-day email, or was it the one for my website? Or was it out out of date and now replaced with that one based on my grandparents?
    Anyway, a lot better today, thank heaven but getting that memory stuff back in a proper state of order is not yet fully achieved.

8. Barbara R.
    Salem County New Jersey

I was diagnosed with Lupus over 4 years ago, and I have been on predisone since my diag. I’m aware of the side affects. I have been trying to get my Rheumatologist to ween me off, she said when ever she tries, I start to flare.

I take 5 mg daily, is there another approach we can try? I’m 66 years old and I am worried my mental health and early osteoporosis and other health problems. I have been encouraged to explore integrative medicine.

• Colleen R.
      West Palm Beach, Fl

I too have lupus and was diagnosed with kidney failure. I was on 500 mgs of Prednisone and it took almost 2 years to ween me off of it but my rheumatologist put me on Plaquenil also. Originally, I was in the hospital for two and a half weeks and I started to have really bad mood swings and put on 20lbs while there. You are your best advocate. Remember the doctors work for YOU and how you feel matters. You are not forced to listen to them but make sure you convey your issues.

9. wayne
    Boulder creek

Can taking prednisone early in life, at 10 with full blown crohn’s and colitis, cause growth problems? I took it until red was no more in bowel and weight stayed good. 3 to 4 yrs off and on it, but I’m in remission now thank god.

But the growth thing, can it effect the male /parts/? Feels like it scarred me for life… hives always, for life with acne… but bowel is good so I’m happy. But lonely… can someone answer this?

10. Em.
    SC

Just finished a round that began at 40mgs (to treat vertigo, swelling & ear clicking from chronic sinusitis). Previously I’ve taken prednisone without much incident (aside from sleeplessness and increased energy); however, this dose was double the usual.

Side effects began with incredible insomnia and increased appetite, then rapidly transitioned to extreme, throbbing leg pains that only can be compared to receiving multiple shots while achy with the flu. With the leg pain came overall joint pain and muscular sensitivity, in addition to incredible depression (I’m an affable person). As intake decreased, side effects worsened to mental disorientation, extreme dizziness and the inability to hold up my head. My arms, fingers and face went numb, and my hands could not stop shaking. Breathing became difficult, and my legs couldn’t support me.

It’s been 32hrs since my final dose, and my legs and joints have not stopped aching. While mental disorientation and dizziness have waned, the physical side effects continue and in some ways have even worsened. My doctor advised taking advil to help with muscular pain but I have found warm epson salt baths to be the best remedy.

11. jen
    arkansas

I was put on methylpred Nov 7 (21 pill pack) for AC joint separation. The first day on the drug I felt fine the second day I took one pill and started feeling awful panic/anxiety/ dizzy medicine head feeling/and legs are weak. I called Med Express the place that prescribed it to me they said not to take anymore.

So I took a total of 7 pills and I still have anxiety, medicine head feeling and my legs are also weak feeling. I have been unable to drive due to I don’t want to endanger innocent people. I have gone to my real DR several Times even had an MRI of my head because no one thinks my issues are still happening because of this drug. I was fine besides my shoulder hurting before taking this pill. I would not recommend this drug as my side effects are going on 4 weeks.

12. Ia_tea
    Canada

I was put on prednisone for rheumatoid arthritis. When I got emerg my hands were so swollen I couldn’t drive or touch anything. The doc started me on 50mg and I stayed with that dosage for about 2 weeks. During that time my RA flare up extended to my entire right side of my body and I could barely use my hands and arm.

I’m not sure if the emotional hell I went through was due to the drugs or the fact that I was diagnosed with another stupid disease (I have celiac too) at 25. My face has been swollen, I don’t really feel like myself, I have trouble sleeping, my voice has been cracking, I’m loosing hair like mad and have some minor personality changes… but I wouldn’t change a thing. My RA is getting under control and I am now at 10mg and will slowing taper down the dose to avoid extreme side effects. While in theory I would tell people to not take prednisone, it helped me so much that I cant in good consciousness not share my story and let you all know that its worth the side effects in some situations. Hopefully by this weekend I will be completely off the drugs and get back to my normal state of mind with a mildly broken body :)

13. Lea
    California

I’m on a prednisone 40mg once a day for 3 days. Then 20mg for 3 days and so on. For severe lower back pain where I could not stand up.
    It seems to be helping, I feel I have more energy than I’ve had for years.. I have not had any negative side effects yet but I still have 5 days left…..

14. JustMe
    florida

I was put on 40 mg once a day for 5 days for a severe tonsilitis! I wasn’t even thinking because the fever I had was so high that I just wanted to be better, but I should have known better than to take such a high dose. At any rate, I did get better as far as the fever, but my throat didn’t after 4 days of prednisone and a strong antibiotic. I was not told to taper, probably because it was a short course, but I didn’t take my last dose. Instead I took my husband’s Valtrex to see if that would help my throat since it looked like ulcers on my tonsil, which typically indicates viral. It worked! But…I now wake up with a super swollen face, hands, and feet since stopping prednisone!! The swelling does go down by mid morning but still a little swelling all day. I also keep getting headaches and I normally never get them. I still have dizziness and disorientation but not too bad. Still annoying though. I do have osteoarthritis, but the pain is more severe right now. Sure hope I get back to normal soon. I look like a freak in the mornings, I’m more tired than usual, and my body aches more! I have 6 kids to take care of!

