Q. I had been suffering with aching joints for a little over 10 years. Doctors didn’t pay attention because I’m only 37. Yet I could not move well and was in constant pain.
My mom read about taking gelatin to ease joint pain. I didn’t listen, but then she asked me to do her the favor of printing out some info on this subject off the Internet for a friend.
She’s very wise: the friend was me! She knew I would at least try it if I found others online with similar afflictions.
So I gave unflavored gelatin a try, a little bit in a glass of water. I was skeptical but by the third night, I was able to move my toes with no pain!
It had been a decade since I’d felt this good. In about a week and a half after starting, my hands were not swollen and I was able to type, brush my hair and do other tasks I hadn’t been able to do before. To me, it is a personal miracle.

A. We heard about this remedy for joint pain a couple of years ago from a reader who stirs a packet of Knox Gelatine into juice, oatmeal or yogurt every day. You can read more stories on our website, www.peoplespharmacy.com.

1. Cheryl M.

I am a 62 yo nurse with arthritic knees working 8 hour shifts… Have old soccer injury too… Started taking two packets Knox gelatin a day in the Fall and have almost no knee pain any more!!!! My joints seem less slippery, less swollen…
    I also take Vit D and glucosamine and calcium with magnesium … I feel like I am able to exercise more without risking injury… Really looking forward to more outdoor activity!!!! Thank you Knox gelatin!!!!!! So glad to hear others are successful too!!!! Thank you for your wonderful show!!!! I have passed on info to patients and friends when I can and referred them to your website!!!! Thanks so much again!!!!!

2. Kay

Knox gelatin has been around for 200 years or more. It is ground up beef bone marrow. It will not hurt you or conflict with any medicine. You could suck the bone marrow out of a chicken bone and it will do the same thing.

3. Levent

Hi John, do you have the link showing the radio tagged gelatin?
    I was knocked off my bike and tore meniscus and articular knee cartilage. I’ve been consuming gelatin 6 months now and would just like do some more home-work regarding the benefits of gelatin.
    Thanks,
    Levent.

4. john

interesting info on pubmed regarding radio tagged gelatin taken orally. it does accumulate in the tissue at the joint surfaces. So somehow the oral gelatin is finding its way into to the tissue that is on the surface of the bad joints… next question is what signalling systems does it affect in that area to improve the joint pain —? not sure yet. it would be nice if it caused chondrogenesis in the affected joint, and that may end up proving to be the case. time and more study will tell.

5. EAL

Does the knox gelatin have any effect on a daily 81mg. aspirn blood thinner? I would like to try it for the stiffness in my knees. Does it also have an effect on your stomach like the glucosomine and chrotin does?

6. Cindy

I have read on other sites to consume 3 teaspoons of gelatin broken up throughout the day which is the equivalent of 1 tablespoon or 1 Knox packet. Hope this helps.

7. Dan W

Will this work if you’ve made the gelatin into jello?

8. mtdjan

I would like to know how to mix the Certo-liquid jell fruit pectin with grape juice.
    Is it o.k with 1 tsp of Certo in 1 cup of juice ? 1 serving per day or more ? How long it will start to work ?
    Thanks.

9. Juan

I would like to know how much Gelatine to use on a daily basis, should I use it every day and also like to know to use it in water, juice, or in food
    Tank You
    Juan
    People’s Pharmacy response: One packet of unflavored gelatin daily. That is two tablespoons in water, juice, yogurt, oatmeal or other soft food.

10. RJ

How much Gelatin should I take on daily basis – full pack or what? Thanks!!

11. Lainy

I’m very interested in trying this remedy, but how much gelatin does one use? a little bit in a glass of water 3x a day? or a packet? I’d really appreciate an answer

12. Deb

How much, in how much water?

13. Millie C.

You may also want to try pectin (Certo -liquid fruit pectin) I envelope into a 64 oz bottle of Grape Juice. Take 6-8 oz day or more at first is needed. It will take a couple of weeks to kick in, but if you have been taking the gelatin, it will probably not take take long.
    This does work. My sister with 2 same hip replacement still had arthritic pain and I got her to start.
    My friend had had hip replaced and still had arthritic pain, started stopped and started again, and also had same thing recommended by the DR. column in her newspaper.
    Me, I am developing the on coming hip problems and I started and it works.. stop and you will feel the difference.
    I had a radio review with Joe & Terry.. this does work..
    My friend said in her paper you can take 2 or 3 times a day to get started and you won’t need but once after that.
    Good Luck.

14. Grace

This works and take it 3 times per day for one month then once a week. You will feel so much better. Thank you Jesus for the People’s Pharmacy and NPR.