a jar of pickles

Q. Recently I had heartburn that was painful but not devastating. This doesn’t happen to me often, so I had no antacids. Instead, I planned to wait until the burning stopped on its own.
I took a sip (no more than a tablespoon) of pickle juice (from sweet pickle sandwich slices) and to my amazement the pain went away INSTANTLY and didn’t recur. A week or so later, I got heartburn again. This time, the only pickles in the house were dill spears, but once again, a small sip of juice gave me immediate lasting relief.
I’ve only tried this twice, but I’ll never reach for antacids again if I can get some pickle juice. I’ve never heard of this before.
Once could be a fluke, but twice? Have you ever heard of this?
A. Pickle juice seems like the last thing you would want to swallow if you had heartburn. Nevertheless, we have heard from many readers that vinegar, the main ingredient in pickle juice, helps ease indigestion. Here is just one story:

“I am extremely skeptical of alternative medicine and home remedies, perhaps because I taught human physiology for 25 years. Nevertheless, after having little success with drugs, I tried apple cider vinegar in water for my acid reflux. It has been much more effective than any of the standard medications.”

1. Ama
    Pittsburgh

When I was younger, my brother, sister, and I used to go to a skating rink in Princeton, WV. They had a “baby bottle contest” where they mixed the most “horrid” concoction and you had to drink it out of a baby bottle. First person to do so wins. The drink’s main ingredient was brine, plain and simple dill “pickle juice”. For me, it canceled out the other flavors and I was a champ. I mention this because throughout the years, I have still enjoyed the occasional glass of brine. One day, I was flat out CRAVING it but I had acid tearing up my throat. Well, cravings do NOT tend to go away on their own. No, they have to be satisfied somehow. One sip. That’s all it took. ONE, and the acid fizzled away and my throat felt SO much better. I told my mom and she was astonished. I did manage to talk her into eating a pickle the next time she had heartburn, though. Works like a charm.

2. Janet
    Wyoming

I’ve dealt with chronic (near constant) heartburn or acid indigestion for more than 10 years. It started when I was about 5 months along with my 10 year old daughter. I have tried antacids and changing diet, resting after meals, and fasting dinner, all to no avail. Then last week I tried dill pickle juice, and felt instant, real relief! First a tablespoon, then another about an hour later. Have also used it a couple more times in the past week, in a preventative (paranoid?) sense. I have not felt this good in 10 years. It is amazing to be able to bend over without getting incredibly sick, and experiencing burning pain. Thank you all!

3. BAM
    Grove City, OH

Pickle juice… who’d a thought! I tried this after hearing that it helped someone else with similar acid reflux, hiatal hernia issues. One night not long after hearing about pickle juice, I woke up feeling as though I was going to get sick, which is a common symptom for me, so I went to the fridge for pickle juice to see if it would work. I poured a couple teaspoons in a medicine cup and as soon as I begin drinking, I felt cool and soothing relief as it ran down my esophagus. Pickle juice is truly amazing!

I stopped taking my acid reflux medicine several weeks ago, but I’ve occasionally used pickle juice to ease my symptoms and it really does work. I’ve also experienced another change in my symptoms since stopping the Rx. I finally have formed stool without all that yucky mucous. Something I haven’t had for years.

4. Anonymous ma
    Australia

Hi,

I have had really bad reflux at night for a few years. Every time I have dairy there is a problem, so I take the tablets again.

The only thing that will stop the burning is pickle vinegar. I have tried everything, but this is the only thing works. I get so bad that I cough non stop and have an asthma attack every time.

The last time I had this problem, I saw a new Doctor and took a breath test called the Helicobacter pylori test. I had never heard of this test before. When the test came back, it was positive. This bacteria can cause serious problems, even cancer. To fix the problem I have been given a triple dose of antibiotics for 1 week, then I will take another test in 6-8 weeks. If it is still there, I’ll have to take another dose of different antibiotics for 1 week. From what I have read on the internet, millions people in the world have this problem which can be caused by this bad bacteria. Everyone out there if you have a problem, take the test, if you don’t have it do what you always do and try vinegar. Good luck!!

5. Shae G.

I have been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. Hospitalized due to bile spilling out of my mouth, severe pain, lump in throat, you name it. Thats not even the worst part. I am deathly allergic to all stomach medications. Full on anaphylactic shock. I almost died when I was 22 because of Prevacid. They tried me on different class of medications in the hospital. Allergic. Tums? I get hives. Rolaids. Don’t work. The other day I was craving pickles, so badly that I was almost in tears. Then I thought, this would be the worst thing for me to eat. But I NEEDED one. So I ate it and it was like heaven opened up and angels started to sing!!! No more lump in my throat and the pit of acid inside of my body went away. It works for a couple of hours bit I don’t mind. I love pickles. I am going to try the tbsp of Apple cider vinegar soon though. My boyfriend won’t even hug me because of the pickle smell.

6. Shae G.

I have been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. Hospitalized due to bile spilling out of my mouth, severe pain, lump in throat, you name it. Thats not even the worst part. I am deathly allergic to all stomach medications. Full on anaphylactic shock. I almost died when I was 22 because of Prevacid. They tried me on different class of medications in the hospital. Allergic. Tums? I get hives. Rolaids. Don’t work. The other day I was craving pickles, so badly that I was almost in tears. Then I thought, this would be the worst thing for me to eat. But I NEEDED one. So I ate it and it was like heaven opened up and angels started to sing!!! No more lump in my throat and the pit of acid inside of my body went away. It works for a couple of hours but I don’t mind. I love pickles. I am going to try the tbsp of Apple cider vinegar soon though. My boyfriend won’t even hug me because of the pickle smell.

7. Rainbow

hello!!! if you get this I would love to hear more of your GAPS diet experience! ! I want to begin this way of eating for myself…but I’m too exhausted to even try to make the ferments and bone broth etc :(… would love some advice! !

8. Jenn

I’ve had heartburn problems for years. It felt like a sword going from my chest to my back or from back to chest- either way, very painful. I’d been taking Donatol for years- it is very expensive and (for me) not a great alternative to take every day.
    My mom told me she had read that a teaspoon or two of pickle juice may help. I’ve never been a “home remedy” person, but tried it. Amazing!!!! It worked wonderfully about 99% of the time. After all the years of prescriptions and over the counter meds- I was amazed and thrilled at how well the pickle juice worked. I don’t know what other people have used, but for me the Kosher Dill type worked so well.
    I take other meds for other health problems, so I am grateful to find a natural remedy for heartburn- I really didn’t want to start another prescription. I wish all you other heartburn sufferers the best! Good luck and God bless :)