Q. My 92-year-old Mom began having excruciating ankle pain about four months ago. She has seen five doctors, including three podiatrists, a chiropractor and an emergency room visit. They all said her pain was due to osteoarthritis or plantar fasciitis.
While researching ankle pain I discovered that gout can sometimes affect other joints besides the big toe and that celery seed extract may be helpful. I bought some for my mother and after a week or two she says her ankle pain is gone although she still has occasional shooting pain into her big toe.
I feel better having her on celery seed extract rather than the ibuprofen she was taking. We were both worried about the possible side effects of that drug.

A. Gout can indeed affect other joints besides the big toe, and the pain can be excruciating. Many medications can raise uric acid levels and increase the likelihood of developing gout.
Drugs to lower uric acid levels can help manage gout. Celery seed extract and tart cherries are home remedies for gout, and celery seed has anti-inflammatory effects (Inflammopharmacology, Dec., 2003).

1. Elisebtx

We found the celery seed extract to be extremely effective against all kinds of inflammation. Take as directed on the bottle (25-50 drops in a small amount of water 2-3x/day). Works on back pain, joint pains, intestinal inflammation and irritation. Soothed the pain better than prescription pain killers and has no side effects.
    The extract seems to be more potent than brewing tea from the celery leaves (which was still quite effective). Is this safe to take over time (say, a month)? Does it lower uric acid levels?
    People’s Pharmacy response: We believe it is safe, and it is said to lower uric acid levels.

2. CA

Do celery seed, cherry juice, Certo, grape juice interact with Coumadin?
    People’s Pharmacy response: We don’t think so.

3. HA

I think I have gout in my feet. I feel like I am walking on rocks. My toes are hard to bend. My feet hurt. I can’t stand blankets at night on my feet. What do you suggest to alleviate this problem?

4. cpmt

THANK you for the answer, My question is if a diabetic person will be OK, or able to take the cherry extract with no side effects -high sugar-? Thank you.

5. darling daughter

My 91 year old healthy and happy mom has a severely curved spine and deformed fingers. She has two sisters who are also stooped over. This longevity is a huge blessing for our family. She experiences no pain and is generally a healthy person. I asked if she has osteoperosis, but she said no. She has kyphosis and some form of arthritis in her hands that is not painful, but makes it difficult for her to open jars and other things.
    She tells me that the only thing she should have done and advice for me and her grand kids is to be more disciplined about standing up straight. I’m trying, but after a long career in front of a computer I am beginning to see a dowagers hump and worry about the next generation. I find it hard to believe that bad posture is all there is to such a severely curved spine. Other perspectives on this are most welcome!

6. ms

Please answers these questions….
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: ONE DOSE THAT HAS BEEN RECOMMENDED IS 75 TO 150 MG OF THE EXTRACT DAILY. WE WERE UNABLE TO FIND A STUDY CONFIRMING THIS.
    WE DON’T KNOW IF TAKING 1/4 TEASPOON TO 1/2 TEASPOON OF CELERY SEED FROM THE SPICE RACK, TWICE A DAY WOULD WORK THE SAME. IT IS PROBABLY SAFE ENOUGH TO TRY, EXCEPT FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE AN ALLERGY TO IT.

7. Jenny

We bought celery seed and cherry extract capsules at a vitamin shop. The celery seed was inexpensive. The cherry extract was pricey. My mom takes two celery seed capsules twice daily. She couldn’t wait to see her doctor to show him how much better her legs looked.

8. egr

I have suddenly developed swollen & painful ankles along with the pain in my feet. I was told that I have Neuropathy in my feet, but now I wonder if it is Gout?
    How do I take the Celery seed? How much and how often?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: WE FOUND A RECOMMENDATION FOR 75 TO 150 MG/DAY OF CELERY SEED EXTRACT. WE DON’T KNOW HOW MUCH CELERY SEED THAT COMES TO: PERHAPS A TEASPOON OR TWO A DAY.

9. Dawn

Would love to try this–but not enough info here.

10. victoria b. l.

How do I take it and where do I buy celery seed extract???

11. I.C.

How much and how do you take it? I would like to use it for its anti inflammatory
    effects.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: SOME SOURCES RECOMMEND 75 TO 150 MG/DAY OF THE EXTRACT.

12. cpmt

Can you take it with salads or soups? Please advise amount and how to take it. Thanks
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: YOU COULD USE IT WITH SALAD OR SOUP. IT IS NOT CLEAR HOW MUCH CELERY SEED YOU WOULD NEED TO RELIEVE GOUT.

13. Jenny

My Mom suffered from gout for 12 years. I bought her celery seed extract and cherry extract. She was pain free the very next day. Three days later the swelling had abated significantly. The results were amazing and she is still using both products to keep the inflammation at bay. She just takes the amount recommended by the manufacturer.

14. BJT

You don’t say what the dosage is. Please advise.

15. mb

So how do you take the celery seed and how much? Would eating celery have any effect or just the seed?
    (My dr. has not diagnosed me with gout, but he said that it is lupus induced arthritis or some such thing, which I am still in denial about, arthritis I might buy, but not necessarily lupus. He has prescribed 2 tablets of Hydroxycholroquine which I haven’t taken yet. I know my sister-in-law developed gout after taking Hydrochlorathiazide, which I have been taking for the last year as well.)