Q. I’m an avid reader of your column but I am skeptical about some of the suggested remedies such as a bar of soap for leg cramps. I see no rhyme or reason for it.
One article intrigued me, though: using blackstrap molasses for hemorrhoids. The current popular treatment didn’t work for me, especially since they took out the shark liver oil. Other products I’ve tried gave no more than temporary relief.
I began taking one tablespoon of blackstrap molasses daily two months ago. I have no more pain or itching! This is just short of a miracle.

A. You are by no means the only reader to find that swallowing a spoonful of blackstrap (unsulphured) molasses daily can banish hemorrhoids. We wish we knew why. This would not be good for anyone with diabetes because molasses is high in sugar.

1. AJ

I read your article in the Houston Chronicle about taking 1 tablespoon of Blackstrap Unsulphured Molasses for Hemorrhoids about 30 days ago. I was seeing a Doctor and was using Prep H wipes, Suppositories and the Maximum strength cream just to get by so I figured what the heck and went to the Whole Foods store and bought a bottle.
    In less than 30 days, WOW, Hallelujah !!! All evidence of Hemorrhoids (pain, discomfort, bleeding, itching have gone). Now I am not saying that this will work for everyone but it sure as heck worked for me.
    I am scheduled for a proctosigmoidoscopy within 2 weeks to check and I will try and get back here to let everyone know the results.

2. RKM

Will sorghum molasses have the same affect?

3. RP

Does it have to be Blackstrap Molasses?, I don’t have that name but I do have un-sulfured molasses. Thanks
    People’s Pharmacy Response: Unsulfured molasses is very similar to blackstrap molasses. It should work.

4. sd

From personal experience I can tell you that a bar of soap in your bed is marvelous for leg cramps! Who cares why? It’s harmless. It was even mentioned on the TV show “The Doctors”. Their comment was that it seemed to work for 40% so why not try it. Once in a European hotel my husband had leg cramps, so I just opened a bar of the hotel soap, put it under his leg, and he went back to sleep. Since then I have carried a bar of soap in my travel kit–I like the larger hotel size.

5. Charles

To Blackstrap Molasses remedy contributor.
    Does it matter if we don’t understand how a cake of soap under the sheet could possibly stop us getting cramps? As long as it works, and I can assure you it does, who cares how? 99% of the population has little or no understanding of how man sends rockets into outer space, how the everyday computer or even the internal combustion engine works but these things still happen.
    We shouldn’t question something simply because it’s beyond our knowledge or understanding – just be grateful such an inexpensive and effective remedy for cramps exists. Neither my wife nor I have had a single cramp right through Winter since ramming a cake of soap beneath our bottom bed sheet. I would recommend this remedy to anyone.

6. CHB

I add one tablespoon of molasses each morning to oatmeal which makes it even more flavorful and does help greatly. No more pain, itching, bleeding.

7. LB

Question: does this molasses cause any changes in frequency of bowel movements?

8. RMT

I am reminded of a story from James Herriot’s All Things Bright and Beautiful: He treated a cow’s prolapsed uterus with sugar to reduce swelling and ease replacement.
    Might the molasses work in a similar way?

9. RJ

I was going through chemo last year and one of the side effects of the two chemo drugs I was on was hemorrhoids. My doctor told me that most of her patients suffered with them throughout the chemo treatments and that nothing helped. I would just have to suffer. I tried the blackstrap molasses and in just a few days, the hemorrhoids were gone!
    When I returned to the doctor 3 weeks later she asked how I was surviving the hemorrhoids. I told her they were gone. She couldn’t believe it! Before my appointment was over, the hospital pharmacist had come to see me and she wanted to know the specifics of my treatment. I told her I took 1 tablespoon twice a day and they were gone in a matter of days. I also wrote down “The Peoples Pharmacy” website so she could look it up herself. When I left, she promised she would tell her other patients about my remedy.
    We both agreed there are enough side effects while going through chemo that nobody should have to suffer with hemorrhoids, too.

10. RWR

I am a paraplegic as a result of a spinal cord injury. We evacuate my bowels manually and this has resulted in hemorrhoids which sometimes bleed. I have no feeling at that level so itching and pain are not issues. The piece in the newspaper states “blackjack molasses (unsulfured) can BANISH hemorrhoids”.
    Does it really cause them to shrink and disappear? If so I intend to try it. I don’t have diabetes so assume from the piece that the only downside is extra calories.
    Thanks in advance for your response.