Subscriptions
  • Join our People's Pharmacy Page on Facebook
  • Follow JoeGraedon on Twitter
  • Follow Us
  • Free email newsletter

Print This Page

Are Gin-Soaked Raisins Safe?

  • Currently 4.7/5
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Not Helpful ..... Very Helpful
Was this information helpful? Average rating: 4.7/5 (71 votes)
What do you think? Click the stars to vote!
If you have more to say, post a comment below!

Q. My question regards gin-soaked raisins. If a person takes a medication, in my case Toprol-XL, and is not supposed to drink alcoholic beverages because of that, is it harmful to eat nine little raisins daily?

I surely hope not, as I've been using those raisins for several years with great success. If I get lazy about it and don't use them for two or three weeks, my knee pains come back.

Should I tell my doctor about the raisins? I'm not trying to hide it, but I just never think to ask him when I'm in his office. I would hate to give up my raisins.

A. Metoprolol (Toprol-XL) and other beta blockers such as atenolol and propranolol may interact with alcohol by lowering blood pressure too much. This is usually associated with alcoholic beverages such as a glass or two of wine.

The amount of alcohol in nine raisins (the correct dose) is one drop. It is unlikely that this much will create an interaction with your metoprolol.

We are sending you our Guide to Alternatives for Arthritis with information on how to make gin-soaked raisins and answers to frequently asked questions. It is important to allow the gin to evaporate fully before consuming the raisins. Let your doctor know you are using this remedy.

  • Currently 4.7/5
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Not Helpful ..... Very Helpful
Was this information helpful? Average rating: 4.7/5 (71 votes)
What do you think? Click the stars to vote!
If you have more to say, post a comment below!

4 Comments

| Leave a comment

Maybe she can take the medication a different time than the raisins (waiting 2 or 3 hours before or after)?

per instructions I read the raisins are placed in a flat pan such as a cookie pan and allowed to sit for 24 hrs. before bottling so the alcohol evaporates and would not be a problem.

I have tried white & red raisins in gin, but I like the red much better. Has anyone had good results with red raisins and is it necessary every day?

Why use golden raisins. They are natural raisins bleached using sulphur . Would it be the sulphur that is medicinal and not the fruit. Can one use plain dried raisins? Can one use whiskey in place of gin. Is it the alcohol that counts?

Leave a comment

Share your comments or questions with the People's Pharmacy online community. Not all comments will be posted. Advice from other visitors to this web site should not be considered a substitute for appropriate medical attention. Concerns about medications should be discussed with a health professional. Do not stop any medication without first checking with your physician.

Check this box to be notified by email when follow-up comments are posted.