Q. I feel like crying for joy when yesterday I was just ready to cry. After battling lice for weeks I was almost ready to take a razor to the long brown locks that have taken me three years to grow.
Thank goodness I found the Listerine and vinegar treatment for lice. It really worked.
I soaked my hair in Listerine and covered it with a shower cap for more than an hour. After washing it out, I rinsed with vinegar and had no trouble combing out the nits. I will be treating my hair at least once a month for the rest of my life just to keep these creepy crawlers away.

A. The alcohol together with the herbal oils in Listerine is probably responsible for killing the lice. Vinegar loosens the glue that holds nits (louse eggs) to the hair shaft. You can learn more about this approach at www.PeoplesPharmacy.com.

1. sassyboo09

My daughter and I had it a few weeks ago! And it worked! And Thankfully saved time and money! Thanks Peoples Pharmacy!

2. wh

I have had lice for 4 months now. My 5 year old granddaughter gave them to me mother’s day. She is lice free using over the counter lice shampoo but I can’t get rid of them. Listerine does not work, alcohol does not work, olive oil, coconut oil doesn’t work. I can’t find the nits. I have used vinegar. And comb everyday for hours. I comb lice out using a comb when my hair is dry. My doctor told me to find a clinic to help me. One is in Florida but I don’t have the money to go there. I have washed everything, vacuumed every day. Nothing helps. I can feel them crawling on my body too. Can some body help me?

3. Joandrey S.

nice. I want to try your remedies. I wish that it will work.

4. ebm

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE — after applying olive oil and BEFORE you rinse or put any water on it, douse your hair with lots of shampoo and work it in real well. Then rinse out and wash again. If you add water first, it makes a sticky gooey mess that takes many, many shampoos to get out. My sister ended up using laundry soap, imagine!

5. JT

Another remedy that worked for me after many treatments with the over the counter anti-lice shampoos failed was olive oil. Lice can’t develop an immunity to it as it works mechanically by smothering them. It involves saturating your head with olive oil and letting it sit for 30 minutes before washing it out. Do this once a week for three weeks. The repeat treatments get the nits as they hatch and before they are mature enough to reproduce.

6. betty

Many many years ago when I was about eight I stayed with a family for several days. I woke up in the middle of every night covered with horribly itching mosquito bites and complained to the hostess. She rubbed me down with Listerine and the itching went away immediately. It puzzled me how mosquitos got under the blankets. When I got home I told my mother about the mosquito bites. She was upset and said they weren’t mosquitos.. they were bedbugs.. and she took very severe precautions with my little overnight bag. (I did not go back)