Q. Several years ago a friend recommended a remedy for arthritis and tendinitis. It was raisins soaked in apple cider vinegar and honey INSTEAD of in gin. When I found that it worked I wrote you and you printed the letter.
Lately several people have written looking for alternatives to raisins in gin. I think it might be helpful to repeat the advice to substitute apple cider vinegar. That way more people would learn about a helpful approach for arthritis and still avoid liquor if they wished to. The “gin” routine seems to be widely known, but the alternative isn’t. Thank you for considering this.

A. Many people like the raisin remedy, but it’s not the only natural approach for easing arthritis pain. There are many other options in our Guide to Alternatives for Arthritis. To make non-alcoholic raisins, pour two parts vinegar and one part honey over golden raisins and allow them to soak.

1. Rocket Scientist

Yes. It is the white grapes that contain the substance(s) that reduces inflammation.

2. Rocket Scientist

6 ounces every evening. I find this is pretty much like taking a pain killer. It is a treatment, not a cure. May work for two nights.

3. JAK

Do you have to use yellow raisins? I’m having a hard time finding them in the stores. Thanks.

4. phb

One item mentioned the white grape juice and pectin – then how much do you drink – and how often??????

5. Kathy D

I’ve never heard if the raisin therapy before, but I’ve heard about ppl saying if you drink one tall glass of pure grape juice daily, you won’t get sick…. My best remedy for arthritis/joint/muscle pain is to eliminate WHEAT… Works within days!!!

6. RD

I am looking for something that may work for my mom who suffers with terrible arthritis. She is ready to try anything but she is a diabetic. Has any diabetic tried this before?
    People’s Pharmacy response: If you leave out the honey, vinegar-soaked raisins might not raise blood sugar. (Be sure to measure her blood sugar to make sure)

7. beau10

One additional thing re gin & raisins (most important first): I stir the raisins as they absorb the gin, otherwise the top raisins get rather hard and not plump.

8. Helen M

After the raisins plump up, there still may be some gin residue in them. I don’t know if this is a problem or not as to the workings of the raisins, but I wait until I can no longer taste the gin. My mouth is my laboratory. However, I must confess, I like them best when you can still taste the gin. Kind of a raisin gin tonic in my mouth!

9. Rocket Scientist

Raisin/gin soaking time – just wait until the raisins plump up. This is not an instant cure like the white grape juice and pectin is for bursitis. This builds in the body. It will take a few weeks to know how much good it does for her problem.

10. Rocket Scientist

FYI – My LDL cholesterol reading jumps 20 to 30 points when I take glucosamine-chondroitin. It could be a false reading. I thought of abstaining for a week beforehand to check this. However, my symptoms are minor so I just quite taking it.

11. beau10

Put raisins into bowl, cover with gin, wait until the gin is gone. Presto! Ingest! An interesting side-effect is all insects seem to leave my gin-soaking raisins very, quite alone.

12. beau10

The California raisin producers should hire me as an advertising tool as I irritate friends and others by yapping re gin-soaked raisins. After an article on this site re unflavored gelatin, I added that to my ingestion-inventory and after DAMNED GOOD results I also added the gelatin to my verbal inventory. I take glucosamine-chondroitine also.
    My aging best-buddy canine was developing a limp. I fed him the gelatin and glucosamine-chondroitin and by-golly the limp is gone and he can chase a ball. Perhaps some could attribute my results to a placebo-effect – but not my dog. He can’t read.
    My condition had deteriorated to the point where I was in serious pain and syn-visc was recommended as therapy. Not anymore. If anyone gives it a try, give it some time – the affect is not instantaneous. Before surgery or other invasive procedures, this is worth a try.

13. Rocket Scientist

White grape juice and pectin. The recipe told to me was one 3-oz packet of Certo liquid pectin to 64 ounces of white grape juice. You should start with this recipe.
    Concerned about calories, I experimented with diluting and find I still get full relief with 32 oz juice and 32 oz water. People are different sizes and ailments vary, too.

14. Susana G.

I will like to know how to fix the grape juice with the pectin, can you share that with me? I do, also have bursitis.

15. Helen M

You cover the raisins with the gin, just cover. The container can be covered too, but to promote absorption and evaporation, I leave mine uncovered. As soon as the raisins have absorbed all the liquid and you cannot taste the gin, they are ready. There may be some syrup. At this point they can be stored in a lock and lock container.
    My sister refrigerated hers, I don’t. I eat between 9 and 13 raisins a day; I just listen to my body as to the quantity. After I have my portion, I don’t feel a need for anymore. I have been doing this for seven or eight years and the feeling of sleeping on knives is gone.
    If I should stop for some reason, within a few days, the knives are back. When I started the raisins, they worked within a few weeks. They do not help with the arthritis in my knees. Who knows. They gave my sister almost complete relief in her knees.

16. Helen M

Tho this method would cost a lot less than a bottle of good gin, I think all that honey, on top of sweet raisins, would be a problem for my blood sugar control. Has anyone with diabetes tried this remedy?

17. Patric F.

There has been a lot of information about the golden raisins and gin (or vinegar) arthritis remedy but there are a few things I would like to ask:
    1) How long do the raisins soak before consuming them?
    2) Are the raisins to be refrigerated during and/or after soaking?
    3) How much should be consumed during the day?
    4) Do you have any statistics on the success of this remedy?
    Thanks and keep up the Great work!
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: SOAK THE RAISINS UNTIL THERE IS NO VISIBLE GIN PUDDLED IN THE CONTAINER. THEY NEED NOT BE REFRIGERATED, BUT WE LIKE TO REFRIGERATE THEM AFTER SOAKING. THEY SHOULD BE STORED IN AN AIRTIGHT CONTAINER. THE DAILY DOSE IS 9 RAISINS. IT’S A HOME REMEDY: THERE ARE NO STATISTICS!

18. Rocket Scientist

To relieve tightness in my finger joints, I’ve been taking the raisin-gin remedy for nearly 20 years. Recently, for hip bursitis, I began an evening drink of white grape juice and pectin. A friend says white wine is the Italian remedy for joint pain. All of these go back to green grapes. Do you know what the active compound is?

19. Torrence B.

I would like to try the raisin remedy for my wife but you didn’t say how long to let them soak. Is there a time frame to be followed? Thank you.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: SOAK THEM UNTIL THERE IS NO LONGER A PUDDLE OF GIN (OR VINEGAR). THEN STORE IN AN AIRTIGHT CONTAINER.