Q. Years ago my daughter had eight plantar warts on the bottoms of her feet. She could hardly walk and I tried everything to no avail.
A friend of mine suggested squeezing fresh lemon juice on them three or four times a day. We had nothing to lose so we tried it. Those warts turned black and fell off so fast she was completely healed within four weeks. I hope this will help others.

A. Thanks for the fascinating suggestion. Here’s another story: “We dealt with plantar warts in every way possible–surgery and freezing–plus the terrible pain that goes along with these treatments.
“My husband’s golf partner gave us the best information that I had ever heard: IODINE. I painted my grandson’s plantar wart with iodine morning and night for six weeks. It went away, no pain, just patience. The cost was less than $2.00 compared to hundreds I spent on my other children.”

Then there is this:
“When I had a plantar wart that the Podiatrist couldn’t remove with liquid nitrogen, (two treatments), my sister suggested I try essential oil of oregano covered with duct tape. I did that for 2 weeks and the wart went away so successfully there is not even a place on my metatarsal that shows where it was! And painlessly (unlike freezing the wart with liquid nitrogen, which is very painful).”
And here’s a remedy for regular warts that goes back a very long time:
“When I was a Tenderfoot in the Boy Scouts (about 1948), we had to hold hands for the opening or closing ceremony every week. I had a big, fuzzy looking wart at the juncture of my ring and little finger and the other boys hated to hold hands with me. Somewhere, my mother heard that castor oil would remove warts.
“I was VERY motivated and applied it possibly 4 or 5 times a day (I kept the little bottle of castor oil in my pocket). After just a few weeks, as I applied the castor oil one day, the wart just “rolled” out of its socket. The little socket it left gradually completely healed so I had normal skin there. I can still see a little scar where it was.
I have occasionally wondered if the oil or the toxic effects of the castor killed the virus.”

We have been collecting wart remedies for over 35 years. In The People’s Pharmacy (published originally in 1976) we suggested soaking the warts in a salt water solution (30%) or taking desiccated liver tablets orally. Since then we have collected dozens of other remedies that people insist are sure-fire cures. Nothing works for everyone, but many visitors to this website insist that Tagamet (cimetidine) taken orally can cure recalcitrant warts. Others maintain that vinegar soaks will do the job.
If you love home remedies as much as we do you will want to know that we have collected many of our favorite wart remedies in our new book from National Geographic, The People’s Pharmacy Quick & Handy Home Remedies. In addition to wart remedies we have something for almost anything that ails you:
Allergies
Nerve pain
Psoriasis
Raynaud’s disease
Sinusitis
Vaginal dryness
Wound care

You can take advantage of our special holiday offer: Every copy of Quick & Handy you order you get a FREE copy of Recipes & Remedies from The People’s Pharmacy with fabulous meal plans and recipes from the country’s leading health experts.
Let food be your medicine!

1. Mary

I keep hear mixed results with ACV and duct tape…Anyone else had success with ACV?

2. JMN

I tried most everything (banana, epsom salts, vinegar, duct table, potato, and who knows what else. This is what finally worked. I would apply this mix on my foot then put a bandage on while I slept. In the AM, I’d remove the bandage and put on duct tape (this kept it from spreading and may or may not have helped remove layers as they died). In about 3 weeks the pain was about half gone. As I kept with it, they completely healed up with no remaining pain (and I was in a lot of pain).
    To 1 teaspoon of Jojoba add about 10 drops Cinnamon leaf essential oil (go to a health food store or buy online), 15 drops lemon essential oil, and 10 drops tea tree essential oil. I also added 5 or so drops of essential frankincense and 5 or so of essential bergamot oil too. Blend well, then apply to wart and cover with a Band-Aid.
    Blend together in an amber bottle. Then apply. The suggestion is ONE drop once a day, but I did four or five drops at least at night. In the AM, if my foot was too oily to do duct tape, I’d mix hydrogen peroxide with baking soda and vinegar and rub that in and then rinse and wipe dry…then do duct tape.
    This stuff on a cotton swab seems to be helping my son’s warts go away as well (not plantars), but this did not work for my husband.
    Coincidentally, I had hypnosis for other reasons about the same time, but I do think it was the mixture (though some swear hypnosis healed their warts).

3. Warthell

what worked best for my plantar wart…..
    target salicylic acid and clear finger nail polish and a scraping blade
    EVERYDAY….
    I removed any skin surrounding the wart with scraping blade (do not drawn blood) gently scrape the area do not dig… also you will need a pack of these blades it is best to use a new one at least every other day if not everyday
    Then I add the salicylic acid to the area let that dry for about 5-10 mins
    Then apply a clear coat of nail polish let that dry 5-10 min and I am done until the next day
    repeat process everyday until it is gone.
    My wart was the size of a quarter and pretty deep, I tried the duck tape, and acid it appeared to be working but also seem to take for ever, acid and nail polish worked best for me!
    I hope this help someone

4. Jenny

Lemon juice is super effective for warts. My daughter had warts on her hand and elbow. She dabbed them 3-4 times a day with a lemon slice and the warts fell off within a few days.

5. wart treatments...

I received a recommendation from this site to use nail polish to cover a wart. I have had a wart on my hand for a long time. It feels like it is embedded deeply. I’ve used nail polish that seems to keep air away from the wart. After about 6 months I am still putting a drop on a very small spot, that still feels alive. It is much, much smaller. It seems to me that anything that keeps the air away from a wart (duct tape, oil, etc.) may help to get rid of them.
    My added advice is to do something as soon as possible. If you let it go for a long time it will be very deep and take longer to get rid of it. Encouragement to all…

6. Betty France

I was about 8 and had a WART on the back of my hand. I was so embarrassed. Our elderly neighbor saw it and said he’d like to buy it. He pushed a nickel on my and said he was buying it. And know what! I don’t know which day it left, but one day a short time later it was just gone. Totally gone! Like I never had a wart at all. Does ‘buying’ a wart work? Of course not.