Q. My daughter exercises almost every day. She’s very athletic and she takes great care with her appearance and her hygiene, showering after every workout and every evening as well.
Unfortunately, her feet smell. Her brother teases her mercilessly if she takes her shoes off to watch TV. I don’t want to meddle, but I feel bad for her. Is there any home remedy that would help control the foot odor?
A. Lots of folks are plagued with smelly feet. Over the years we have accumulated lots of home remedies including:
* dust feet and shoes with baking soda before putting on socks
* soak smelly feet in a warm Epsom salt solution several nights in a row
* soak feet in baking soda solution 30 minutes a night for a month
* use an antiperspirant on the feet
* steep five tea bags five minutes in a quart of boiling water, cool, then soak feet 30 minutes
* wear shoes of leather, not synthetics
* spray feet and shoes with rubbing alcohol
* ask the pharmacist to make a foot powder of equal parts fluffy tannic acid, talc and bentonite.
We have many other suggestions in our free Guide to Smelly Feet. You can download this Guide here.