Q. I have been seeing a dermatologist for years for my rosacea. Nothing really helps much, and many things irritate my skin.
I saw my neurologist for headaches, and he asked what I was doing for my face. I told him I’d tried everything, but was currently using Finacea. He suggested using Selsun Blue dandruff shampoo on my face, for about five minutes, while taking a shower.
It took three days before I could see a difference, but for the first time in eight years, the redness is finally going away! The shampoo dries my skin, so I moisturize after the shower. My face looks better than it ever has.

A. Rosacea causes redness of the cheeks, nose and forehead. Thanks for sharing your story. Others have reported that topical application of Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) or milk of magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) can also be helpful for this skin condition.

1. S.R.

I’m suffering with Rosecea from last one year. I recently went to my dr. and she prescribed me Oracea. I read all these reviews and decided to try Selson Blue lotion. I bought Selson Blue with Botanical and applied it on my face using my fingers, kept it on for 5 minutes and washed my face with cold water. My face got very dry so I used Vaseline lotion. I’ll keep you posted. There wasn’t any itch after. I still need some time to see if redness goes away. Could anybody please suggest if it’s ok to use Vaseline after.
    Thanks!

2. gr

I have read about the Selson blue in several articles and finally bought it today. I was told the original formula is the one to use with 1% selenium sulfide. I would like to know how I can just get the selenium sulfide, which is the key to the cure for rosacea, and mix it with my own lotion with out the fragrance and all the other bad stuff (sodium methyl something or other and the several others that are on the list of harmful ingredients.)
    Never tried MOM. Have tried metrogel and rosacream (I think) and saw no results. Recently went to dermatologist and all she wanted to do was put me on Oracea, or doxycycline, for the rest of my life. NO Way! She also gave me AVAR-e which is sodium sulaceamide and sulfur. It sounds similar to Selson blue ingredients, but it actually made my rosacea more pronounced.
    I welcome any further solutions. One other thing I read was that the same topical for scabbies, permethrin Cream is supposed to work too. Maybe that is a fungal thing.
    All I know is that the dermatologist really offered very little information.

3. kenju

I have tried it, but it dried my skin so badly that I stopped. I will try again, and make sure I moisturize afterward.

4. Arian

I’ve been using Selsun Blue for a month for my Rosacea and it really works. I’m amazed. I was conscious of my complexion. It leaves my face dry, and tight, and after I apply moisturizer.
    There still are some faint red papules, that are going away slowly. The best part is that my skin is looking younger, I’m not a red tomato. I had tried so many treatments, and I have to thank the web and reading others testimonials. This is my first time to share anything public, but Selsun Blue has helped me be more confident.
    I was very conservative my first month. It does cause a tingly itch sedation after use, like 15 minutes later. I used it every other day and leave it on for 2-5 minutes and wash with warm water. I think now that I know the product I will try to use it everyday for 5 minutes at a time, maybe twice a day, and see if that really takes away the last of the shrinking papules. I’ll keep you posted.

5. Allan

Im 29yrs old and this is the first time this has ever happen to me in my life, i have fair skin etc and one morning i woke up looking like a badly painted clown lol and did research about adult acne/rosacea and found out i have rosacea, i began using prosacea a gel/cream that contains sulfur and the proper ingredients for the redness/rash etc which btw way its very cheap and actually works just fine ,
    but i must admit im looking for instant results in a week or so and ( Selsun Blue ) is freaking amazing btw , must get the fragrance free brand menthol/ sulfur 1% ingredients that kill and reduce the bacteria fast, after once skin is completely dry in 5-10 min add a non-fragrance moisturizer with aloe vera/cucumber extract to feed your face/skin vitamins ( two thin layers should be applied if skin dries fast ) twice a day is fine , also take vitamins to help the body react faster to treatment, i was lacking a little in vitamin D,E,b12 ETC

6. Mags

I have mild moderate rosacea. Not much in the way of breakouts, but flaming red flares. I just started using Selsun Blue sensitive scalp formula and after two washes I’ve already noticed a HUGE reduction in inflammation: as in NO REDNESS. I use it in the shower as a face wash and then rinse. Use my usual mild moisturizer. Goodbye metrogel!

7. jr

please try sulfur soap, it helps a lot, I do not have to put shampoo on my face now…

8. cf

I had been prescribed sulfacetamide for Rosacea, but was interested in something I could get over the counter….I tried Selsun Blue because it contained sulfur and it worked really well – initially. I had to stop using it, because I can’t find the original, plain formula anymore, they all seem to contain aloe or menthol or conditioners that irritate my skin. I’m only slightly annoyed though – smelling like sulfur all the time wasn’t ideal.

9. Jason

It would be nice if you they used no fragrance on their product for people with rosacea. But it does work better than metro gel. The difference is the hugE savings. I put baking soda in a tight plastic container and expose the selsun blue bottle unopened for a few days. Smell goes away somewhat.