15. KazD
    Ireland

Hi, I was put on Prednisolone 30mgs yesterday for Chronic sinusitis and rhino-sinusitis – since starting them yesterday – they have already made me feel like I’m loosing the plot – I suffer deep clinical depression amongst a lot of other things and I done nothing but cry yesterday from taking these. I actually felt to the point I wanted to self harm and had to really stop myself. My husband has said my mood has gone all over the place from yesterday from starting these. I am on them for 1 week and then different treatment after that for 2 weeks then another different treatment there after… these tablets seem to have affected me almost instantly and not in a good way, my husband brought them back over to the chemist this morning and explained to them how they were making me feel and react – only to be told “Well she must need them, it is up to her whether or not she takes them” what kind of an answer is that? So took them again today and am ringing the doctor on Monday, as I say, I am only on them for a week however at this rate I will be ready to throw myself over a cliff.

I have never ever had anything like this in my life affect me like these and the only thing the consultant said to me was “They may make your hiatus hernia a little worse” nothing about anything else. Even writing this I feel like crying, it’s shocking. Have any of you been put on this dreaded medication for the same reason I have? And have any of you experienced what I am? I have also found from starting them yesterday, my head has been pounding, I don’t sleep well normally but had very, very little sleep last night. This to me is very worrying. I really feel for you all that is on this.

• Geena
      NSW Australia

I was on these dreaded tablets for 4 weeks (Dr wanted me on them for 10) but after the first week I was already feeling badly with insomnia, sweats, moody (crying all the time for nothing) so I rang him and told him I needed to wean off these things before I went loopy. He said ok lets do 25mgs for 1 week, 20mgs for 1 week, 15 for 1 week, then 10 for 1 week, 5 for 1 week and then stop.

Well this wasn’t fast enough for me so I did as he said until I got to the 15mg mark where I did 15 for 3 days, 10 for 3 days, 5 for 3 days, 2.5 for 3 days and then 1 for 2 days and then stop. Thought it would be ok until day 4 off them when I fell apart. The fatigue got me so bad I could hardly get out of bed. Have taken the week off work as I cant go due to this fatigue, numbness still in hands and feet, crying all the time and generally unwell. I understand this prednisone saves lives and is a great drug for some but I am not one of them and I will never go on these things again, there must be a substitute for this drug. One Dr. suggested I go back on them on a 1mg dose and start tapering off slower, is he nuts or what? Ive been a week without them as if I could go back now. No way…. I think if you have problems on this drug in the first week then speak to your Dr and get off them. They are not for everyone….

16. Bilal
    Nebraska

After my doctor diagnosed me they found that I am ANCA positive, also the same time my kidney became affected from vasculit. Now I started 20mg three times a day. Does someone know if prednisone works for vasculit treatment?

17. Sandy H.
    Oregon

Hello All,
    I am soooo glad to have found this site! I went to Urgent Care last night because I have had a terrible headache with shooting pains in the right temple for five days straight. The doc said it could be temporal arteritis and prescribed a seven day course of Prednisone. I am bi-polar and have severe sleep issues. After reading the psychological side affects of this drug, there is no way I should be on it! I have been suicidal in the past but have everything under control now because of the right meds and a wonderful psychologist. I will definitely NOT take this! Haven’t even confirmed the diagnosis yet and he is prescribing the Prednisone like it’s aspirin without taking into consideration my existing problems, which I told him about. Fortunately the pharmacist told me that it might keep me awake all night so I didn’t take it as I had already been without much sleep for almost a week. Thanks to everyone who shared their experiences with this drug… you have probably saved me from a very bad experience! My heart goes out to all of you struggling with health problems.
    Thanks again.

18. DaisyD
    NY

I was prescribed Prednisone to deal with an allergic reaction (hives, all over body itching) I had to Nabumetone, an NSAID for osteoarthritis. It worked for the allergy, but I had extreme heartburn for several days–so much so that I actually lost 4 lbs. It also made me nauseous. My orthopedist wants to prescribe a course of steroids (including Prednisone) to help me with my severe sciatica and lumbar arthritis I’ve had for 7 months. I feel like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place! Has anyone had success with Prednisone for osteoarthritis/sciatica pain?

19. Melanie
    usa

I was prescribed prednisone for severe contact dermatitis from poison ivy, and I felt like kissing a pharmacist!! It worked so well to stop an out of control immune response that was making my life miserable!! Experienced dizziness and cloudy thinking as a result, considering discontinuing the rest due to upcoming Ochem exam! Rash is getting better and I need to study!!

