Q. I recently burned two of my fingers on a hot oven. They had already started to blister when I remembered reading about the soy sauce remedy. It was like magic: both the pain and the blisters went away quickly. The next day, I just had two small red marks.
I’ve been fascinated with this. When my son got his fourth huge mosquito bite of the week, I wondered if soy sauce might help reduce the swelling. His eye had swollen shut from a bite on his forehead, so when he was bitten on the cheek I applied some soy sauce to it.
Within minutes, the swelling had receded, and it was completely invisible before he went to bed. Everyone should have soy sauce packets in their first aid kit!

A. Thank you for the hint on mosquito bites. We’ve never heard before that soy sauce might help.
Many other readers agree that soy sauce after cold water can be helpful for easing the pain and redness of kitchen burns. A serious burn deserves prompt medical attention.

1. JannH

Has anyone tried soy sauce for blisters caused by friction rather than burns? Two weeks ago I created a blister on one of my toes when a new sock became wrinkled and rubbed as I walked. Didn’t think of trying soy sauce on it, but wish I had. I’m thinking it would work, but would like to hear from anyone who tries it.
    My main goal was to prevent infection since the blister broke and it didn’t hurt so I used a triple antibiotic ointment, but if I had it to do over (which I hope I don’t), I would try applying some soy sauce for at least a few minutes before each application of the antibiotic ointment. Any thoughts on whether this would work better than just antibiotic ointment? It was a bad blister.
    Would also like to hear from anyone who tries treating friction blisters with the other remedies for burns (e.g., aloe vera) suggested for burns in the comments below.

2. KB

I used soy sauce on burned fingers. It did take the pain away. Even though my fingers were blistered, they began to heal right away. Now two days later they look fine too. I was/am amazed. What is the difference between soy sauce and aloe vera?

3. MF

I am very bothered by mosquito and other insect bites. The bites swell and itch for up to a week and none of the usual remedies work. The most effective one has been Lanacane but it has required frequent applications. Cortisone creams, even prescription strength not at all! When I read the post about soy sauce I was skeptical, but I thought I’d try it. It works!
    The itch went away the day I was bitten AND NEVER RETURNED and the swelling disappeared within a day. It just required a little dab, a few drops. I will be stocking up on the soy sauce envelopes at Chinese restaurants to take along on trips.
    Incidentally, I am 64 years old and have been suffering from these bites for many, many years. Why has no one discovered this before??

4. Pat

I have been using Vitamin E for many years for miner burns and cuts. Run cold water on burn for a few minutes, then puncture a Vitsmin E capsule with a sterilized needle and squeeze onto burn, cover with a bandaid for at least 12 hours. The pain is relieved immediately and there is no mark.

5. DC

Are there any studies, as opposed to anecdotal sources, showing that soy relieves burn pain and aids healing? I recently suffered second degree burns on my hand. I used ice cold water immediately and it helped, but I could not go on doing that indefinitely (while I slept).
    I googled the topic and did not find much. I then called the Kaiser Permanente advice nurse. To alleviate the pain she recommended 100% natural aloe vera which is sold cheaply at most drug stores. It worked like magic and I keep some in the house and travel with it. However, I am doubtful that it expedites healing.

6. Sue

Browning for meats work just as well too.