10. shirley

I have tried the Selson Blue for my rosacea and have found that it is clearing up my skin. I have less redness and the purple veins around my nose are becoming less noticeable.

11. carolyn

I am no expert, but I know that the sulfer in selsun blue is what deals with the fungus when you have sabbacious dermatitis. The fungus lives on the oils on your face and cause redness as a result cause redness. It is the same fungus as what causes dandruff, so many people put it on their face while shampooing. The s. dermatitis has nothing to do with rosacea, but many rosacea sufferers also have the dermatitis, so the selsun blue helps lessen the redness by cutting down on the fungus or yeast on the skin.

12. jcat

Yesterday while I was at my hair salon, an elder gentlemen told me about using Selsun blue to get rid of facial redness. So I googled it today – and I see that this is for redness caused by rosacea….I don’t think I officially have rosacea, just red from from too many years of sun damage, and spicy foods, alcohol, LIFE :) Can anyone tell me if selsun blue might work on redness even though not officially diagnosed as rosacea? I guess it wouldn’t hurt to try it anyway right? Thank you.

13. Frank

I also have rosacea and have a shelf full of products including ProActiv. Checking
    out Selsun Blue showed different active ingredients, selenium, zinc, sulfur and one
    other. So which one works for rosacea? Anybody???

14. Carolyn

I have an Irish/English background (typical for skin problems like this) and have had rosacea for over a decade. It is mostly redness and heat upon waking up, with stress, without stress, or whenever! The dermatologist said I also had mild sebbhoratic dermatitis – I read about the selsun blue and tried it yesterday (just the regular type with 1% sulfur) and it felt cool and nice for the 5 minutes I left it on.
    My cheeks were actually less red after less red this morning after waking up… I will continue to try it!! I never would have thought there could be a connection between oil and the redness – I have mostly dry skin and very dry hair (?!) …thanks for anyone who mentioned selsun blue!

15. Desiree

I have rosacea and have been having a hard time with it. Lately it has been flaring up very badly. So thanks for all the tips I will try each and every one to see which one will work for me. I will let you know.

16. SK

From the recommendations published before in People’s Pharmacy, for many months now, I have used MOM as a deodorant and for skin problems. I put a thick coat on my face at night, let dry, then go to bed. It helps dry the oily skin, and soothes the redness of my mild rosacea.
    I’m forever grateful to Joe and Terry for their column and website.

17. sdw

My rosacea went away when I discovered I have a wheat allergy and quit eating it.

18. TCT

You can use Milk of Magnesia in the morning or evening. You need just a thin layer, which dries clear. I apply it in the morning with a cotton ball and smooth it out so it’s clear. After it dries, I apply moisturizer and then makeup. Since MoM has a slight antiperspirant effect, an advantage of using it in the morning is makeup stays on better, with less sweating.

19. dp

Dear Joe and terry, I have been waiting to write this about Rosacea until I had tried it several, successful times. I too have used Finacea, the newest panacea for Rosacea. It works but I thought, this is an acid, and very expensive, maybe aspirin, an acidic anti-inflammatory will work. I crushed a325 mg. aspirin, added a few drops of filtered water, made a paste and applied it to any tiny, rosacea blisters and redness, mostly on my nose.
    I went to bed with the paste. In the morning, the blisters were gone and most of the redness. Be careful not to get it in one’s nose so as not to inhale the tiny grains of ASA. Sometimes it takes two days. I have tried MOM. It really didn’t work for me. I know that all of us have different responses. One size in treatments does not fit all of our particular chemistry makeup. Hope Aspirin will help some folks out there as it has me.

20. DB

There are different formulas for Selsun Blue with different active ingredients. Which one do we get? Also, I tried the milk of magnesia fir several weeks. I washed my face, then applied the MOM and let it sit a few minutes before washing it off. It really helped with my acne but actually inflamed my rosacea so I stopped using it. My skin is very sensitive though. I will still use it if I get an acne flare up but only for a few days.

21. Edna B.

I used Metrogel for my rosacea for a few years and my co-payments kept going up. Then a friend told me about Selsun Blue. I have been using it for about 4 years and it is wonderful…..also much cheaper.

22. LSG

I’m curious about the Milk of Magnesia option but am not sure how to use it. Do you apply it at night and leave it on while you sleep? Wash with it like soap and then rinse? Thanks for any helpful advice.

23. Irene

My husband has Psoriasis and the dermatologist told him to try using T-Gel– a shampoo –directly on the scaly patches. Let it remain on overnight or longer. It helps and is safer than steroids usually prescribed.

24. Karen

I have more of a problem with the rosacea related acne. Wonder if this or the other suggestions help with that?

25. JDR

If you haven’t done it recently, it might be beneficial to have your vitamin D level checked. Before monitoring my D level, I developed rosacea for years in the late winter and early spring. My skin in general is now in much better condition after addressing a vitamin D deficiency.

26. Paul43

I got to try this as I suffer from Rosacea.