20. Jill
    Caribbean

After contracting Chicangunya, with one week of fever and agonizing joint pain, followed by 4 weeks of debilitating, persistent joint pain, making it very painful to walk, stand up, roll over in bed, etc.

All the literature indicates there is no cure for Chikangunya, only pain relief with aspirin and Ibuprofen. These helped my pain, but gave no improvement to range of movement or severe joint swelling.

After 5 weeks I went to my Dr. and he prescribed a 15 day course of Prednisone. Within hours of the first tablet, I experienced profound and complete relief from all joint symptoms, feel like a woman reborn.

Now, reading of possible side effects I am concerned about what will happen after I am off the drug. For now, I am pain free, energetic, feeling great, though suffering insomnia.

21. Donis M.
    Wildwood, FL

This is my 2nd. Round of this medicine ( first time to repair my hearing that was damaged due to Encephilits in 2002). I am on the 20mg doseage for Tenfinitis on my left elbow. I have 2 more days left & a horrible cough…….

22. Hank

Have been diagnosed with chronic pericarditis, inflammation of the sack around the heart. Very painful! The only relief is prednisone in a high dose. WORKS UNBELIEVABLE! Within hours full relief. Been on different doses for 8 months. The bad was, once weaned off the drug I would have an attack of pericarditis… I am down to 12mg a day and 800 -1600 mg a day of ibuprofen.

I have gained about 15 pounds and my wife says I am very irritable when I was on 50 mg a day. I am looking forward to being off the prednisone in the coming months. Without the drug I would have missed much more work and suffered horribly. My wife and I are still together.

23. T.E. van Heerden
    South Africa

I have shared my thoughts previously. Landed in hospital near death with an abscess. (Was diagnosed with Sjogrens disease.) The best advice I can give is to check if they are giving the correct medication. I was given Panafcort 2 months ago, a generic, and I had really nasty side effects. Much worse than on Prednisone. My hair was falling out excessively, itchiness very bad from head to toe, rapid heartbeat, very depressed, total lack of concentration, mood swings, no concentration and could not work at all and I had excessive muscle pains. I thought I was busy dying until I realized what it was. The Prednisone has side effects for me but not as bad as the Panafcort.

24. Elena
    San Diego, Ca.

Thank you to the brave people sharing on their use of prednisone 20mg. When I go to the doctor I always obey and buy the prescribed medicine….BUT….first I research the side effects! And you convinced me NOT to take! I will let my body Heal slowly. ( My symptoms, back from traveling were flu like, stomach, throat, general ill feelings, serious, but getting better).

25. Mack
    Chicago

I am in high school, and I have been put on prednisone more than five times that I can remember. While on prednisone for asthma I could not sleep and I felt very jittery. It also made me very anxious and hyper. I do not recommend prednisone unless you really need it.

26. Eileen
    Canada

I have PMR (polymyalgia rheumatica)…..a very painful condition. I suffered for a few months before being diagnosed. Had a useless life; couldn’t enjoy my grandchildren or continue any physical activities. I was diagnosed 2 months ago and my doctor prescribed 25 mg. of prednisone a day; taken in the morning only. It was a life saver! I have no more pain, am active. Was warned of all the side effects, but fortunately so far only small weight gain and a puffy face, and a dry mouth and throat (can’t sing anymore). I sleep well at night (because I don’t take it before bed). Maybe I am one of the lucky ones from the comments I have read. But for some conditions, like PMR, Prednisone is a necessity if you want a pain free life. My Dr. has said I would probably be on it for a year maybe longer. PMR could be a part of my life…..it can go into remission but it can also return any time. Thought I would post this as it is kind of positive. Usually see a lot more negative comments posted.

• Genevieve
      Arizona

I also have PMR (polymyalgia rheumatica) and am on 20 mg. of prednisone once a day. All the pain I had was gone in the 4th day taking the prednisone. It was a welcome relief after suffering for about 10 months not knowing what was wrong. I have had weight gain and some trouble sleeping at night and mood changes and I can cry for no reason at all. Those are minor side effects compared to the pain I had. It gave me my life back. I understand some people have not been able to take prednisone because of bad side effects but for me it is worth the risk. I am very lucky, prednisone gave me back a pain free life. I think some people did not have the right information about the drug. You must come off it slowly and with Dr. supervision. There has been a lot of negative posts about prednisone but it can be a very good drug for many people.

27. Tracy D.
    United States

I had been prescribed 3 consecutive scripts for prednisone 60 mg with a 9 day taper (40, 20) to stop my sciatica pain til I could have a nerve block, epidural. I have gained 10 pounds in 27 days, was suicidal, depressed beyond belief,.blurry vision, audio and visual hallucinations and basically unable to work the final week.

I have never had such a terrible month in my life. Yes, the physical pain stopped, but I am just now starting to feel almost human. My doc prescribed xanax, half mg 3 times a day which has helped with the rapid heartbeat and panic attacks. Please speak with your doctor about all these side effects. In a million years I would NEVER take it again!