Q. I am 68 years old and have a lot of trouble with gas. You suggested using fennel seed tea.
I have had success with that, but fennel tastes a lot like licorice. I have heard that licorice is not good for your health. Does fennel create the same problems?

A. The ingredient in licorice that can raise blood pressure is a sweet-tasting compound called glycyrrhizin. But the licorice-like flavor shared by anise, fennel and licorice is created by a natural compound called anethole, which does not affect blood pressure. In fact, anethole, along with a number of other spice-derived nutraceuticals, shows promise as an anti-inflammatory compound (Nutrition and Cancer, online Dec. 9, 2011).

1. Mafalda

I also have trouble with gas, as I suffer from ulcerative colitis and fennel tea has helped me cope with many symptoms, namely gas.
    You should review your diet because there are many foods that cause gas and increase your liquid intake. Drink plenty of water and include tea in your life. Fennel is a good option, just like Licorice tea. Licorice is quite healthy as well. It’s very useful to treat digestive disorders, such as heartburn, nausea, vomiting, flatulence or diarrhea. Just don’t overdo it, as it has some side effects.

2. Margaret

When I go to an Indian restaurant, they sometimes offer fennel seeds at the cash register, for use after the meal. I am told that one should just chew on them for better digestion. It seems like a reasonable idea and I hope it is safe, and good for acid reflux.

3. Liz

Ginger Tea and Peppermint Tea also works wonders for gas. Drink 20 minutes before or after a meal.

4. GM

I buy fennel tea in tea bags in the organic food department of the local grocery store. I also order it online at sites that sell health products and vitamins (at a cheaper price if bought in bulk). I am told that fennel tea is good for fibromyalgia and IBS as well as stomach problems. I drink two cups in the morning and enjoy the taste as well as the benefits.

5. GD

This sounds like a good remedy, but where can you buy “Fennel Seed Tea”? TY
    People’s Pharmacy response: You can make it with fennel seeds from the supermarket.

6. MGL

What is the recipe for fennel seed tea? What other natural teas or herbs are beneficial for gas? Are there any to combat acid reflex?
    People’s Pharmacy response: 1/2 to 1 teaspoon fennel seeds steeped for 5 minutes or so in a cup of hot water. Remove seeds, sweeten if desired to taste.

7. AS

I guess you would drink the Fennel Seed tea right before you ate a gassy meal?