Q. I am amazed at all the uses for milk of magnesia that I have read about in your newspaper column. I know people use it as a deodorant.
I have eczema. When I read your article on how it helps poison ivy, I decided to give it a try on my eczema. It works well to control the itching and also dries the outbreaks up with daily use.

A. Like you, we have been surprised by the many uses people have found for milk of magnesia applied to the skin. They include acne, body odor, poison ivy, rosacea and seborrheic dermatitis. You are the first to report success applying milk of magnesia to eczema.

1. KS

For the past month, I’ve been suffering with unbearable itching, scratching, itching, and on and on cycle… My thighs are sore, raw red, and in so much pain. I don’t remember where I read about milk of magnesia, but since I already use it as a deodorant (works great!)… I decided to apply it to my aching thighs. I felt IMMEDIATE relief. Still can’t believe it. Now that the milk has dried up on my skin, I’ve placed a cold pack to help draw out heat. Finally, something seems to be working! Yay!

2. kpw

Milk of Magnesia is FANTASTIC for rosacea, and it does a pretty good job on eczema. I use a cotton pad and dab it on affected areas morning and night. Let it dry, then apply whatever lotion or moisturizer you normally use. The moisturizer/lotion will make the white residue from the MoM disappear. Also, people with rosacea should not use foaming cleansers or toners with alcohol. They are too harsh chemically. Use cream cleansers instead. (I don’t use toners at all.)

3. Karin M.

How do you use Milk of Magnesia for Rosacea? I am on antibiotics for over 25 years and like to stop using.

4. MB

worth a try for rosacea!

5. ESS

I have been diagnosed with Morphea (a rare skin disease) Do you have any home remedies for it? Thanks.

6. GP

Regarding the use of Milk of Magnesium for skin problems I am wondering if your roll on deodorant could be used as the liquid is messy and leaves one’s face white.
    Thanks, Glenda

7. Jo

My mother, born in 1914, used MOM on her kids’ diaper rash, poison ivy, prickly heat, boils, mosquito bites and acne. It was soothing, while drying out whatever skin malady. In most cases, it was a cure. In others it at least helped or did no harm.

8. APS

Will Milk of Magnesia help with Nummular dermatitis?

9. Tony D

I’m going to give it a try on my psoriasis. I’ve tried everything else!