Q. I have had a painful canker sore for a week. I had been using saltwater rinses to no avail.
Yesterday, when I heard The People’s Pharmacy radio program I was prompted to search your website for a home remedy for canker sores. I found sauerkraut mentioned and I purchased a bag last night. (I was desperate!)
This morning, I awoke to find the sore has not yet healed but the pain is much, much better. I’m a believer! Now I just have to buy some hot dogs to eat with the sauerkraut.

A. Canker sores (aphthous ulcers) are mysterious mouth lesions that can come and go for no apparent reason. Accidentally biting the cheek, tongue or lip can trigger an outbreak.
The sauerkraut juice remedy dates back at least to the 1930s. More than a decade ago, a caller to our radio show told us about this remedy his mother learned as a dental assistant. Swish sauerkraut juice around in the mouth several times a day, swallowing about a tablespoon each time. The sores usually start improving within a day or so.
Here’s another testimonial: “My physician prescribed triamcinolone to treat a few canker sores in my mouth. It worked, but three weeks later another swarm got started, some of which could only be reached with difficulty. I tried the sauerkraut juice and it started working within a few hours on all the sores.”

1. D.O.

When I get canker sores, I take B vitamins and they usually disappear within two days or at least the pain goes away. Also, I drink lots of water. I seem to get canker sores if I let my diet be rich in protein and carbs and little vegetables (raw) or when my body is too acidic.

2. ebm

I sometimes get blisters on the roof of my mouth or cheek or gums in back by molars. I would pierce them with fingernail and a minute or so later they’d fill up again, I pierced them again till it stopped, but the area was sore. It happened when I had an overload of yeast in my system. Too many carbs, sweets and not enough alkaline foods to offset it. I also get them after eating crunchy chips or hard toast/bread (I’m a cruncher, nothing soft) and salad dressing/pepper really blows them up. I tried Kiwi for a painful cancer sore on the inside bottom lip that lingered forever, it worked, but I only had ONE and it takes more than one day. Next I’ll try sauerkraut juice. (Tried baking soda, MOM, etc.) Too much acid from carbs and sweets trigger sores for me.

3. M H

I have been using vitamin B2 for canker sores for years. It works great at healing the sores and at preventing them. Also helps prevents migraines.

4. LM

I use to have a lot of cancer sores decades ago. Finally started taking acidophilus with milk whenever one started. Went away real fast.
    Now I eat yogurt once a week.

5. Carla

I tried sauerkraut juice for canker sores after reading about it on the People’s Pharmacy, but the taste was really bad — and I like sauerkraut! What worked like magic for me was another remedy from PP, kiwi fruit.
    When a canker sore comes on, I peel a kiwi, cut it into slices. I hold a slice against the sore with my tongue for a few moments, then chew, swallow and repeat with the remaining slices. The canker sore heals very quickly. I am so grateful to have read about kiwi for canker sores on the People’s Pharmacy!

6. Wendy

Another quick remedy is cream of tartar dabbed on the sore until it goes away. Usually a day or so, 4 or 5 applications.

7. GS

I have not had trouble with canker sores, but I have had problems with blood blisters in my mouth. Apparently, when I eat something hard, such as french fries, the ends scratch the inside of my mouth and cause these blisters. For some reason, I also associate them with chocolate candy. No one else I know seems to know anything about this phenomena. I was wondering if anyone else knew anything about these blood blisters.