Q. I used Preparation H for some hemorrhoid irritation in the morning before I saw my doctor for a normal checkup. I almost broke the blood pressure machine. They measured my blood pressure three times because it was so high.
I was trying to think what I might have done to account for this. Then I read the label on Preparation H and put 2 and 2 together.
I wonder how many people have landed in the emergency room because they couldn’t handle this stuff. It seems to me the warning should be clearer.

A. The label on Preparation H Ointment advises consumers to “ask a doctor before use if you have heart disease, high blood pressure, thyroid disease, diabetes or difficulty in urination due to enlargement of the prostate gland.”
People may not realize that medication inserted into the rectum is likely to be absorbed into the blood stream and circulate throughout the body. Because Preparation H contains a vasoconstrictor called phenylephrine, it may raise blood pressure in susceptible people. You may also have experienced white coat hypertension brought on by stress in the doctor’s office.

1. Ricky
    Botswana

I have been suffering from hemorrhoids for 3 months now. The pain has been unbearable and it is still. I have tried annusol suppositories and they are not helping, they just mess you up. I have sat on bath salt water, just a bit of relief. I was advised to control my diet by eating roughage for loose stool and my stomach refuses to respond- I guess it absorbs all the liquids and hard stool is the result. I have tried blended potato and even apple cider vinegar and all I get is well cleaned bum. I do have high blood pressure and I am on medication XL 30 and HCT. My Bp has been sky rocketing of late and at the same time the piles becoming more painful. I appreciate the comments and still need advice.

2. RJ

I found my blood pressure started to rise to high blood pressure readings as my hemorrhoids got worse, and I am now on medication for it. I have been using Prep H four times a day–no wonder my BP readings have been spiking! Thanks for the suggestion of witch hazel, I will try that.

3. cella

how long did it take for your bp to go down? I used prep-h last night and tonight my bp is sky high. I am on bp med and am 85 years old. scared the bi-jeepers out of me-will not use that again-guess witch hazel is the answer.

4. Sarah

I had no idea that these remedies could cause a rise in blood pressure.
    High blood pressure is the “silent killer” and is becoming a huge epidemic among the united states and European countries. I try to keep my salt intake low and live a stress free life, however other factors may influence high blood pressure, i.e. hemorrhoid remedies…
    Fascinating… I’ll have to contact my home health care provider, and follow up with them on my medications.
    Thanks for sharing!

5. Lavonne

I struggled with using Prep H & found that Witch Hazel on a tissue is very effective. Use it several times & you will be surprised how effective it is.

6. Gerry Anne M.

High blood pressure readings may be caused by other situations. Yesterday I had a reading (after 3 attempts) of 168/70 at a new Kaiser office. Today, I returned to my former Kaiser location and got 144/79. Within a half-hour I returned to the newer location and got more high readings, and it was concluded that the new equipment needed to be re-calibrated. These checks should have been done before accepting patients.

7. LS

A hot sitz bath 3-4 times a day (or more) can do wonders to help hemorrhoids. Having a sitz bathtub that can be purchased inexpensively at a pharmacy makes it very convenient. Do this faithfully no matter what other measures you are taking and it will provide much needed relief.

8. big John

Try resveratrol. I’ve seen where this is good for hemorrhoids. After hearing this I tried resveratrol with no apparent success. One day while watching a health show on tv I saw where if you have varicose veins or hemorrhoids you should boost the dosage up to 500MG. Within five weeks of the dosage increase THEY WERE GONE. That was a year ago and I haven’t had a symptom since.