Q. My niece has Crohn’s disease and has suffered from unremitting diarrhea for months. She started eating homemade macaroon cookies (1 per day, 12.5 grams of dried coconut per macaroon).
As a result, she had a dramatic improvement in her diarrhea in less than a week and actually had to reduce the “dose” to one macaroon every other day. I love double-blind, placebo-controlled studies, but in this case there was no reason not to try one cookie a day.

A. We too love double-blind studies, but we agree that your niece figured out a way to determine that coconut macaroons help her. We’re impressed with the precision of the dose.
Ever since we first learned from Donald Agar about the beneficial effects of coconut macaroons on diarrhea associated with Crohn’s, we have been collecting messages from others. Most people who suffer from this inflammatory bowel condition report that they get good results with two or three cookies a day. The homemade macaroons may be more potent. Readers can find a recipe for homemade macaroon cookies in our book, Recipes and Remedies from The People’s Pharmacy.

1. K.J.G.

I am male aged 75 and diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis in March 2007. Had a bad year until January 2008 when I learned that dessicated coconut on cereal with cold milk was useful. I had 2 teaspoons each morning and after 10 days the change was dramatic. Urgency became history and visits reduced greatly over time. Have followed this same pattern every morning and still feeling fine. Have recommended this to numerous people and they have all experienced great benefit.

2. DMK

The SCD diet does not cure Crohns, but it keeps the microbial overgrowth the leads to inflammation under control. As I understand it, foods pass through the gut quickly, thus does not support the microbes that can lead to inflammation. So the key is to keep religiously to foods allowed by the diet. My husband used to occasionally “cheat” by eating out with illegal foods every once in a great while. He would get a bit “gassy” afterwards but nothing major. However, he stopped even doing this several years ago because he started to always vomit afterwards.
    Some people on the SCD diet say they have been able to re-introduce “regular” foods, but that has not been the case with my husband. It’s really quite simple with him, if he wants to feel good, he sticks religiously to the diet. The main things I make special for the SCD diet include yogurt, bread, and sweets (cakes, cookies). We use a lot of almond flour.
    We’ve heard that the SCD diet does not work for everyone, but given the other options available, it’s worth a try.

3. SS

Hello,
    My son has recently been diagnosed with crohn’s colitis. We are completely lost with all the testing and medicines. We are also looking into SCD diet for him. You said it doesn’t cure crohns but keeps it in check. Has he ever tried adding normal foods like potatoes. I am interested in hearing his take on this…

4. DMK

Good luck! I’m glad you did some research, much like my husband did, before going on meds. Kudos to your doctor, also, for agreeing with your strategy.

5. Kelly

My daughter has full blown Crohn’s and at 50yo, I found out I have a mild case of it. The doctors want to put me on steroids and medication but I do not have the hard line symptoms that Crohns patients do. In fact, if I would not have seen the colonoscopy pics, I would have called the doctor a liar! However, due to my daughters condition, I researched the benefits of coconut and it is quite an exciting food for healing. Dr. Oz has a video clip about coconut and numerous ailments that it helps. I told the doctor that I am going to do the coconut for awhile first before I will submit to any drugs and he is willing to allow me to give it a shot. I buy the canned coconut milk found in the asian food section of any grocery store. It is creamy, like lard, at the top of the can and the milk sits in the bottom part. I scoop it out and whip it together. I add it to my breakfast drink, my tea and sometimes I just eat a spoonful because it tastes so good. I am feeling great and hopefully, the next time I go in, they will tell me, “forget the medications, you’re fine!”.

6. Kelly

My daughter has full blown Crohn’s and at 50 years of age, I found out I have a mild case of it too. The doctors want to put me on steroids and medication but I do not have the hard line symptoms that Crohns patients do. In fact, if I would not have seen the colonoscopy pics, I would have called the doctor a liar!

7. cb

What happens if you are allergic to coconut? Do you have any other natural suggestions? Thanks

8. Bettye G.

I just read your column on diarrhea and coconut macaroons aiding in the problem.
    You then tell your recipe is in a book you have to buy. I think you should print the recipe on line to aide people without access to the book. Disappointing to me since I want to try this for my husband who is having problems with diarrhea.

9. DMK

My husband has had Crohn’s disease since he was 17- he’s now 48. Fourteen years ago, just before our first child was born, he was in the hospital with a bad flare and very close to surgery. As he was recovering, the doctors wanted to put him on lifetime steroid meds. He didn’t want to go that route and did some research. He discovered the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD), which would change his life forever.
    His “gas production” significantly decreased within a day or two on the diet. He’s been med free and free of flares since- 14 years! The diet is very demanding- you essentially cut out all grains, even foods like soy and rice, and all forms of sugar except honey. I use a lot of almond flour for cooking. And yes, he eats a lot of coconut through macaroons and other baked goods I make.
    For my husband, the diet is not a cure for Crohn’s, but keeps it in check. The SCD diet is also useful for other GI diseases (Inflammatory Bowl, for example).

10. wmorse

I always enjoy reading about the positive contribution that coconut makes in controlling irritable bowel syndrome. Coconut controls my son’s ulcerative colitis. I sprinkle roughly one tablespoon of coconut flakes on his yogurt in the morning and give him an individual Mounds bar for lunch. Has worked for a few years now. We started coconut therapy after hearing your program with Donald Agar. Thanks you so much.