Q. You recently wrote that sea salt has no iodine, but there are brands on the market that are iodized. I use Hain Iodized Sea Salt and I have also seen Morton Iodized Sea Salt. I trust this is a better choice than regular salt.
A. Thank you for alerting us to these brands of iodized sea salt. When you use one of them you don’t have to worry about too little iodine in the diet causing goiter. Most sea salt has very little iodine, raising the concern about thyroid health and goiter.

1. cpmt

I am not an expert but I know everyone needs salt, better natural collected salt like gray or pink salts that have iodine and other minerals (this is what I read in several health magazine articles and some books.) But processed foods have a lot more than necessary, the people eating processed foods, should be careful the amount of salt taken.

2. raggmopp

After doing some study I have found some gray salts that naturally contain iodine, as well as other minerals. It is the only salt I am now using. I use no processed products and make my own bread and baked goods and cook all my food myself, so I get very little salt from that added by others.
    Whether or not this is a sufficient amount of iodine I don’t know. Some articles state that we should avoid salt and others say there are dangers in too little salt, but they never go into the type of salt they’re writing about or whether it’s the salt or the iodine that’s the problem or the potential benefit.

3. Jean L.

My situation is similar to Grace (see her comment on Nov 2, 2011 ). I discovered that I did not need to take thyroid hormone and all was well until about two months ago when my hair started getting very, very thin. I was getting very alarmed. Then I read that sometimes hair loss can be due to iron deficiency. I had some other symptoms of iron deficiency so I decided to take iron tablets for iron deficiency. Well, thank goodness, within about three weeks my hair stopped getting thinner, and within about 5 weeks my hair started getting noticeably thicker. Just about back to normal now (about 7 weeks after starting the iron supplements.)

4. Grace

Thank you for posting this information about the necessity of using iodized Sea Salt. I definitely wasn’t aware that there was any Iodized sea salt at all. Your printed information above has definitely peaked my attention.
    Considering I’ve always had an extremely healthy head of hair, I’ve been gradually loosing hair like crazy on a daily basis. Year’s ago, I used to take synthroid prescribed by my primary physician. I was told that my thyroid was sluggish & in dire need of the synthroid.
    After I changed family physician’s, my new doctor wouldn’t prescribe the synthroid for me at all. He informed me that my thyroid was normal. I’ve recently changed primary physician’s again, & he also advised me that my thyroid was normal after taking a blood test. Due to the lack of synthroid, I’ve been constantly gaining weight in addition to losing my hair on a constant daily basis. Kindly advise!

5. Deb

I have been on synthroid for many years. Does it matter what kind of salt I use (which is very little added to any foods)?

6. raggmopp

I quit using regular iodized salt, as it contains dextrose (sugar) and potassium iodide and I’m on a sugar-free diet and the beta blocker blood pressure medicines both my husband and I take lists potassium iodide as an element that interacts with it.
    Yes, you can purchase iodized sea salt, but any I’ve found also add those two ingredients. Right now I’m using just plain sea salt, but it is not iodized. I would love to find an iodized salt that is just salt.

7. Suzanne

To continue the discussion on good sources of iodine — dulse (Palmaria palmata) is a “seaweed” traditionally eaten in Ireland, Iceland, the North Atlantic coast, and beyond, for hundreds of years (maybe more). Dulse contains iodine and other trace elements we need in our diet.
    I get dried, flaked dulse at my local grocery and sprinkle it on salads, vegetables. It has a nice, tangy, a bit salty taste that I have grown to enjoy. You might want to investigate the dietary use of dulse (and other seaweeds) for health. I’ve read that it is also eaten in Japan — in fact, that’s why I started buying it: a study reported a year or so ago about women in Japan who ate dulse having a lower risk of breast cancer. Can’t find that study info. now but you may be able to. Also, the dulse article on Wikipedia seems to have good university and other sources in its reference list.

8. Thyroid and goiter v. high blood pressure and stroke...

How do you balance the need to control all of this, when so much salt is added to our diets already, not to mention all the sodium that is naturally occurring in foods…

9. cpmt

I am not sure but I think Himalayan and Irish or French gray salts have minerals and iodine?. possible ??